Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 28, 2012, 07:56 AM
I fly wood.
Build Log

Kit 304 PC-6 Porter conversion

Just finished a conversion of a Guillowís PC-6 Porter. I was so anxious to get it built i didn't take pics along the way. I can explain more and take additional pics.
I built it pretty much to the plans with a few modifications. The stabilizer is scale size. The rudder and elevator have 1/16 gussets at the corners along the hinge line for reinforcement and to mount the control horns. A .8 mm CF rod reinforces the connection between the elevator halves. I replaced the kitís tail wheel with a lighter one. The landing gear is the one supplied in the kit but the other braces are .8 mm CF rod. I taped the 3.7 gram servos to the cabin sides with double sided carpet tape. They are positioned between the wing dowels to make it easier to get at the screw for the servo arms. The push rods are 1 mm CF rod. I left the top of the cabin uncovered till the end after I had all the RC gear placed and adjusted. The firewall is 1/16 ply. First Iím going with the 5 gram motor and 4 x 2.5 prop. Iím hoping it has enough oomph. Later, I may change to a 10 gram motor when we aero tow small sailplanes. Fortunately, the motor mount is the same for both and I used a 3 pin connector to the 6 amp ESC to make the change easier. Iíll change the thrust angle as needed with washers when I do the test flights. I made a copy of the lower right corners of the F2 and F4 formers to make the battery hatch. There is a small balsa shelf with Velcro to hold the 138 mAh 2s battery in place. It is covered with Microlite. The AUW is 83 grams/3 ounces. Iím just waiting for the weather or a suitable indoor venue to do the test flights.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
Or current resident
Nice build! Good idea making the tail to scale outlines, it adds to the scale appearance.
Are those wheels plastic? You could glue a wide rubber band on them to form a 'tire' to keep from wearing the plastic.
Where is the CG? with that long nose I would be concerned with it being nose heavy.

Glenn
Dec 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
I fly wood.
Glenn,

The kit provides an oversized stabilizer for free flight. I felt with it being RC I could still have enough elevator control with the scale size. The wheels are the plastic ones that came with the kit. The hubs are on only with white glue as I planned to replace them with foam wheels when I get a chance. To start with I have the CG at the spar. I'll adjust as needed when I test fly it. You are right about the long nose, I had to but the receiver and the ESC as far back as the connectors would allow. If I put the larger motor in I'm going to have to add weight to the tail.

Bob
Dec 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
very nice work! i've had my eye on this kit and already have the beaver that was released with it on my bench. kind of dragging my feet on starting the conversion as the small size of the plane and a desire to make it four-channel has me scratching my head for ideas. can't wait to hear how yours performs (sure it will fly as good as it looks!) on rudder only.

rob
Dec 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
Or current resident
I agree, no need for the free flight size tail group, we have control over these models. I reduced the tail on my micro FW 190 and it looks so much better.
Good luck with the maiden flight.
Glenn
Dec 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
I fly wood.

PC-6 first flight

The air was just about still at sundown today so I did the first flight. Good news- I brought it home in one piece. The light was not good enought for pics. With the 5 gram motor it ROG in about 10 feet. It will cruse at a bit less than 1/2 throttle and takes full throttle to get it to climb, about 10-20 degrees. I was able to slow it down enough and keep it under control within a little league infield. It's easy to fly, hands off in level flight, but you have to pay attention to stay out of trouble in turns. I'll have to adjust the thrust angle to see if that helps. Even though I have the receiver at the trailing edge of the wing and the ESC as far back as the wires will go, it is still nose heavy. I'll have to put a bit of weight at the tail. I'll experiment to see how much. Got about 7 minutes of flying from each battery.

It met my expectation that I'll be able to use it indoors at a good sized gym but will handle only calm conditions outdoors. In the spring I'm going to try the 10 gram motor for aero tow. No question the performance will be good with the larger motor.

I'll let you know things progress as I get in more flights.

Bob
Dec 29, 2012, 09:04 AM
Or current resident
Congrats on the successful maiden Bob!
Did you add a bit of washout in the tips? Might help with it wanting to fall out of the turns. I would suggest adding some clay to the tail and find the best CG. Once you change to the heavier motor you'll know where it needs to balance and won't have to start the trim flights again.

Glenn
Dec 29, 2012, 11:28 AM
I fly wood.
Turning to the left is predictable, to the right, not as smooth. I did put in washout and stalls are straight ahead but I'll check and tweak things if needed. Being nose heavy means less added weight to get the CG right. You are right, clay is the way to go. Bad weather predicted for a while so I'll have to wait for the next flghts.

Bob
Dec 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Or current resident
Did you add about 2 degrees of right thrust?

Quick Reply