Mar 04, 2013, 10:28 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Great work, incredible craftsmanship, and man that thing looks like a giant whale fluke- Black and everything! Should make for some interesting flying

Cheers,

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2013, 08:49 AM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
Thanks for the comment on the fixed side area piece of the tail Steve ,i did think about this bit a lot and made it as small as possible but still strong .
Started the next fuse this week,going to use lighter cloth parts in the tail and a few extra bits of carbon tows where the voids were.Laying up one side took 1 hour and 40 minutes ,all went well.
Lots of parts.

vac down

Trimming green cloth with chisel .

One side trimmed other side not

3/4 oz kevlar outside ,1 oz glass inside .5 mm balsa in the middle,carbon tows around the outside

Next week ,join fuse and pop it out.Using this one hopefully.
Mar 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Auzzie built planks
Look great Shane. Love to see you getting your wood working tools involved. Chisel works well.

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Mar 17, 2013, 09:38 AM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
OK it's Fluid time of the week again .The 2nd fuse has poped out and it's .........useable, very good really, 99 % of the voids have gone,but it weighs 20 grams more than the last one .The extra weight is due to using sploog to join the front fuse part together so the extra weight is on or forward of the CG.This was needed. The rudder piece is 5 grams lighter so is the boom and surrounding area .I now have a kit as you would buy it ,this has taken 10 months .

Getting excited now ,next will be back to the wing, crack out the flapperons ,fit out with servos and program Fluid into the transmitter.
Mar 17, 2013, 11:17 AM
Certifiable User
Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing this project

Lee
Mar 17, 2013, 12:09 PM
Closed Account
Wow!!!
Mar 17, 2013, 12:11 PM
FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
I'm so blown away by this work. It is easily some of the most beautiful workmanship I have seen. I am curious to know what your target AUW is. Thanks so much for posting. It is very inspirational.

-Paige
Mar 17, 2013, 03:24 PM
Auzzie built planks
So does the kit come with bagged wings or just foam cores.???
I guess $40000aud should cover it.

Awesome mate.
Latest blog entry: More colours
Mar 17, 2013, 05:36 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Gorgeous!

Drooooool factor ++!!

I can't wait to see it in the flesh/air.
Mar 17, 2013, 10:04 PM
working to the closest cm
Shane
Magnificent attention to detail
Cheers Jeff
Mar 17, 2013, 11:15 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Really awesome!!

I can't wait to see it flying, this is a great project!

Steve
Mar 18, 2013, 04:17 AM
@PilotRhys on Instagram
That's too cool. Love the wooden tail Shane, that just sets it off
Mar 18, 2013, 06:02 AM
N00b Sloper Addict
Awesome work. Just awesome. That carbon look is so sexy. And that wood........... Hot as!!

Really fantastic work. Keep it up!!
Mar 19, 2013, 05:38 AM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
Done a little balancing just sitting things together ,it's going to be well over budget with the weight ,looking at 850 to 900 grams RTF
Wings and joiner = 350
Fuse and tail = 258
Battery = 110 ( 4 AA pack to get CG )
Servos & receiver = 95
Bits and Bobs = 35
848 Grams
nose weight ????

Around 8 oz per square foot wing loading .
Mar 19, 2013, 05:56 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Eeeeish!
Don't worry PITP!.....the excellent workmanship and good looks make up for it!! ;-)

Quick Reply