Feb 19, 2013, 01:39 PM
X-1 is fun indoor Quad. Its way to slow outside if you get hit with a breeze. Even V929 has some issues with small amount of wind but ok. Great Quad for $$.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2013, 05:17 PM
night is right for flight!

burnout!

so i was flying on the street in front of my house the other night about 9:30pm when i crashed in a neighbor's back yard. many times i've been able to recover by flying out or off a neighbor's roof, but on occasion i've had the opportunity to meet my neighbors. i saw the lights were still on so i knocked and the lady & her kids kindly retrieved my quad from her back yard. i had been working on some mods and had both the body & plastic pcb cover off when i crashed, landing upside down. the smell of burning was evident when she handed it to me, now one motor spins slowly on it's own when a battery is installed but does not spin at all when powering up. i don't see any arcing on the led wires i installed, i'm guessing the wet grass did the damage. from reading --Oz--'s description of the pcb i see that's the transistors driving the motors. think it's repairable or am i grounded until my new X-1 arrives?
Feb 19, 2013, 06:12 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunnus
i don't see any arcing on the led wires i installed, i'm guessing the wet grass did the damage. from reading --Oz--'s description of the pcb i see that's the transistors driving the motors. think it's repairable or am i grounded until my new X-1 arrives?
I think its repairable, it looks like the minus (-) motor wire is able to short to the positive motor wire, this will send high current though the FET (almost a direct battery short) and let the magic smoke out.

When I looked up the dual FET rating, it was any where from 2A to 6A. You could remove the bad FET, clean pcb and check for smoked tracers, then take the good FET and put in the bad FETs place, if it works (the two motors spin fine), then order you a new FET.

Good luck
Feb 19, 2013, 07:41 PM
Is there consensus on the best replacement batteries for the buck or use the stock??? One battery is silly. Also what is the C rating of the stock battery. I must have missed that somewhere. Thanks.
Feb 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf View Post
Is there consensus on the best replacement batteries for the buck or use the stock??? One battery is silly. Also what is the C rating of the stock battery. I must have missed that somewhere. Thanks.
I'm very pleased with the 350mah stock battery.

Cheap; good power; reasonably lightweight; adequate flight time for my taste (easy to pop in another one if I want more); never gotten a bad one (I have four); works safely with the stock charger (although I use a high-quality programmable charger); and fits in the X1's mount like a glove.

I have plenty of other batteries that I could use instead, but I don't see any big reason to do so.

Stock batteries......for the "by the book" guy.........lol

PS - The stock battery's C rating? Who knows....but it seems quite satisfactory. I usually charge it at around 2C.

Feb 19, 2013, 09:36 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Has anyone worked with the LED bars that are listed in post 2 of this thread? Can you wire these directly in line with the flight battery or do you also need a resistor in series to make them work properly?
Feb 19, 2013, 09:48 PM
Trees are bad
I wired these http://http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-4-X-Rc-Decorative-Led-Light-Bar-For-Rc-Helicopter-Quadcopter-p-51434.html directly to my power leads and they work geat. I can't say how long they will last without a resistor but I would think since they blink instead of being on constant it would be less of a problem?
Feb 19, 2013, 10:17 PM
Hi guys,
I too like everything about this machine except for the range. So I decided to go for this transmitter rx combo:http://www.xheli.com/79p-th9x-r9b-9channel-radio.html

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can confirm that it would bind with the x1.

A short video of the last time I flew out of range:
I killed the 808 #16 camera (2 min 44 sec)
Feb 19, 2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCrash1
Hi guys,
I too like everything about this machine except for the range. So I decided to go for this transmitter rx combo:http://www.xheli.com/79p-th9x-r9b-9channel-radio.html

It would be greatly appreciated if someone can confirm that it would bind with the x1.

You should be just fine.

I've got the Turnigy 9x and use it to fly my x1. The link above is the original radio that mine is a rebrand of.
Feb 19, 2013, 10:30 PM
Trees are bad
I'm happy with my X1 but I wouldn't recomend it to someone who doesn't have a 9X due to the range issue. Happen to notice that HK US has them in stock. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html
Last edited by Stevez1kart; Feb 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Feb 19, 2013, 10:33 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez1kart View Post
I'm happy with my X1 but I would I wouldn't recomend it to someone how doesn't have a 9X due to the rage issue. Happen to notice that HK US has them in stock yesterday. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19673__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_R eceiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_USA_Warehouse_.html
... now THAT's a good one
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Feb 19, 2013, 10:38 PM
Trees are bad
Sorry that's range not rage and who not how. Me brain work slooooow.
Feb 19, 2013, 10:49 PM
LOL. The last thing we need are more angry birds!
Feb 19, 2013, 11:05 PM
Trees are bad
Ok I had one more beer and did one more edit. Hope the angry birds are happy now!
Feb 19, 2013, 11:22 PM
Trees are bad
As long as I’m here I might as well show how I finally broke my X1. Got it high enough to where I lost orientation and decided to cut power instead of landing on someone’s roof. Broke a prop and bent a shaft. Great fun for about 2$ in parts.
X1 Night Crash (1 min 18 sec)

Quick Reply