Very nice work.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2017, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranth
very nice work.
yes!
Apr 16, 2017, 05:57 AM
Thanks. Will work on the main again tonight. Visiting my mom right now. Kookaburra II looks great too.
Lars
Apr 17, 2017, 10:43 AM
Well, a man cold slowed me down today. I have got a fever all day, and only did a few things to the boat. I did manufacture a toggle for the forestay.

I taped the jib to the mast, for it to "un roll". Will hopefully install the jib tomorrow if I feel better.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:26 AM
I hope to work on the boat some more this weekend. I have been down with the flue all week...
Not complaining, it's not cancer, but it does put a hault on the stuff you enjoy doing.

//Lars
Yesterday, 03:26 PM
Worked on the jib sheet system today. I used a 2.4mm stainless steel welding rod as a self tacking jib rail.

It feels a little bit flimsy, but the posts I used (also stainless) can be drilled to 3mm dia.

I think it will hold, since the main force will be when the jib sheet is close to the posts.
I positioned the rail as close to the mast as I could, for the jib to be as large as it can be, mainly for looks.

Sorry for bad picture. You get the drift. The room has poor lighting and it's dark now.

The two round washers underneath the posts are hand made from 1mm stainless steel... No lathe used...
I used my belt sander and grind them down to a circle. Two little pieces took a good hour and a half (time to figure out how to make them).

When I used to have access to a prototype shop at the old factory, those two pieces would have taken five minutes to make...
Last edited by larsli68; Yesterday at 03:31 PM.
Yesterday, 03:45 PM
I started working on a 3D drawing of a sail mold today. The idea behind this is to build a sail mold that I can use to produce radial cut sails for Australia II.

I will test build this. The "mold" will be 2400mm long and 900mm wide at the base.
If it works, I will be happy to share the drawings with you guys. I'm not being too scientific about the design. I use my eye and what I think works.

//Lars