Balsa USA Smoothie Build Thread - Page 7 - RC Groups
Feb 14, 2013, 04:38 PM
Today's short project was the vertical stabilizer. I slotted the stab and rudder for the C A hinges, and sanded the bevels on the L E of the stab and L E and T E of the rudder. I used a ruler and a sharpie to draw straight and true lines on the fuse to aid in setting the stab. I attached the stabilizer to the fuselage with thick C A, insuring it was between the lines, and vertical to the horizontal stab by using a square. It looks good enough for government work. John
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2013, 06:25 PM
Permanently installing the empennage is one of the most stressful parts of building (for me). Good job on yours!
Feb 14, 2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the Kudos. John
Feb 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
I test fit the elevator and rudder today. Only the bottom of the rudder and the rear fuselage remained to be slotted, I drew a line and made the slots. I used a small Dremel drum sander to make the notch in the rudder for the elevator connector rod, and dry fitted the control surfaces with C A hinges. Everything works smooth and lines up. John
Feb 17, 2013, 06:17 PM
I finished the tail filler blocks today. The kit came with a 10" 3/4" X 3/4" block, which I cut in half, one for each side of the vertical stabilizer. I sanded and shaped the blocks to approximately the desired shape and used 6 Minuit epoxy to attach them to the fuselage. I used Hobby Lite balsa filler to fill the joints, and sanded with sanding sticks to finish up.
Feb 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
The fuselage is now ready to cover. I mocked everything up, and got a surprise. The tail wheel setup I was planning on using wouldn't work because of the rake of the rudder. I had a partial tail wheel setup for the Dubro Scale Tail Wheel, and decided to use that. I ordered a new one, but it will probably take a week to get here. The weight of the fuselage with control surfaces and landing gear is 22 1/8 oz, my goal for the same set up covered was and still is 24 oz. I may go a little over but maybe I can make up for it on the wing which has a goal of 16 oz. The combined weight of the motor, ESC, battery, prop, spinner, and 4 servos is 1 3/4 lb, so it looks like my flying weight is going to be around 4 1/4 lb. I am going to finish the remaining work on the wing before I do any covering. The box is looking pretty empty. John
Feb 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
By George, I believe it is beginning to look like a Smoothie!
Feb 20, 2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks, don't give up on me. I am trying to get the wing to look as smooth as possible, and that is taking me some time. John
Feb 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
D.G.B.
Well,at least the boxis getting emptyer! Plane is looking great.Good look with the covering job.
sP
Feb 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
Yep, it won't be long until you clean off the workbench and start on your next project
Feb 22, 2013, 05:52 PM
Who cleans a work bench!
Feb 22, 2013, 05:56 PM
I have a ritual when I finish a plane....CLEAN OFF EVERYTHING.....so I don't put the wrong part on the right plane
Feb 22, 2013, 09:30 PM
Everything is sanded and smoothed. I put a 3/32" cap on the trailing edge of the wing to give the C A Hinges something to bite onto, and slotted the ailerons and T E. Everything lines up, now all I have to do is find the slots after I finish covering. Will start covering the wing tomorrow. There are some flaws, but I hope they won't be too noticeable. Here is the last pictures of the naked wood. The weight as pictured is 34 oz. John
Feb 23, 2013, 08:21 AM
Beautiful
Feb 23, 2013, 09:10 AM
Flying Low
Looks good