Jan 09, 2013, 05:04 PM
If you want bristol board, use a postcard. Same difference and probably free if you have any holidaying friends!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2013, 05:18 AM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom
If you want bristol board, use a postcard. Same difference and probably free if you have any holidaying friends!
Thanks for that. There's a stack of file dividers lurking in the bottom of my stationery draw that are about the same thickness as postcards so they should do the job nicely.
I'm becoming more and more tempted to shun the cartridge paper in favour of Solarfilm matt polyester. It would probably mean adding some extra ribs to the wing but at 80gsm there would still be some weight saved as cartridge paper comes in at around 200gsm + paint.
Jan 10, 2013, 05:40 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Might be a good idea, reading the original text with the plan it is clear that GW went for the cartridge paper option because he wanted to do the very elaborate Skyspread colour scheme and couldn't face the prospect of doing it on tissue and then having it ruined the first time the model glided into a hedge! So since you are not using this scheme, a revised structure with more ribs and alternative covering makes sense
Jan 12, 2013, 05:14 PM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
At first, I liked the idea of trying something different but having suffered sufficient brain strain interpreting the plans for the fuselage, it will be slightly comforting to return to something more conventional. And I still have the challenge of replicating Mr Wooll's delightful sprung U/C strut.

The basic fuselage structure is starting to look OK and when the glue is set - I'm using PVA with just a dab of CA in awkward places where I need a quick stick - and I've tidied up some of the rough bits I'd better take a picture for the record.

In the occasional spare moment, while waiting for PVA to set, I've been perusing a few more build logs. This has encouraged me to go for built up tail feathers instead of the original solid 1/8th" balsa. I particularly like the criss cross braced style much loved by George (SD) among others and I think that even the control surfaces are large enough to benefit from this method.
Jan 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
I've done enough of the fuselage, including some of the side sheet, so that it's rigid enough to remove from the plan. It was built upside down as the top is the only area flat enough. There was considerable use of my trusty ruler and a sheet of thin cardboard was used to make angle templates. I'm sure that some kind of fuselage jig would have made it easier but only half the fun!

I've decided where all the leccy bits will go but though I'll make 2 hatches in the bottom to allow access to the battery, motor, ESC and receiver, for access to the servos, I'm just going to cut a hole in the top sheeting which will be covered by the Solarfilm.

I toyed with the idea of a closed loop rudder but have decided to use Multiplex snakes hidden inside the rear fuselage. They are only about 3mm thick with a thin wire and concentric plastic tubes to add rigidity and very free operation. They work very well on my Easy Star and Fun Cub. Foamies!!

So here are some Photos with a couple of Mrs M's best clothes pegs.
Jan 13, 2013, 04:22 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
From the plan view image, covering looks like it will provide a few hours of splendidly uninhibited swearing....oh sorry, I mean 'entertainment'.
Jan 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
Yep, putting the clothes on this one isn't going to be straightforward! But then we know you like a challenge
Jan 13, 2013, 04:51 PM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
One reason for trying the matt polyester, it's supposed to be a bit more flexible and shrinkable. You just gotta have Faith! At least the wings should be easy. Now that's Hope! I just may need a bit of Charity before this is finished - she's the blond from Emmerdale!
Jan 20, 2013, 10:15 AM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
There's now some sheeting on the front fuz with cutouts for windows There's quite a lot of glazing to be done and I'm trying to be as accurate as I'm able with the scale appearance, particularly as Mr Woolls has given so much detail on the plan. - I'll have to drink some more lemonade. Well it does dilute the Whisky a bit! (Apologies to any of our Scottish friends who hate to see their national drink contaminated.)

I've also managed to carve and fit the base of the luggage compartment which will probably be the only part covered with card. Carving is not my favourite occupation and the cockpit roof is going to challenge my abilities. I may need to purchase more 4 x1 soft balsa!

The leccy bits are all in place, including a satellite receiver for the Orange Rx and the tailplane (stabilizer) is dry fitted. I'm glad that I went with a built up one rather than solid sheet.
Jan 20, 2013, 11:14 AM
At one point earlier you mentioned finding it difficult to "interpret" parts of the plan. Gee, I wonder why? This is what I would define as beyond my abilities and you seem to be breezing through it - and making a really nice job of it too! It still amazes me that flat balsa can be cut and glued to so closely resemble an aircraft like this. Let's face it, this is not your average subject!

Very nicely done, mixer!
Jan 20, 2013, 11:14 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
That is looking superb, Mike!

Given the odd shape of the completed fuz, it only follows that it won't be a simple box framework structure!!
Jan 20, 2013, 01:09 PM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
Thank you for the kind comments. I really have had problems with the drawing, mainly trying to decide what is structure and what is decoration for scale appearance. For some parts I've had to study photos of the real thing but comments like those make all the brain pain worthwhile.
Jan 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
Here here to those remarks. Mike, you are making a really good job of a difficult subject - but looking on the bright side at least when you get to them the wings are constant chord
Jan 21, 2013, 05:42 AM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Here here to those remarks. Mike, you are making a really good job of a difficult subject - but looking on the bright side at least when you get to them the wings are constant chord
That's the reason for starting with the fuz. If the pain gets too much, I can relax with some gentle rib cutting!
Jan 31, 2013, 01:21 PM
Agricultural flyer
Thread OP
I was going to wait until the fuz was ready to cover but having seen the progress others are making and, of course, there's always more to do than you think, so I thought I'd better post an update.

The main sheeting is done and the block carving just needs final sanding to shape. The radio gear and all electrics are in place. I've finally decided that the battery pack will be mounted vertically in the rear cabin, just forward of the CoG.

The servos and snakes are all in place and tested.

I tried several different types of card / board to cover the pod but I was so pleased with the 1/32" sheet on the top, I'm using that in panels supported by 1/4" x 1/16" joining strips. The 1/16" sheet around the nose was fun but a good steaming and a lot of patience did the trick.

Apart from finishing the pod and final sanding I have the tailplane pad to fit - getting it level will be a challenge- then there are the two hatches to make and fit. The front one, for access to the motor and ESC will be semi-permanent but the rear one will have to be quick release for the battery.

I need to trial fit the windscreen to determine the final shape of the cockpit roof and I still haven't decided if I'm going to incorporate the two little roof windows. All the glazing can be done after covering the fuz. All except the windscreen will be made of inkjet printable clear sheet glued from the inside. The windscreen will be the biggest problem as it will have to be glued on the outside so I'll need some ideas to cover the edges.

Quick Reply