Jul 05, 2014, 08:02 PM
I just double checked during my evening fly, I'm flying my new x1 with my old x1's parts. The board is a v6 and flies "drunk" with the v5's components. I've been wondering what the heck was wrong with it. I burned one of the little things--fet maybe?--on the v5 board so the front b motor doesn't work.

My tx tests were done on the v6 board with the flysky fs-t6 transmitter. I don't remember switching the components but it's likely I did because I got replacement arms that matched my original v5 x1.

The v6 came with the tabs on the motor holders while the v5 had the screws on the motor holder. When I get my variable mini frame from woods turning I'll use new motors when I transfer the components and pray I get the smooth flying x1 I fell in love with back.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2014, 08:24 PM
GOT WINGS
The syma X1 motors that were available a while back I believe were made by the chaoli motor company, they had that companies symbol on the plastic motor cap. When I bought them, I think they were the best 7mm motors available. Now even better chaoli 7mm motors are available from benedikt at the MicroMotorWarehouse. I used Syma X1 motors on several of my micro direct drive frankenquads and on my V202 and they always performed better than stock motors. But the X1 original motors are not as good as the chaolis you can get now. If you need replacement motors for your X1, I would suggest checking out the micromotorwarehouse. They are a little more expensive, but they are worth it. I wonder if syma is still using the chaoli motors?
Last edited by siriusflier; Jul 05, 2014 at 08:56 PM.
Jul 05, 2014, 08:47 PM
FPV Stig
I just checked mine and its a red v6 board also.
Jul 05, 2014, 08:59 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Where's loganville? hahaha
Jul 05, 2014, 09:47 PM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"

Please, I Need Some Help!!

Hey everyone!! I need some help from any of you Syma X1 experts. At the end of this post is a video I shot today.

Near the beginning of the video (0:25 and 0:33), you'll notice the motors stop a couple of times. As I'm sure you already know, this happens when the X1 loses its connection with the radio. Fortunately it only happens for a split second and the X1 recovers. If it happens for longer and the X1 goes into a dive, it becomes almost impossible to recover and you splat into the ground.

Relevant Info:
1) I keep my X1 pretty well balanced. The camera, batteries, and FPV system all balance out so the center of gravity is in the center. I generally have very little jello compared to other X1 videos I've seen. The AUW is only 88g.

2) I'm using a Turnigy 9X with the module in the back that has the wire feeding up to the antenna on the main radio body. While it definitely has more range than the stock radio, it doesn't seem to be that much of an improvement. Batteries in the 9X are charged!! I'm using Eneloop Pros. I've also checked the wire inside the module and everything looks good.

3) There was very little wind today, a steady 2-3mph with 5mph gusts at the beginning of the video. The wind started to pick up at the end as a storm was rolling in.

4) You'll notice at certain times I am much further away than when the radio signal dropped out at 0:25 and 0:33.

I really don't understand these random signal drops. They happen all the time, in different locations and they happen with 2 different X1s. They don't seem to happen with the stock radio but the stock radio also has much less range and when it goes out of range, it drops! What kind of range have you all gotten with your Turnigy 9X? More than in this video? How can I troubleshoot this? I feel like I could have a much better flying experience and concentrate more on getting better at flying if I could resolve this issue. Thanks!!

Syma X1 Quadcopter - FPV Flight 05 - Dive Bombing Myself (3 min 46 sec)
Jul 05, 2014, 09:53 PM
Embrace the suck!
Been kind of skimming along...wondering about the arm/not arm thing...could it be a function of the Tx? Perhaps it's been programed to not complete the bind process until throttle has been cycled?
Jul 05, 2014, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
Maxie price!
Jul 05, 2014, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
I'm guessing about 15 miles SW from Winder.
Jul 05, 2014, 10:34 PM
17. I considered Winder before moving here.
Jul 05, 2014, 10:45 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Rob, what band are you tx you video in? Your motors are really stressing with this much weight and the gyro's are tryin to compensate. Just my first thoughts.
Jul 05, 2014, 10:47 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Ahh, wolf, you got my joke.
Jul 05, 2014, 11:42 PM
Soo...do you remember "that'd be Nalley?"
Jul 06, 2014, 12:47 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
Sam, the picture you referenced were from HacksMods.com. The owner of the site is a good buddy of mine. He is a pro photographer. Besides flying with each other, we do a lot of fun things together, too. We just went shopping and had dinner tonight. And since he didn't have an X1, the photos you used were actually from the FC of my X1! Small world, eh?

Lee, thanks for that info. "V6" was what I was looking for.

So, I think the big picture is emerging. My X1 is Version 5. Since then, there is a new Version 6. So "arming" could very well be a new design in V6.

Mark, the arming thing could totally be a Tx thing. In fact it is most likely to be the case. It could also be a combo of Tx/Rx thing, because the FC might wait for the Tx to arm before completing the hand-shake.

So, let it be known that there are two versions of X1 out there. The older ones do not require arming, while the newer ones do. So, it is one more thing in our knowledge base when we talk to the new comers.

Good work, everybody.

HP
Jul 06, 2014, 01:17 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
Rob, it does sound like that you had 2 dropouts close range in the beginning of that video. That is something that I wouldn't expect from your 9X. When I flew my X1 with the 9X, the range was incredible. Basically, I could fly the entire park shown in your video with ease.

Are you running stock firmware on your 9X? Have you flown other aircraft with this 9X and was the range okay with them? Since you've already checked the wiring of the 9X, I would like to assume that the 9X is performing fine. Therefore, we should probably focus our attention on the X1's Rx.

Typically, I do NOT stress too much on the antenna optimizations. While they do improve things, I don't believe that they are critical in our application. However, your situation might be different and might call for these optimization techniques. So, if I were you, I would observe the following optimizations.

(1) Turn your 9X antenna side ways instead of straight up.
(2) Check the length of your antenna on the X1 Rx and make sure that it is close to 31mm long.
(3) If you are comfortable with soldering a new wire antenna onto the X1, double the length of the antenna to 62mm.

(1) The basis of this is the transmission pattern. Where the antenna is pointing is the "Donut hole" of transmission. It is weaker comparing to the antenna pointing sideways. I don't usually stress this before, the X1 is flying all over the place. Unless you're constantly following and aiming the radio at the X1, this should not be a problem.

(2) 31mm is Quarter Wavelength (1/4 Lamda) for 2.4GHz transmission. Anything longer or shorter is not as optimal as 1/4 Lamda. So, let's make sure that it is as close to 31mm as you could get it.

(3) It is not always practical. But if your antenna could go 1/2 Lamda, half wavelength, it is even better than 1/4 Lamda. So, you could attempt a 62mm antenna.

Good luck.

HP
Jul 06, 2014, 01:45 AM
Quoth the raven, "Nevermore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad
Rob, it does sound like that you had 2 dropouts close range in the beginning of that video. That is something that I wouldn't expect from your 9X. When I flew my X1 with the 9X, the range was incredible. Basically, I could fly the entire park shown in your video with ease.

Are you running stock firmware on your 9X? Have you flown other aircraft with this 9X and was the range okay with them? Since you've already checked the wiring of the 9X, I would like to assume that the 9X is performing fine. Therefore, we should probably focus our attention on the X1's Rx.
Thanks for the reply!! I am running stock firmware in the 9X. I have NOT flown anything else with the 9X, although I have 2 working X1s and they both exhibit "random" (seemingly) signal drop outs.

Quote:
(1) Turn your 9X antenna side ways instead of straight up.
(2) Check the length of your antenna on the X1 Rx and make sure that it is close to 31mm long.
(3) If you are comfortable with soldering a new wire antenna onto the X1, double the length of the antenna to 62mm.
I've replaced one of the antennas already because it broke off. I was careful to measure the new one to 31mm. I put a small hole in the clear canopy so it goes straight up through the canopy.

Quote:
(1) The basis of this is the transmission pattern. Where the antenna is pointing is the "Donut hole" of transmission. It is weaker comparing to the antenna pointing sideways. I don't usually stress this before, the X1 is flying all over the place. Unless you're constantly following and aiming the radio at the X1, this should not be a problem.
I usually have my radio antenna pointing straight up to the sky. I figure that would put the donut hole directly above me? I'm usually flying the X1 in front of me and away from me. In the video, it passes over me several times, but there is never a drop out directly above me.

Quote:
(2) 31mm is Quarter Wavelength (1/4 Lamda) for 2.4GHz transmission. Anything longer or shorter is not as optimal as 1/4 Lamda. So, let's make sure that it is as close to 31mm as you could get it.

(3) It is not always practical. But if your antenna could go 1/2 Lamda, half wavelength, it is even better than 1/4 Lamda. So, you could attempt a 62mm antenna.

Good luck.

HP
I'm still wondering if there is something wrong with my 9X. I've ordered a FlySky module to try in my Taranis, and I've also ordered an nQX board to try on one of my X1s.

Quick Reply