Jun 05, 2013, 02:36 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Thread OP
My bad, my first post was confusing. Sorry.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2013, 08:02 PM
Lost my second X1 in a thick tree today. Its like the X1 was designed to get sucked into trees, lock onto the branches and not come out. I threw a softball at it about a hundred times which only knocked it a little deeper into the tree and out of sight. I had finally bound my X1 to my 9X, which was awesome for the 15 seconds I got to enjoy it. Will be putting in an order for another tonight. Does anyone know if they are available BNF anywhere? Im accumulating too many crappy remotes from RTFs.
Jun 05, 2013, 08:31 PM
Jake From Planet Mascoutah, IL
This is how I get my helis out of trees....
Jun 05, 2013, 09:52 PM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit311
Lost my second X1 in a thick tree today. Its like the X1 was designed to get sucked into trees, lock onto the branches and not come out. I threw a softball at it about a hundred times which only knocked it a little deeper into the tree and out of sight. I had finally bound my X1 to my 9X, which was awesome for the 15 seconds I got to enjoy it. Will be putting in an order for another tonight. Does anyone know if they are available BNF anywhere? Im accumulating too many crappy remotes from RTFs.
Don't throw stuff AT it, throw stuff over it! With a string attached. Then you will hopefully grab onto a branch nearby and shake shake shake.

I have never yet failed to get my quads out of a tree - and they have been there many a time. Recently I found that a tennis ball with string attached did the job for one about 35 feet high.

Some hints here:
http://droneflyers.com/2013/02/getti...t-of-the-tree/
Jun 06, 2013, 07:09 AM
Suspended Account
Didn't see anything in a search so I'm assuming there is no way to increase the rates from the stock L/H with the stock transmitter is there, in order to make it a bit more aggressive and quicker to react?
Jun 07, 2013, 11:57 AM
Guys, I need some help.

My nephew broke a motor mount on the X1, and I had the spare in stock, but I dont know how to take out the shaft from the motor mount. Is there a procedure to take out the main gear or the hex drive? I dont have spares for that in case I break it LOL
Jun 07, 2013, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Tboost, I think I have a link in the middle of Post #3 for the dis-assembly. If the gear shaft is intact, I think it is easy to remove it from the motor shaft by removing the top shaft end limit, than to remove the gear from the bottom. You just need to open one end to get to the shaft. It'll be easy to leave the blade on the limit end to give you more leverage to pull it off. Otherwise, people have used piano wire and other objects to push the shaft out.
Jun 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad
Tboost, I think I have a link in the middle of Post #3 for the dis-assembly. If the gear shaft is intact, I think it is easy to remove it from the motor shaft by removing the top shaft end limit, than to remove the gear from the bottom. You just need to open one end to get to the shaft. It'll be easy to leave the blade on the limit end to give you more leverage to pull it off. Otherwise, people have used piano wire and other objects to push the shaft out.
Thanks as always for the help HP, but already did it, just it worked the other way around.
I removed the gear from the shaft.

For the ones that had never changed a motor mount of the Syma X1, I took the motor and the prop out, and left just the motor mount with motor shaft, gear and hex top end. Just grab a pair of pliers, and pull from the hex top end with them, and the gear will come off. Then to put it back on, just assemble it back, and make some force pushing the gear with the handle of a screwdriver, and thats it, job done.
Jun 08, 2013, 07:59 AM
Suspended Account
you might also find that if you leave the prop on (or put on a duff prop) you can use the blades like the handle of a corkscrew and get the shaft out that way?

with a knackered blade installed you can grip the blade stem with pliers too and lessen the chances of damage to the hex plastic underneath
Jun 08, 2013, 05:03 PM
Birmingham AL
Ha! At *last*....I can chime in, as I have (ahem) extensive experience with the Kosem Effect.
In addition to the valid tips above, I have attached a couple of small 3" eye-bolts (used in hanging things that you should really get rid of, from your garage rafters) taped together, although any smallish weighted object will suffice, to a small cotton rope. Need a cord / line reasonably stout but not too heavy that it will impede vertical progress of the weight. Fishing line is too fiddly for me, and it snarls, twists and knots, adding time and frustration to the rescue effort...yech. Make sure it's long enough to get high enough to retrieve your craft.
The key to tossing whatever rig you have up several times your height is to twirl it UNDER-handed with your strong hand, the remaining line coiled loosely in your weak hand. (I nearly threw my shoulder out trying to toss my line OVER-handed about 40 feet up...don't do this!) Using your wrist, simply get the weight moving with a couple of twirls and let fly, and open your other hand to let the line uncoil and follow. After a few novice attempts, it's proven to be reliable for me. (Think of David's sling, that he used to clobber Goliath. That kind of wrist action, but by your side, not over your head.)
And once I got pretty good at it, I find I don't have to use the rope trick any more, because I've learned to fly better.
And so it goes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri
Don't throw stuff AT it, throw stuff over it! With a string attached. Then you will hopefully grab onto a branch nearby and shake shake shake.

I have never yet failed to get my quads out of a tree - and they have been there many a time. Recently I found that a tennis ball with string attached did the job for one about 35 feet high.

Some hints here:
http://droneflyers.com/2013/02/getti...t-of-the-tree/
Jun 08, 2013, 06:29 PM
Thread OP

Kosemectomy?

LOL, Sadlsor. Yes, I'll say that you have extensive experience with the Kosem Effect. And thank for your detailed explanation of the procedure of, shall we say, Kosemectomy.

So glad that you got your Quad back. Happy flying again.
Jun 08, 2013, 11:53 PM

X1 with lights + green laser = Fun

Did some night flying tonight in a dark area. That's always fun but added a little more with a green laser pointer. When you "hit" the x1 with the laser it shows up really well. Might add some reflective mylar or something to the bottom so it will really shine when the laser hits it.

Makes you feel like your shooting flying sacers with a ray gun or something. Also fun with someone else to see if they can "hit" the x1 with laser while you are maneuvering to avoid it.

Ron
Jun 09, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hi folks, this is my first post on this forum. I got a Syma X1 yesterday and I've been having a lot of fun flying it. I also got an 808 #16V2 keycam. I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the cam to the X1 - any tips? I've got the velcro pieces from the keycam kit. I was thinking of mounting the camera underneath but it doesn't look like the velcro would attach to the battery cage very well.
Jun 09, 2013, 12:21 PM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheran
Hi folks, this is my first post on this forum. I got a Syma X1 yesterday and I've been having a lot of fun flying it. I also got an 808 #16V2 keycam. I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the cam to the X1 - any tips? I've got the velcro pieces from the keycam kit. I was thinking of mounting the camera underneath but it doesn't look like the velcro would attach to the battery cage very well.

Underneath is the best place to mount your 808 #16 V2, velcro may give you lots of jello effect in your video so a small piece of foam between the camera and the bottom of the quad then if you have a battery strap use that to fasten it. If you don't have a battery strap you may be able to use elastic bands to secure it to the frame

John.
Jun 09, 2013, 01:56 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheran
I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the cam to the X1 - any tips? I've got the velcro pieces from the keycam kit. I was thinking of mounting the camera underneath but it doesn't look like the velcro would attach to the battery cage very well.
That's what I've done... just velcro to the bottom of the battery cage, and it seems to hold in place just fine. You will get a jello-wobble effect though.

How-To: Mounting Keychain Camera For RC Filming (3 min 39 sec)

Quick Reply