NESP Kestrel 100 build - RC Groups
Dec 26, 2012, 12:43 AM
AMA 73386
Build Log

NESP Kestrel 100 build

I'm in the building mood. I had a Kestrel kit years ago and I never built it, I think I sold it on this site. I am in the mood for a 100" RES, so thanks to RichardC951 I picked up this un-molested Kestrel kit.

I had read that some of these 100" kits had plans that were not correct to size so thats the first thing I checked. At least these W3 ribs are the right size.

First thing is to notch out the W3 ribs where the spoilers will go. The kit has both spoiler and flaperon options in the plans so the mods have to be done first.

I want a true RES, no flaps or flaperons
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
A great flying bird, well designed and fun to build. I started flying mine around 2002, the last time I crashed it, the fuselage suffered major damage so I put the wing on a composite pod/boom with Art Hobby tail feathers. It still flys great.
I recommend putting the servos for the spoilers in the wings, makes it a lot easier to hook up at the field and also to adjust. The fuselage is pretty thin in the front, I recommend you make sure the battery pack will fit before you finish gluing it together.
Other than that the build is straight forward.
Raed
Dec 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
AMA 73386
for my RX pack I use a small 610 3C lipo with a voltage regulator. They fit anywhere, and I have almost unlimited power for hours. The voltage regulator is about the size of a standard RX pack on/off switch. up to 30vdc input, 5vdc output. When my TX pack dies after 3 hours, the RX pack is barely used. I guess I could probably use a 2C, they are even thinner but I had these 3C packs laying around.
Dec 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
AMA 73386
I didnt get too much done today, just rough framing of the horizontal stabilizer. It needs trimmed to the final shape and sanding
Dec 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
AMA 73386
Plans for the Kestrel- someone asked me for a copy of the kestrel plans.

Kinkos wants roughly 32 dollars for the copy of the plans, a mailer tube and then the USPS mailing fee to mail it out.

I am already going to run one copy for somebody, if anyone else wants to scratch build this airplane let me know
Dec 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto
Plans for the Kestrel- someone asked me for a copy of the kestrel plans.

Kinkos wants roughly 32 dollars for the copy of the plans, a mailer tube and then the USPS mailing fee to mail it out.

I am already going to run one copy for somebody, if anyone else wants to scratch build this airplane let me know

If I may suggest.....

I've gone this route too.... careful at Kinkos, they might copy the plans in "color" rather than B/W, making the files VERY large, and much more expensive to print.

What I did with the last set I needed (Windrifter) was to have them scan the plans to a flash drive (saved as a PDF). IIRC, that ran about 15-17 bucks. Made sure they did it in B/W, not color. Then, had a set printed which ran about 9 bucks.

Now, I have the plans saved, I can email them to anyone who wants them, they can save it to a flash drive and take it to their local Kinkos and have them printed. Voila!
Dec 28, 2012, 01:17 AM
AMA 73386
Kinkos says they want 18 for B&W.

Finished the tail this evening.
Dec 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Quote:
Kinkos says they want 18 for B&W.

Finished the tail this evening.
Is that for the printing or the scanning? How many square feet are the plans?
Dec 28, 2012, 01:21 PM
AMA 73386
thats for a complete printed B/W copy of the plans. 8' long by 3' high
Dec 28, 2012, 07:33 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Quote:
thats for a complete printed B/W copy of the plans. 8' long by 3' high
That sounds about right. I think I paid 9 bucks per sheet, 75 cents per SF, but they were 48 x 36. So two 48 inch sheets would come to 18 bucks.
Dec 28, 2012, 11:37 PM
AMA 73386
I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I have the fuselage sides ready to go. It has light ply fuselage sides and balsa bottom and top. Pretty basic
Dec 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Looks like 2013 is gonna start out well! I got a PM from a member here offering to sell me an unstarted Kestrel 100 kit at a reasonable price. Needless to say I jumped at the opportunity. I'll be following this build thread closely!
Dec 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
AMA 73386
right on. My first deviation is going to be to skip the cable operated spoilers and just put a small servo in each spoiler bay
Dec 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
I believe they had some issue's with the laser cutting. Like not compensating for the curf of the laser. I've heard they had the same problem with the 2m Kestrel. I have one set up as r/e/a. and it fly's real good. I also have a 2m nib.
Dec 29, 2012, 10:43 PM
AMA 73386
so far the laser parts seem OK. But the real issue I just found is the fuselage side sheeting. The fuselage sides are light plywood, but the plans also show the fuselage sides having 1/8 balsa on the outside of the light plywood.

In the assembly instructions, there is nothing said about applying the 1/8balsa over the sides of the fuselage. There is no sheeting included in the kit, and it isnt in the materials list on the last page. Epic fail here NESP!

I am going to have to buy some 1/8 sheet. Also, the wing attach blocks arent drilled and tapped for the plastic screws, that would have been nice. The attach blocks just sit in the fuselage in a notch, I think there should be some fiberglass to help bond the wing block to the fuselage side or if you winch launched it you might pull the wing off.
Last edited by jzanutto; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM.