Dec 18, 2003, 12:25 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
Thread OP

Pat Trittle Dare Luscombe Silvair

Well I have this kit. It has been sitting on my closet shelf for nearly 2 years now. Think it might be time to try and built her.

Anybody built one? Any tips or gotcha's with this sexy bird?

Thanks in advance,

Mike N
Twmaster
Last edited by Twmaster; Dec 18, 2003 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2003, 06:08 PM
Mike, The Luscombe is a lot more stable and flyable then the full scales' reputation would lead yo to believe. The only catch, and it's absolutely true of any of these smallish models, is keep it light. I'm still flying the p-type, and I'm always in awe of how nice and forgiving the model is---your gonna' to love it!
PAT
Dec 19, 2003, 06:19 PM
Thread OP
52 inches is smallish?

Thanks for the tip. I have a love of the cabin monoplanes of that era so this should be sweet.

--
Mike N
Twmaster
Dec 19, 2003, 06:31 PM
Well, sorta!?! I've been dabbling in Geared S-400 light planes in the 525 sq. in. range lately, so the 310 sq. in. is starting to look small to me again. It's all realative. The good news, is that the Luscombe doesn't fly "small".
PAT
Jan 10, 2004, 10:00 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
Mike N ,
Did you ever get it built?
I would be interested in how it came out. I am building one now.
Wes
Jan 10, 2004, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
No I haven't started on it yet. Most likely won't until near the end of winter as I am concentrating right now on my indoor free flight stuff.

--
Mike N
Twmaster
Aug 19, 2005, 06:34 PM
Pat,
Did you ever think of designing and kitting the aeronca 11 ac and 7ac champ for 2channel electric? they would be awsome flyers at 50-60ish size. I have a friend that flys both these planes and gives me rides all the time, they are real nice looking and float along so nicely.
Aug 19, 2005, 08:39 PM
1, Actually, I have the plans about 2/3 drawn for the 4 channel 60" Champ for geared S-400 now, and Dare will be kitting it once it's done. If it flies anything at all like the 60" J-3, it'll be great!!! I'll definately run a thread when the time comes.
PAT
Aug 20, 2005, 08:12 AM
Awsome to hear this news PAT, been wanting a aeronca for awhile. I fly on three channels, rudder elevator and throttle. will you be making it that builders will have a choice of three channel instead of 4?
Aug 20, 2005, 08:52 AM
1, You're in luck! The Airknocker will be set up to be built either with, or without ailerons. The Cub was designed the same way. The good news is that the kit will include enough parts to build it either way, without having to modify any parts. I really like flying 3 channel airplanes too, but these bigger park flyers with ailerons fly really well on 4 ch. too.
PAT
Aug 20, 2005, 12:15 PM
Maybe i`ll learn 4 ch someday,maybe the aeronca will be my first 4 ch plane . It will most likely be slow and easy to learn on. I like the flying boat on the Dare site, I will definitly be getting one of those. I have a nice pond in my area.

Roger
Aug 20, 2005, 04:36 PM
1, Flying the Champ with rudder and ailerons will undoubtedly be, like with the Cub, an exersize in rudder/aileron coordination -- just like with the full scale. The really cool part of it all is that once you get proficient with flying it in a scale like manner using all 4 flight controls (yes, that includes the throttle too) you can have a ball side slipping and doing flat turns and other exersizes in cross control manouvers. It's FUN!
PAT
Aug 20, 2005, 04:43 PM
designer/builder

Oh Goody!

Hey Pat,

I can't wait to get your up-coming Champ!!! (I was hoping you would do one! ) I'm restoring a 150hp Champ right now and it would be a great fun to build a matching scale model of it. In fact, I can't resist showing a picture of the fuselage that is now about to be covered.

Cheers!

Rob
Aug 20, 2005, 05:07 PM
Rob, The only official dual time I've actually done was in a 1946, 75 horse Champ. A great flying airplane, and loved the spins! Will probably do the p-type in the early yellow and red 7AC scheme, since I rode in one like that when I was too small to see over the panel -- such fond memories.
PAT
Aug 20, 2005, 06:04 PM
designer/builder
Nice!

Here is a photo of the sister ship to mine. This plane is ser# 32 and mine is ser# 30. This was the paint scheme it came with and is what I'll be putting it back to. I'm going to use a light cream and red with a slight burgundy tint to it.

It's a 1958 7GC made by Champion who took over when Aeronca went under. The plane came from the factory with a Lycoming 0-290 (130 hp) and it had an 0-320 (150 hp) installed in the late 60's to tow gliders. She had a hard life towing for many years before I rescued her and what began as a simple re-cover job turned into a full frame up restoration. Fun but lots of work.

Keep up the great work my friend!

Rob

Quick Reply