Aug 13, 2014, 10:46 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob215 View Post
Hey, does anyone know anything about the Syma X5? I've watched some videos on YouTube and it looks like it uses the same props and motor mounts as the X1 and they just put a mini "DJI Phantom" body on it. It has LEDs on the bottom and they have a version with a camera (X5C). The radio looks exactly the same as the one for the X1.

Supposedly it has a 6-axis gyro with an accelerometer. Can anyone confirm this?
Rob,

I do have an X5C and I started writing a review about it, but I never finished it and I didn't post it.

In a nutshell, the X5 is similar to the X1 in size and share some of the same parts. Instead of a Frame and CF rod arms design, it uses a plastic shell, shaped like a Phantom. The shell offers an enclosure for the FC and for the batteries, but it also acts like a bit like a kite. It has LED under the arms to help visibility. It has an ON/OFF switch. It does sport a 6-Axis gyro, but my X1 flies just as smooth.

In addition to the X5, there is a X5C that has an optional camera. The camera is the "best looking" camera in the market. It integrates with the body shell nicely, and it reminds me of the hull of the USS Enterprise of Star Trek. However, the video quality is low. I tried to take some video with it at the park. It was a bit windy and the footage was very jittery.

One important note: The Tx might look exactly the same, but it is NOT compatible with the X1. In other words, it is not using the FlySky protocol. In fact, it is not using any of the known protocols. It is even different from the X3!! As such, I can't control it using my 7E. ATM, the only thing that will bind with the X5/X5C is the stock Tx.

Summary: If you like your X1, and if you want something like an X1 with integrated lights and camera out of the box, get the X5C. The fun factor is all there. However, if you are picky about the video recording quality, you will be disappointed. If you care for great looking video, the X1 with an 808 is still the better route to go. But if you don't want to fuss about with all the parts and integration yourself, and just be able to easily get video and photo from a Quad right out of the box, the X5C is a great package to get.

Is there any interest in seeing a full Heli Pad write up on the SYMA X5/X5C?

HP
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2014, 02:20 PM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Rob,

I do have an X5C and I started writing a review about it, but I never finished it and I didn't post it.

In a nutshell, the X5 is similar to the X1 in size and share some of the same parts. Instead of a Frame and CF rod arms design, it uses a plastic shell, shaped like a Phantom. The shell offers an enclosure for the FC and for the batteries, but it also acts like a bit like a kite. It has LED under the arms to help visibility. It has an ON/OFF switch. It does sport a 6-Axis gyro, but my X1 flies just as smooth.

In addition to the X5, there is a X5C that has an optional camera. The camera is the "best looking" camera in the market. It integrates with the body shell nicely, and it reminds me of the hull of the USS Enterprise of Star Trek. However, the video quality is low. I tried to take some video with it at the park. It was a bit windy and the footage was very jittery.

[photo]

One important note: The Tx might look exactly the same, but it is NOT compatible with the X1. In other words, it is not using the FlySky protocol. In fact, it is not using any of the known protocols. It is even different from the X3!! As such, I can't control it using my 7E. ATM, the only thing that will bind with the X5/X5C is the stock Tx.

Summary: If you like your X1, and if you want something like an X1 with integrated lights and camera out of the box, get the X5C. The fun factor is all there. However, if you are picky about the video recording quality, you will be disappointed. If you care for great looking video, the X1 with an 808 is still the better route to go. But if you don't want to fuss about with all the parts and integration yourself, and just be able to easily get video and photo from a Quad right out of the box, the X5C is a great package to get.

Is there any interest in seeing a full Heli Pad write up on the SYMA X5/X5C?

HP
That's interesting, thanks for the info!! I was thinking of getting one so I could take it apart and use the board since it claimed to be 6-axis. BUT I won't be doing that since you point out its incompatibility with known radio protocols. That's just unfortunate.

Since the motor mounts look the same, I'm assuming it uses the same 7mm motors? Since you have one, can you give its AUW with battery and camera? I'm curious how its weight compares with our DIY X1s and 808 cameras.

My best configuration so far is 90g with my custom frame, Nano QX FC, 600mAh battery, 1.3ghz FPV system, and unmodified 808 camera.
Aug 14, 2014, 01:41 AM
Wait, the devo 7e can bind with my x1!? I just ordered my 7e yesterday... a pleasant bonus! Not to mention I got it brand new for $40
Aug 14, 2014, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv2012 View Post
Wait, the devo 7e can bind with my x1!? I just ordered my 7e yesterday... a pleasant bonus! Not to mention I got it brand new for $40
It could; but not out of the box, it won't. The Devo 7E accepts up to 2 additional modules. If one of these modules support FlySky, then the Deviation firmware will able you to use the Devo 7E with compatible FC, which X1 is one.
Aug 14, 2014, 01:31 PM
Quote:
It could; but not out of the box, it won't. The Devo 7E accepts up to 2 additional modules. If one of these modules support FlySky, then the Deviation firmware will able you to use the Devo 7E with compatible FC, which X1 is one.
I want to fly my hubsan and my wltoys if possible
Aug 14, 2014, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
Same answer. I have two modules installed in my Devo, one for Flysky, another one for Hubsan. But the same modules support more than a protocol each. So, now, my Devo controls about half a dozen of protocols I use.

How did you score a new 7E for $40?
Aug 14, 2014, 04:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Since you have one, can you give its AUW with battery and camera? I'm curious how its weight compares with our DIY X1s and 808 cameras.
Here is the AUW.

Edit: Oops, I just realized that I have a 300mAh Lipo inside of it. And I seem to have misplaced the OEM battery at the moment. So, please adjust the AUW accordingly, and add a few grams to it.
Aug 14, 2014, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Here is the AUW.

Edit: Oops, I just realized that I have a 300mAh Lipo inside of it. And I seem to have misplaced the OEM battery at the moment. So, please adjust the AUW accordingly, and add a few grams to it.
Thanks HP! So I guess I'm pretty good at 90g with an 808 camera, FPV Tx, and 600mAh battery??

Oh, and I went to the beach today after a storm. Unfortunately, it was a little too windy to get any good footage. I should have taken the guy flying a kite as a bad sign, lol.

Syma X1 + Nano QX Hybrid - FPV on the Beach after a Storm (4 min 8 sec)
Aug 15, 2014, 08:39 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults
90 grams AUW should work…. It works for me with my "winterized" 808 setup.

Thanks for sharing your FPV video. The image quality is really good. I could see the wind knocking your quad around a little bit as well during its flight.

Good stuff.

JB
Last edited by jbrumberg; Aug 15, 2014 at 08:45 AM.
Aug 15, 2014, 10:39 AM
Thread OP

X5c auw

Alright, I have located the OEM 500mAh battery, so I'd like to revise the AUW to be 96.16g.

Honestly, the X5C would not be able to produce the level of quality video that Rob demonstrated. If anyone is serious about his video, he would be better off getting a X1 and a 808 camera.

However, the X5C would be a great choice for someone who doesn't want to do any modifications and be able to send a Quad up right out of the box that flies like an X1, and be able to remotely trigger the camera to take photos and videos in Standard resolution. That is your bird.
Aug 15, 2014, 11:22 AM
Didn't Rob upgrade the x1 motors with the ones from MMW?
Aug 15, 2014, 03:40 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Boy I had a fantastic flight today. Banked high speed turns. Even took it up pretty dang high for this size quad. It was the nqx board one I have. I had the 808 camera on it piggy backed through a wire harness to the flight battery. Thought it would be a great video. But talk about jello...it sure had it. Still would have posted it. But the dang lens was pointed way to high. Seems like all I captured was wide blue yonder. Dang it.
Lee
Aug 15, 2014, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartambient View Post
Didn't Rob upgrade the x1 motors with the ones from MMW?
Yes I did. I got the CL-0720-12 motors (medium speed)
Aug 15, 2014, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Boy I had a fantastic flight today. Banked high speed turns. Even took it up pretty dang high for this size quad. It was the nqx board one I have. I had the 808 camera on it piggy backed through a wire harness to the flight battery. Thought it would be a great video. But talk about jello...it sure had it. Still would have posted it. But the dang lens was pointed way to high. Seems like all I captured was wide blue yonder. Dang it.
Lee
So far, I absolutely LOVE the nQX board with the X1!! I've had ZERO signal drops, its more responsive, and I get slightly longer flight times.

As for the Jello, did you balance the props? That usually gets rid of most of it. Then, you could either try my anti-jello mount or JMEL made a nice mount with v959 skids and rubber bands.

One thing I'm finding is my mount doesn't work so well in the wind. The camera wobbles around too much. Then again, the X1 doesn't fly well in the wind either.
Aug 15, 2014, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Yes I did. I got the CL-0720-12 motors (medium speed)
I was just thinking that those motors allowed you to add that extra weight. Maybe I'm wrong

Quick Reply