Aug 16, 2014, 11:40 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Yea, that is about what I thought. I just wanted to get a motor to use in a plane I have.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2014, 12:22 AM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"

Battery Tests

Hey Everyone,

I recently started testing flight times vs. weight vs. different batteries. All tests so far have been with my Syma X1 V4 (nQX board and DIY frame). I just received some new 750mAh batteries today and they're 6g heavier (20g) than my 600mAh batteries (14g). I tested one just now, and it increased my flight time quite a bit.

Also interesting is the comparison between 600mAh batteries "F" and "I" in my chart. Both bought at the same time. Both charged the same way in my Traxxas charger. Both used roughly the same number of times (I've been rotating through the letters F to I as I fly). But, battery "I" lasts a good minute and a half longer than "F". Hmmm.
Aug 17, 2014, 02:03 AM
Embrace the suck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Yea, that is about what I thought. I just wanted to get a motor to use in a plane I have.
Ask Benedikt, he mentioned to me once in the past that he was thinking about offering individual motors for plane guys...he may like the input to help decide what to get, or even want a beta tester...who knows?
Aug 17, 2014, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Same answer. I have two modules installed in my Devo, one for Flysky, another one for Hubsan. But the same modules support more than a protocol each. So, now, my Devo controls about half a dozen of protocols I use.

How did you score a new 7E for $40?
Some ebay seller. Had a overstock of them do they where for bids
Aug 17, 2014, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob215 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I recently started testing flight times vs. weight vs. different batteries. All tests so far have been with my Syma X1 V4 (nQX board and DIY frame). I just received some new 750mAh batteries today and they're 6g heavier (20g) than my 600mAh batteries (14g). I tested one just now, and it increased my flight time quite a bit.

Also interesting is the comparison between 600mAh batteries "F" and "I" in my chart. Both bought at the same time. Both charged the same way in my Traxxas charger. Both used roughly the same number of times (I've been rotating through the letters F to I as I fly). But, battery "I" lasts a good minute and a half longer than "F". Hmmm.
I ordered a battery for $4 from shengzen. It's 900mah and powers my x1 for 20+ minutes... btw guys I broke my x1 today...
Aug 18, 2014, 01:54 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
Way off topic, I know. But I was just browsing around and came across the cutest thing, I think:

USB Bladeless Fan/Speakers/Mic

I wonder if it works well. It would look so cute on my desk. Very curious.
Aug 18, 2014, 02:59 AM
HP,

When I had my custom shop,
one of my paint reps came in with a bladeless fan..
I got to try it out for heping force-cure water based paint when airbrushing..

That one worked great.. it kept a nice even flow of air over the work area,
and the nice thing is, it didn't stir up any dust..

The only downside to it.. The cost.. It was a few hundred bucks..
Dyson makes some nice ones, but they're up there in price too..
Aug 18, 2014, 03:14 AM
Thread OP
Dyson is very innovative. Innovation takes R&D and drives cost up.

Then there are copy cats. They either copy the technology, or they produce something that only looks like the original. I don't even know what this fan holds. FWIW, it might be just an internal fan, blowing air out of a circular opening. And the idea of marrying a Fan and a Mic, what were they thinking?

Anyway, the product is still cute like a button. I don't know how much longer I could resist pushing the BUY button. LOL
Aug 18, 2014, 08:11 AM
Autopilot no control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
FWIW, it might be just an internal fan, blowing air out of a circular opening.
That is actually exactly how it works. There is a turbine in the base pushing air out of the circle. It is more of a blade-hidden fan.
Aug 18, 2014, 06:44 PM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"

Almost lost my X1 getting this shot...

Here's a single, unedited frame from a video I shot with my custom X1 and 808 "B" lens camera...

This is probably the highest I've ever had my X1. Based on the height of nearby apartment buildings, my guess is somewhere between 180 and 200 feet. It had disappeared from my line of sight. Then, I COMPLETELY LOST my FPV video signal a few seconds after this frame! I did a quick u-turn and luckily the FPV feed came back as soon as I turned around!! It was scary!

The video itself isn't great. The camera wobbles around too much on my anti-jello mount. My mount works perfectly in a hover or slow drift when the wind is ZERO. Unfortunately, any fast forward speed, any wind, or any combination of the two, results in camera shake/wobble. I'm working on some new mounts that will hopefully still be effective at killing jello but will hold the camera more steadily.
Aug 18, 2014, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Rob, I notice that you fly FPV alone. That is something that I would be afraid to do. If I ever lost control of my RC aircraft, I would never know where it went down because I wasn't maintaining LOS with it. I imagine that if I ever get to flying FPV, I would have to have a spotter standing next to me to spot my aircraft while I look intensely into the FPV screen display. What you do is very brave to me.
Aug 18, 2014, 07:23 PM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob215 View Post
Here's a single, unedited frame from a video I shot with my custom X1 and 808 "B" lens camera...

This is probably the highest I've ever had my X1. Based on the height of nearby apartment buildings, my guess is somewhere between 180 and 200 feet. It had disappeared from my line of sight. Then, I COMPLETELY LOST my FPV video signal a few seconds after this frame! I did a quick u-turn and luckily the FPV feed came back as soon as I turned around!! It was scary!

The video itself isn't great. The camera wobbles around too much on my anti-jello mount. My mount works perfectly in a hover or slow drift when the wind is ZERO. Unfortunately, any fast forward speed, any wind, or any combination of the two, results in camera shake/wobble. I'm working on some new mounts that will hopefully still be effective at killing jello but will hold the camera more steadily.
Sounds awesome Rob. I just got my 10mw transmitter in. I had an idea to use the 808's internal battery to power both the camera and the transmitter. What do you think? I've got some DIY usb plugs for the video cable to go to the transmitter. If I had the ability, it would seem a direct connection to the camera would be possible... but I lack that ability...

I read that the camera eats maybe 300ma max, and the transmitter eats 70. So I only would get 30-40 mins of video... I don't care about the recording time so much...
Last edited by Jmel; Aug 18, 2014 at 07:33 PM.
Aug 18, 2014, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv2012 View Post
I ordered a battery for $4 from shengzen. It's 900mah and powers my x1 for 20+ minutes... btw guys I broke my x1 today...
Broke meaning totaled?
Hope it's fixable. I had mine out today and always wonder what next for that thing.

A Mighty Wind (3/10) Movie CLIP - Wha' Happened? (2003) HD (2 min 26 sec)
Last edited by stuartambient; Aug 18, 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Aug 18, 2014, 07:54 PM
If the FAA gets what they want you'll be required to have a LOS spotter when flying FPV.
Aug 18, 2014, 09:07 PM
GOT WINGS
Wow Heli Pad, what a revelation, No FPV!? I thought I was the only one left not flying FPV. I'm not even that interested in it yet, I would rather spend my small budget on building and mods.

Quick Reply