Dec 26, 2012, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

APM 2.5, MinimOSD and telemetry and without telemetry

Is there a way to set up the APM 2.5 so that i can use the minimOSD with and without a telemetry link, with no removal of the OSD TX line?

I know UART0 is used for telemetry and UART1 is used for gps, can I separate UART2 for just the minimOSD?

Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2012, 07:31 PM
Chris Anderson
I'm not sure I quite understand the question, but you can share the Telem port (UART0) with both the radios and the OSD. Just use a Y cable. (We're going to be releasing a version of the MinimOSD that allows you to daisy-chain a 3DR radio, to make the wiring a bit easier).

UART2 is reserved for expansion (a new product coming soon)
Dec 26, 2012, 10:12 PM
+1 to What Chris said.. You can share the data coming out of UART0. Plus you have the telemetry out port. You can solder some headers on to the UART0 port marked on the side of the board. Then just pull from GND, 5V and TX0. I ended up going this route with a RCTimer board since their telemetry comes with a different header. The only downside I've found is you have to unplug the telemetry radio from the side UART0 pin headers if you go to use the USB port.

Here's a post I made on DIYD...

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...-mosd-solution
Dec 27, 2012, 05:52 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlite
I'm not sure I quite understand the question, but you can share the Telem port (UART0) with both the radios and the OSD. Just use a Y cable. (We're going to be releasing a version of the MinimOSD that allows you to daisy-chain a 3DR radio, to make the wiring a bit easier).

UART2 is reserved for expansion (a new product coming soon)
I always like new products. Any hint on what it might be and when it will be available?

Dec 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
I have it on the uart0 point on the board however I have to have thetelemetry connected (active) for it to work.... if the telemetry is not connected (not active) but the modem on the quad still connected (physically wired in) then the osd doesn't give values...

does the apm only stream the data to uart0 once the telemetry has connected to the ground station side? Or does it wait for a signal into the rx uart0 /2 of the apm to let it know to send the data.

Cheers
Last edited by mawright89; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Dec 27, 2012, 08:32 PM
You have to move the tx wire back and forth.
Dec 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
Damn, that's what I was hoping to be able to avoid. A spst switch for the osd txt line then but what happens if I accidentally have both tx active at the same time. Will it cause damage and if so what sort?
Dec 28, 2012, 01:01 PM
AMA 937634
@ RC Man,

DIYDrones announced yesterday that they now had the 2.5 with vertical pins and telemetry setup. Available in early January.

http://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_5_A...t-telem915.htm

Probably not the new product Chris was alluding to though but still a very cool offering IMHO.

-Mike
Dec 28, 2012, 04:21 PM
But not really what this thread is asking...
Dec 28, 2012, 05:11 PM
AMA 937634
True and didn't mean to thread jack but I guess my point was that with the new offering the telemetry will be built in so splitting the video with the telemetry won't be a problem any longer.

In actuality I was interested to the solution to your question too.

-Mike
Dec 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
Ah, I get what your getting at... will this be a hardware update organ I retro update a rctimer apm 2.5?
Dec 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
AMA 937634
Doesn't look like it. I have not read through the new documentation yet to see what else is different though.

If it's any consolation I just bought a DIYDrones Hexa B with the 2.5 and it won't come with it either.

-Mike
Dec 29, 2012, 12:00 AM

Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright89
Damn, that's what I was hoping to be able to avoid. A spst switch for the osd txt line then but what happens if I accidentally have both tx active at the same time. Will it cause damage and if so what sort?
I really doubt it would hurt anything. Garbage in might confuse the Flight Controller though. That could be bad.

It's not a big deal to pull the connector off the radio and stick it sideways on the OSD. The TX pin is the last pin on the connector, so it goes right on next to the OSD connector. Bit of a bother to remember, but you'll figure it out when OSD doesn't startup.
Dec 29, 2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp
I really doubt it would hurt anything. Garbage in might confuse the Flight Controller though. That could be bad.

It's not a big deal to pull the connector off the radio and stick it sideways on the OSD. The TX pin is the last pin on the connector, so it goes right on next to the OSD connector. Bit of a bother to remember, but you'll figure it out when OSD doesn't startup.
My data radios are the ones from Rc timer with the molded type connectors both ends. I have the osd on the uart0 extra points.. I'll put a switch on it and hopefully remember to switch it over.
Dec 31, 2012, 02:08 AM
is this the same? http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...2&productname=

Quick Reply