Feb 10, 2013, 12:00 AM
Chris

thanks for the info. all good. I think you might be right on the carb rotation. from what I can tell it looks do-able. will wait till I get it mounted where it needs to be to see what I need to do with linkage and carb position. I see that xyz from Valley View comes with extension levers for the throttle and choke. The throttle is a no brainer as there is a screw holding on the stock lever. But the choke lever is peened on and will require a bit of grinding to get it loose. Another nice included piece from Valley View is an aluminum spinner adapter.

sure you don't want to put that dle 20 in the sportsman?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2013, 03:44 PM
You're welcome Mike. Tempting to put the DLE in the Sportsman but everything is ready for it in the Skybolt. Dubro Vibration reducing mounts, hatch for the ignition plus the cowl now has a cutout for the DLE. Nice try though!!
Feb 11, 2013, 12:22 AM
Spent some time with the iron tonight and note a lot of ironing was needed to to smooth it out. especially where the rear of the wing roots and the curvey part of the fuse meet.

If anyone has installed a 20cc engine in their sportsman, I'd be interested to hear that story before I do so myself.

Mike
Feb 12, 2013, 06:26 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
No issues with my tail wheel though I thought the same. The pull-pull wire is wrapped with nylon so it slides easily and there isn't much pressure on the tubes to begin with.

A reversal surely could have been problematic with those struts. I test fit them quite a few times to make sure they were ok before I epoxied their wing mounts in. Once dry, I played with the final positioning at the fuse just to make sure.

Dude a 20cc would be so sweet! I wish!!!
Feb 14, 2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 266Chris
....Mike - check and see if you can flip the carb on your xyz20 180 degrees. It may help your linkage issue...
Chris
Chris
I exchanged post's with Tom at Valley View. He says I can rotate the carb but to be sure to rotate the reed block as well.

thanks
Mike
Feb 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
Sucker for biplanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto mike
Chris

thanks for the info. all good. I think you might be right on the carb rotation. from what I can tell it looks do-able. will wait till I get it mounted where it needs to be to see what I need to do with linkage and carb position. I see that xyz from Valley View comes with extension levers for the throttle and choke. The throttle is a no brainer as there is a screw holding on the stock lever. But the choke lever is peened on and will require a bit of grinding to get it loose. Another nice included piece from Valley View is an aluminum spinner adapter.

sure you don't want to put that dle 20 in the sportsman?
Hi, I was looking into the XYZ 20cc and wanted to see if the wieght valley view says is right. Its 26.8 oz with ignition and muffler? The DLE is 28oz and change with ignition and muffler. So I hear good things about the XYZ, its 2 oz's lighter, and $60 less, and valley view throughs in a kill switch! That seems like a good deal!
Feb 14, 2013, 10:24 PM
Can someone talk to me about the flaps and what you have done with them? Only for landing? how far do you deploy them?

Also with the xyz weight 3 or so oz more than the Saito, I was toying with the idea of mounting the tail wheel servo on the underside of the fuse just forward of the tail wheel to (one) move a little more weight aft and (two) to do something about the funky poorly aligned tail wheel pull pull system.

Mike
Feb 14, 2013, 10:31 PM
DMHF

I will see if I can weigh the engine some time soon. will have to hunt around for a scale that can weigh it. The XYZ seems to me to be a blatant copy of the DLE as does the RCGF. I notice that the xyz had a band of additional casting around the belly of the crankcase that the rcgf does not have. I am guessing it is to stiffen the case.

Weight not considered, Valley View gets good reviews and warrants the engine for two years. I got mine from their ebay store which was free shipping compared to their regular brick and mortar store. It came with choke and throttle extensions and a spinner adapter. So I'd say it is a good deal. Tom's correspondence indicates that they ran it for 20 minutes at their shop before shipping. others have said they run with no tuning out of the box because of this. Of course time will tell.

later
Mike
Last edited by moto mike; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Feb 15, 2013, 12:17 AM
Sucker for biplanes
Mike

I went ahead and order the engine off ebay, It seems the wieght is about the same as the DLE. Talked with Tom and the DLE pitts fits the XYZ. Seems like a nice engine for the price!
Feb 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
epoxied in the control horns today. Checked and found that the control rods that I thought to be composite are actually black painted steel. Oh well.

I checked the Hays regular 11oz regular tank with a chin. It fits and will be easy to install. I like the hays tanks because I think the stopper is super secure and it can handle gasoline with no additional parts.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK831&P=7

Mike.
Feb 17, 2013, 09:43 AM
I notice that there is a blind nut installed in the fuselage behind the tail wheel mounting blind nuts. It is covered over, but is there. It occurs to me that maybe at one time they planed on putting a bell crank back there to operate the tail wheel. that would be more in line with the tube exits.
Feb 17, 2013, 10:50 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Or it might be something to do with the floats/rudders.

The flaps are to be experimented with; try small amounts at first to see what your plane does. I used a 3 rate switch and played around. Slowed them down too with my radio! So cool!

Can't wait to see a gassy Glassy! Hurry up guys!!!
Last edited by MICKEL; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: reason
Feb 17, 2013, 06:32 PM
Mickel

Looks like you are right on the most aft blind nut. after looking at the book and see that it would not work of a bell crank set up. at least not without looking like a Rube Goldberg affair.

I'm waiting for all my gear to come in. Still don't have my servos. I don't want to get the radio bay locked in in case I have to move things around for balance.
Mar 07, 2013, 12:17 AM
I have the engine installed now and have trimmed the cowl to fit. I had to cut a smile in the front where the bottom front of the muffler can interferred with the cowl. I guess I should have sprung for the Pitts, but decided against it at this time. I have the choke and throttle sorted and the carb in it's stock position will work well I think.

the stock spinner is not a go with the wider prop washer on the XYZ. I have exchanged posts with a chap in the UK who put a DLE on his and he had the same problem. Also, the standard Dave Brown spinner is too short and would require shortening the spinner adapter an uncomfortable amount. don't really like the looks of the ultimate spinners. Have an H9 2.25 P51 spinner and 8mm adapter on the way now.

My first servo order seems to have vanished, so another one is on the way. all high tech

seems I have misplaced my camera, but will do something about that soon.

regards,
Mike
Mar 11, 2013, 11:09 AM
Ok servos and a few 15 and 16 inch props now here. Have begun installing the servos.

I thought I had solved my spinner problem by using one spec'd for the P51 as it is taller than standard but not supper pointy like the Ultimates. I erred by using a 13 inch prop for fit up and what I was not counting on is that at the 15 inch prop length also comes a deeper center cross section which adds to the stack height. So with the backing plate, prop, thick xyz prop washer and nut, there is no thread left for the provided spinner adapter to bite.

So I bit the bullet and called tru turn. As luck woud have it others had approached them with the same problem. That being the xyz chose to use an
8mm x point 75 thread pitch on their prop shafts. in other words uncommon and from what I can tell not found on any other engine. Tru Turn said they would ship it tomorrow if they had any extras left from the original run or will whip up some more with an expected shipping date of this Friday.

Quick Reply