Slopeaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter
Those aren't for rolling! They're for stopping! Remember it's a twisty wing :-D
Aww, now that is a shame!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2013, 12:02 PM
Silent Flight
No doubt it's been discussed somewhere in the depths of RCG's but are there any advantages that might be had by mixing flaps with twist or are you just introducing unnecessary drag? What about snap flaps? Do solid/non-flapped twisty wings benefit from a sort of snap flap action? If not then adding flaps to a twisty for snap flap action also sounds like a cool option for the aerobatic/ultrabatic plane.

Can't wait for the video's next week, there will be video of the maidens right?

-Jonathan

EDIT: Hmmm, I guess the above also greatly depends on if its a pitcheron or a wingeron.
Mar 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
Silent Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl
No doubt it's been discussed somewhere in the depths of RCG's but are there any advantages that might be had by mixing flaps with twist or are you just introducing unnecessary drag? What about snap flaps? Do solid/non-flapped twisty wings benefit from a sort of snap flap action? If not then adding flaps to a twisty for snap flap action also sounds like a cool option for the aerobatic/ultrabatic plane.

Can't wait for the video's next week, there will be video of the maidens right?

-Jonathan

EDIT: Hmmm, I guess the above also greatly depends on if its a pitcheron or a wingeron.
Curiosity got the better of me and I started digging around and as expected the topics been covered before. In hopes of self containing my slightly OT post, the gist of what I found was that Pitcherons as expected lacked any ability to slow or affect movement of the plane via any mixing since both roll and pitch are controlled by the same surfaces (i.e. the wings). For wingerons some elevator to wing pitch mixing can be used for slowing the plane down but not as affective as flaps.

I did not find any discussion regarding full length flap mixing with wing twist for "mad roll"(?), but as wingerons, or pitcherons for that matter really don't lack roll authority, it's a bit of a moot point. I'm still curious though about what possible mixings for a wingeron with full flaps would be like. If anyone can point me or others curious about this to an already existing thread or possibly sum it up concisely here that would be great.

-Jonathan
Mar 27, 2013, 03:51 AM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
The unknown factor in this design is very interesting to think about.Gliders in general benefit from snap flap (camber changing) makes the wing lift more ,turn better with less elevator, keeps the energy going .
The wing is very thin ,this will make it not as good at high angles of attack ,mixing wingeron with flap will (i hope ) give the wing a snap flap type effect to reduce drag wile rolling,it should need only a little of both to roll fast .
BUT !!! will the wingeron and flapperon go the same way or opposite ,probably the same way .
Anyway, this plane will be able to change its foil and stop safely.
AND HAVE A MAD ROLL

Sean ,i will be going if there is wind
Mar 27, 2013, 04:16 AM
Auzzie built planks
There will be wind..
Latest blog entry: More colours
Mar 31, 2013, 09:21 AM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
A few more pics of the build.Mad cams use fishing trace and 3mm rods.
All is working and ready for maiden ,completed pics coming soon.
AUW is 914 grams ,only 14 grams of lead feels right in the hand.

Anyone can use any of my design /engineering but please give me a bit of credit for it.
Mar 31, 2013, 12:05 PM
Hey dude,

I Like your attitude, Congratuations on the great design!

André

PS:

(Hope the chinese friends don't use it for profit, profit, profit!)
Mar 31, 2013, 12:59 PM
You know nothing....
Engineering is the right word for this!Any chance of a bit of video of the motion?
Mar 31, 2013, 03:14 PM
Auzzie built planks
Great work Shane. Very well thought out. Looking forward to seeing this fly.

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Mar 31, 2013, 04:32 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
THis has to be the most complex slope aerobatic model ever!
Mar 31, 2013, 05:58 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
awesome!!!! maleny this arvo?
Mar 31, 2013, 07:16 PM
less sleep more planes
Thread OP
I'll get some vid of the surfaces moving ,yes Jarred ,going up to Maleny today for a test ,wind is going to be very light .Also taking DLG and electric Orion.
Mar 31, 2013, 08:24 PM
FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
This is so impressive and inspiring. What is the latest AUW projection?

Paige
Latest blog entry: Flow 3.5 Maiden With Aeros
Mar 31, 2013, 10:37 PM
Silent Flight
Paige what do you mean by projection? He gave the AUW of 914g already in above post if that is what you are asking.

-Jonathan
Mar 31, 2013, 11:24 PM
FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl
Paige what do you mean by projection? He gave the AUW of 914g already in above post if that is what you are asking.

-Jonathan
Sorry Jonathan...I was at Easter dinner and wasn't paying attention.

-Paige
Latest blog entry: Flow 3.5 Maiden With Aeros

Quick Reply