Thread Tools
Dec 23, 2012, 03:26 PM
I did it...
av8ersteve's Avatar
Question

Intake protection...


I have seen on some engines that they come with a screen to protect against sucking in debris into the engine. Is there a way I can make one of these for an air start? I have some ideas buy just wondering if someone here has already posted their idea. Once again, thanks .
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2012, 04:40 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve
I have seen on some engines that they come with a screen to protect against sucking in debris into the engine. Is there a way I can make one of these for an air start? I have some ideas buy just wondering if someone here has already posted their idea. Once again, thanks .
Yeah, just mount the mesh more forward in the jet!

This is a Mig15 where the FOD guard is mounted approx 70cm infront of the turbine.



If the airplane doies not have air ducts it's probably a trainer with the engine mounted ontop of the airframe which virtually eliminates the need of a fod guard.
Dec 23, 2012, 05:22 PM
Registered User
Dr Honda's Avatar
You can only use one on an air start if you are using compressed air.
Dec 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
I did it...
av8ersteve's Avatar
FOD? What does that stand for? I'm thinking something like Foreign Object ???
Dec 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
Registered User
Dr Honda's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve
FOD? What does that stand for? I'm thinking something like Foreign Object ???
Foreign Object Damage.


I run a FOD screen on all of my engines... other than my AMT air start. It's not good to suck things in the engine... but I watched a big stink bug get sucked into it last summer. The engine never missed a beat. (lol)
Dec 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
Registered User
They may be stinkbug proof but I've watched them suck up small stones and it wasn't a pretty sight
Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
vettster's Avatar
close Honda

Foreign Object Dabris.

Debris that can or has caused damage
Dec 30, 2012, 10:17 PM
TJK
TJK
Registered User
FOD stands for Foreign Object Damage, just ask any full-scale jet pilot, especially a military jet pilot.

The acronym can be used in many ways, as a noun, adjective, verb.

"Pick up that FOD"

"You stinkin' piece of FOD"

"I'm going to FOD your beer if you call me that again"

Tom
Dec 31, 2012, 10:01 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
vettster's Avatar
Actually it stands for both Debris and Damage.

Debris being what causes the Damage. They are more concerned with Debris, cause if you eliminate that! you will eliminate the Damage

Read on..http://fodsigns.com/fod-awareness/
Last edited by vettster; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Jan 07, 2013, 08:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Foreign Object Damage.


I run a FOD screen on all of my engines... other than my AMT air start. It's not good to suck things in the engine... but I watched a big stink bug get sucked into it last summer. The engine never missed a beat. (lol)
I know of one jet guy who has his hand suck into a AMT 450, not a pretty sight. The engine was on a test stand, a FOD screen might have prevented the injury.
Jan 09, 2013, 08:36 AM
I did it...
av8ersteve's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantagepoint
I know of one jet guy who has his hand suck into a AMT 450, not a pretty sight. The engine was on a test stand, a FOD screen might have prevented the injury.
Ouch! I would have hated to seen what that looked like. How much suction force is at the front of one of these engines?
Last edited by av8ersteve; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:41 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion calculate rounded intake FSA from a square intake stingeragents Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Oct 29, 2012 06:59 PM
Cool "The Coffin" Flight Controller Protection (not really "protected") acuralegendz Multirotor Drone Talk 2 Oct 28, 2012 08:08 PM
Discussion FSA and Intake Size CoolerByTheLake Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 9 Jul 25, 2012 11:53 AM
Sold Discontinued OS Engine Part 45569400, FS-120 Intake Pipe, NIP redball8 Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 4 Mar 14, 2012 08:35 PM
Found Intakes, ductings, intake lip for HAOYE 4,5" (115mm) EDF pajlotmato Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 4 Nov 21, 2011 07:47 PM