Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Thread OP
Discussion

RealFlight Thermal Training

DONE!

I purchased Real Flight version 6.5 to better my helicopter flying skills but have been impressed with the thermal flying. Since I like to teach/share my experiences I am working on a more realistic thermal experience in Real Flight.

As with any flight simulation there are some limitations but I've been working with making it more realistic.

Here are the files I've made/edited to make RealFlight as close to thermal hunting as possible.

"Thermal Park Red Merle" is for larger Gliders such as my Red Merle. There is a landing tape and thermals will work their way around the field.

"Thermal Park Third Vector" is for DLG practice. I suggest using the wonderful work by Fly_Electric who modeled Dr. Drela's SuperGee II.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=17885

I recommend watching the video: "Joe Wurts on Soaring" that shows us how to apply his "Third Vector" drawing. I've tried to replicate this in the RealFlight sim. There are links to both of these on the "Tips" page of my website www.TailwindGliders.com

"Red Merle" is my eSupra I've scratch built and haven been flying for a few years.

There is also an electric version called "Red Merle ALES".

Here's a link to all of my offerings for RealFlight:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...es&userid=8765

So grab the files, get your stopwatch working and go practice!

Lastly, there is a stopwatch that will countdown in RealFlight:
There IS a countdown timer in RealFlight!

I'm just about to hand launch my Red Merle ALES plane on a five minute task.

Thanks to someone at HeliFreak they showed me how to get a countdown timer.

Here's how you do it:
1) Press the key to the left of the Number 1 ("~" Do not hold shift down), this will open the console.
2) Type "setTimerMode down". This tells the timer you want it to count down instead of up.
3) Type "setTimerCountDownFrom 5:00". This tells the timer to count down from 5 minutes and 0 seconds when in countdown mode. You can change these values to whatever you like.

Have fun!

Curtis
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Jan 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
Thread OP

Thermal Park Third Vector

Attached is a file of Thermal Park Third Vector.

This is a zipped file with one file inside with a file extension of .RFX. Remember the location of the unzipped file.

In Real Flight select the Simulation menu, Import and RealFlight Archive (RFX, G3X)… see example below.

Navigate to where you saved the file and it should import with a confirmation message in the lower left of RealFlight.

Make sure you have the SuperGeeII model loaded (see Post #12). Once in the sim you should be standing there looking at three poles with mylar streamers and some trees in the distance. There is a light wind blowing directly from the trees. Thermals should start working their way through your field. Watch the streamers and you should be able to find the lift!

It'll take a bit to figure out the depth of field distance in the simulation but once you do you should see the SuperGeeII pitch, roll or yaw when flying through lift or sink.

SuperGee II Model Info:
The SuperGee has reflex and camber on the three position switch. Center is neutral, towards the front of the transmitter is camber and away is reflex. There are flaperons on the throttle stick with elevator compensation. CH7 has aileron to rudder mix that can be turned on/off. CH5 has dual rates for the ailerons and rudder.

Enjoy!

Oh, and don't hit my truck!

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome. If you tweak the settings please share!

Happy New Year
Curtis
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Jan 12, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Dec 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
So, I take it you like the Real Flight sim?
Dec 29, 2012, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
So, I take it you like the Real Flight sim?
Hey George, how are ya!?

Yep, I am having fun with it in the cold Montana winter.
I happen to be passionate about most things I do and enjoy sharing them too.

Curtis
Dec 30, 2012, 03:03 AM
This sounds awesome, Eagerly awaiting your updates!
Dec 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Curtis,

I love flying Real Flight. Can't wait to up grade. This will be great.

The best part of Real Flight is the repair when you crash. It's called re-set.

Eddie
Dec 30, 2012, 12:10 PM
All you need to do come Spring is find a field where all the big arrows are floating in the sky
Dec 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
Challenge is rewarding
Awesome!
Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev
All you need to do come Spring is find a field where all the big arrows are floating in the sky
Ha ha.

I had the arrows on for testing the thermal generators I'm placing in the sim. I certainly recommend you turn them off. I'm getting closer. Anyone wish to do some testing for me?

If so send me a PM and and we can swap emails addresses as that's my preferred communication method.

Curtis
Dec 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
registered weapon
Just stopped by to check your spelling... it seems pretty good so far, I'll check back later...I'm watchin you though...
Dec 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
Id love to be in on the beta test!

Also, I wont have a whole lot of time since Ill be heading back to work in a few days. But when time permits I might be able to give you a hand with the 3D modeling and/or animation.... Its what I do
Dec 31, 2012, 08:20 AM
Thread OP
For your pre-Thermal training I suggest this new model that was released yesterday to the swap pages:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=17885

Curtis
Dec 31, 2012, 10:43 AM
I will be receiving my new Real Flight G6.5 in a couple days. I have been practicing on RF simulators (all types of aircraft) Since G2 first came out. Looking forward to trying out your new set up when it becomes available.
Jan 01, 2013, 09:05 AM
So many projects...
Subscribed!
Jan 01, 2013, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
First of a few things are uploaded!
See Post #2.

Happy New Year!

Quick Reply