New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:33 PM
Dr Honda is online now
Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Registered User
Dr Honda's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
....... and I'll have close to $1,000 in it as I watch it head down the runway. It's a perfect intermediate practice plane, if I can keep it in one piece. This will be the first plane I am buying expressly because it is no fun to fly.

Flying a turbine trainer and even a 1/6 F-16 should be a piece of cake after that thing...
This is the problem I have with a high-end EDF. You could have build yourself a turbine trainer for the $$$ you have into the little F-4. I've seen good, used air-start engines go for $600... and a Falcon is $150. Or... a ShockJet is only $500.


Also... a jet should be fun. If it's not... then why do it?? As I've said before... I'm not a "jet Jock"... but I love the sound, and smell of my turbines, and they put a HUGE grin on my face every time I fly them. So... to build an EDF that is "No fun to fly" is the wrong thing.

Lastly... a poor flying, heavy loaded 90mm EDF isn't the same as trying to fly a 30 Lb turbine. BUT... once again... if the EDF was on your "To-Do" list... then go fly it, and have fun.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:38 PM
Dr Honda is online now
Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Registered User
Dr Honda's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Hold the boat there Honda lol

The 90 Viper is rock solid. Its the Hawk that has the tip stall problems. I know cause I had both

Not trying to start a war here.. just saying

But seriously.. The absolute best 90mm from HK is the L-59. That is one plane that really deserves a micro turbine. I regret selling that one.

Now here's whats up on the bench after the Byron F-16

SU-37 from the king. She's getting a p-60 in her

Sorry for getting off topic guys

I've only seen the 90mm Viper... and they have a nasty torque/tip thing on take-off. BUT... I will admit, the T-45 is a "Tippy" bird. But... they are tippy regardless of the size.


BUT......


I need one of the SU-37's. I'm going to go look now.



*****EDIT******

Doesn't look like they have it anymore.
Last edited by Dr Honda; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:19 PM
Vantagepoint is offline
Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Registered User
Of all the suitable airframes I mentioned earlier as a possible first plane, I forgot to mention the Eurosport. This plane is relatively inexpensive, large enough to be seen in the air, but light enough to be powered by 24lbs thrust turbine. The best quality of this model is that it can be operated from a short runway (300' paved), and it is extremely aerobatic (not extremely fast). Mine was powered with an old RAM 1000 that only produced 24lbs of thrust eventhough it was rated at 28lbs. The Eurosport is one of two models (1/5 scale MB339 was the second) that I sold, but wished I had kept.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:22 PM
TTRotary is offline
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Two things.....

1) The HK 90mm Viper has some real flying issues. (I wouldn't touch it)
I know. I was kidding. I read the thread and saw the carnage on the vidoes. Regarding price, if I could get started for a price like that, then I'd go turbine from the getgo.

Vettster - that is a very clever build on nthat SU. Keep us posted. Where will the fuel tanks go?
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:26 PM
TTRotary is offline
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantagepoint View Post
Of all the suitable airframes I mentioned earlier as a possible first plane, I forgot to mention the Eurosport. This plane is relatively inexpensive, large enough to be seen in the air, but light enough to be powered by 24lbs thrust turbine. The best quality of this model is that it can be operated from a short runway (300' paved), and it is extremely aerobatic (not extremely fast). Mine was powered with an old RAM 1000 that only produced 24lbs of thrust eventhough it was rated at 28lbs. The Eurosport is one of two models (1/5 scale MB339 was the second) that I sold, but wished I had kept.
Is that the CARF plane?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:55 AM
henke is offline
Find More Posts by henke
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
What's the empty weight of the Su37? I'm currently doing a twin 90mm Eurofighter which is 4.62lb for the kit. Scale 1/9.5 so about the same size as the SU37. 65" long ans ws 47"
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
vettster is offline
Find More Posts by vettster
"Take Off" eh!
vettster's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
I know. I was kidding. I read the thread and saw the carnage on the vidoes. Regarding price, if I could get started for a price like that, then I'd go turbine from the getgo.
you didnt read far enough TT The crashes were from the earlier days before we realized that ProDesign has posted the wrong CG. After I figured it out..there where nothing but success stories Second best EDF next to the L-59 Actually the Hawk is tied with it

As for the fuel tanks on the SU.. they will be going in the intakes and mid fues area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
What's the empty weight of the Su37? I'm currently doing a twin 90mm Eurofighter which is 4.62lb for the kit. Scale 1/9.5 so about the same size as the SU37. 65" long ans ws 47"
Not sure of the emptly weight.. I found this info....
Specs:
Wingspan: 1200mm
Length: 1737mm
Flying Weight: 5500g~6000g

From my EDF experience I would say that its a Heavy EDF(hense the reason theres not a lot of video of it flying.) but not to bad for a turbine, maybe even lighter since theres no need for dual this and dual that

Id say they are almost Identical in size Henke. What turbine are you going to use. Lets see some pics
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Jan 10, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:29 PM
TTRotary is offline
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
As for the fuel tanks on the SU.. they will be going in the intakes and mid fues area.
I suspected you'd say the intakes. The only potential issue I see with that is that the roof of the intake is in fact the underside of the lifting body "wing". AT least on the full-scale aircraft, it also has this function. Most foamy airframes of these subjects replicate that feature. Not sure what the outcome would be if the "intake" is blocked by a tank.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Vantagepoint is offline
Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Is that the CARF plane?
Yes, it is a CARF plane. The only thing not to like about this model is the access hatch is on the bottom of the fuse which made getting access to the engine a pain.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
vettster is offline
Find More Posts by vettster
"Take Off" eh!
vettster's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
I suspected you'd say the intakes. The only potential issue I see with that is that the roof of the intake is in fact the underside of the lifting body "wing". AT least on the full-scale aircraft, it also has this function. Most foamy airframes of these subjects replicate that feature. Not sure what the outcome would be if the "intake" is blocked by a tank.
Yeah,,, i understand what your saying.. and i dont really want to put them there. Not so much because of the lift issue..but more the head on drag. But anywhoo.. I havent started it yet and things can change many times during a build as you know
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:05 AM
TTRotary is offline
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
So true. Not sure you'd make CG with the fuel in that erea. Nice thing about the SUs is that there is a lot of interior fuse volume behind the cockpit. You could even make a tank by molding Kevlar to the inside of the fuse.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:52 AM
henke is offline
Find More Posts by henke
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
From my EDF experience I would say that its a Heavy EDF(hense the reason theres not a lot of video of it flying.) but not to bad for a turbine, maybe even lighter since theres no need for dual this and dual that

Id say they are almost Identical in size Henke. What turbine are you going to use. Lets see some pics
Build thread over here... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1806703 (I copied the build log from RCU to this forum too) mine will be a twin twice the trouble
Last edited by henke; Jan 11, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:37 AM
bmwsony is offline
Find More Posts by bmwsony
Registered User
我也做过一个SU37 但是不知道怎么在这里上传图片。I also had a SU37 but does not know how to upload it here.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:37 PM
Flyinfool is offline
Find More Posts by Flyinfool
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Why both are Harry. You have heard of electric flight, have you not?

My biggest power setup currently is 7S on a Power 110 (the sea fury on the left) and there are bigger builds coming, including my very nice ESM Spitfire which will fly on 10 or 12S. Believe me, these birds can haul the mail. You see, I like flying, not fiddling with glow plugs, needle valves, and wiping stinky residue off my nice model. And the birds can be hangared inside the house. What is good for my wife is good for me, and I am lucky that she puts up with my various hobbies. Here are 2 of my planes...
No one else caught this one.......

A turbine does have a certain "aroma" that it gives off. Some love it some hate it. Different fuels will have different amounts of aroma.
Some of the new turbines are ok to run on diesel fuel. This is probably the stinkiest fuel to bring into the house.
Many run jet fuel from the local airport. This does not have quite as strong of a smell as diesel but still does have a strong "aroma".
K1 kerosine is probably the most popular fuel. It has a lot less "aroma". If you get the "orderless K1" it is expensive but has the least strong "aroma".
No matter how good of a job of cleaning up at the field there will be some "jet aroma" where ever you store it.

You may consider the jet aroma as an aphrodisiac, but many wives do not.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:38 PM
henke is offline
Find More Posts by henke
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
Many run jet fuel from the local airport. This does not have quite as strong of a smell as diesel but still does have a strong "aroma".
Over here Diesel smells virtually nothing while Jet A1 STINKS! a small spill will ruin your basement for ages.

Before changeing over to diesel I could in no way store my planes inside the house. With diesel it's no problem.

Jet A1 should be the same, but diesle differs around the globe I think.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Radjet vs SkyFun Jet. Which one to get to replace my abused radjet. Koo Pusher Prop Jet Models 5 Mar 15, 2013 06:15 AM
Discussion Any one interested in getting a Dragon OSD Thread Started? Flybynight2 FPV Talk 5 Oct 07, 2012 08:20 PM
Discussion LHS willing to let me upgrade radio in apprentice for price diff which one to get? hazegry Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 5 May 11, 2012 04:52 PM
Just starting might get a heli but which one? GerGa Micro Helis 32 Dec 05, 2005 02:23 AM