Nov 24, 2013, 09:08 AM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
What an awesome day ,thanks for the invite Tim ,also thanks to Sean for coming down with me and Eric and Kane meeting up their .
Lennox head is great ,tropical weather, nice wind the right direction and a few different slopes to fly .The slope in the vid had the wind from the right a bit but the lift was still good .The cliff face at the top had crazy lift pity i didn't get some vid.you could throw a thick stick off it an it would magically rise and fly back over your head.
The Fluid felt great to fly ,i could do all the usual stuff with it but there is so much more in it still to explore .The rudder scared me how well it worked i'm certain it could spin it like a frisby .
Fluid - Rise from the ashes , Maiden flight (7 min 44 sec)

Misic is -Pat Metheny
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2013, 09:35 AM
"Brilliant" has been way overused and lost its impact.

The Fluid calls for a new superlative.

Submitted for your consideration:

"Einsteinian"

Ken

PS: Nice to see a cautious and conservative Maiden Flight. ( 8>0
Nov 24, 2013, 01:50 PM
Slopeaholic
Nice! Looks like slope heaven, great slope, wind, sun and your scratch built aerobat.
Well done.
Nov 25, 2013, 02:58 AM
Closed Account
Are you having fun yet?
Nov 25, 2013, 04:13 AM
I still cant believe the flight possibilities with the fluid ! Have to open my mind up. And secondly cant believe I was in charge of throwing it out on the maiden. . Months of work could have been broken in seconds. Shane it was a 11/10 in many aspects.
Dec 02, 2013, 08:18 AM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
Getting to know the Fluid .
Almost 3 in a row ......
A bit disappointed with u tube quality ,trying Vimeo.
(3 min 8 sec)
Dec 02, 2013, 10:37 AM
Nice move at 2:52... and what an easy landing you made it seem. This thing must put a big smile on your face...
Dec 02, 2013, 10:41 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
Shane:

Your Fluid is amazing on many levels… your workmanship is awesome; she is a technical marvel that looks cool on the bench and beautiful in the air; and most importantly (at least to me) she is a "flyer."

Congratulations on a wonderful and succesful project!

Dawson
Who continues to enjoy his ancient and battle weary Le Fish light.
Dec 02, 2013, 02:42 PM
Auzzie built planks
Very cool Shane. Got to love the rudder flat spins
And great to see it fly that good in marginal lift. We all know the bald knob is not known for it's booming lift

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Dec 02, 2013, 05:01 PM
It's time for me to fly
Yes, that rudder 360 at 2:50ish was great! Nice sideslip to landing too. All the moves are really crisp.
Dec 02, 2013, 05:26 PM
This mind is truly Boggled!!

No insult to the Fluid intended but you, sir, are a Helluva pilot. What's really scary is that the flying is sooo good already. Couple more hours to fine tune throws and controls plus finding the actual aerodynamic limits and completing the Pilot/Plane mind meld and NASA should be knocking on your door.

Ken
Dec 02, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cliff
Wow Shane
Absolutely Brilliant! Flips ,long knife edge flybys,spins,a "cartwheel"rudder flip maneuver and a bunch of other stuff that all flowed together in a very high energy flight that oozed the awesomeness of the FLUID and your style of ultrabatic flying
Cliff
I liked how you came in for the landing under those dreaded power lines with a no fear attitude.
Last edited by 16141; Dec 02, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Dec 02, 2013, 09:58 PM
foam is fun, but glass is fast
Nice work! I watched you vid just after I woke this morning and it was truly eye opening! I was still exhausted from long week (extra long work day Saturday, housemate has 4 relatives visiting yuk) and my eyes were little tiny slivers till I started watching you huck that awesome toy around. Wide awake by the rudder flips FOR sure. Xlnt work!

When you get the time can you share some more info about the fluid. What airfoil? (The energy retention was amazing) How much twisty wing your using , how much actual aileron ext...
Your build log has been very inspiring, thank you a couple thousand times for sure.
James
Dec 02, 2013, 10:58 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Strewth!
Dec 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
Cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB
Strewth!
and then some