FPV Drifter Ultralight - 95cm wingspan - Page 51 - RC Groups
Jan 27, 2015, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
I love the idea of RC ultralight. Before the Drifter, I was looking into that weight shift MicroFlight model. Great idea. I'd love to have one. But too expensive.

The Drifter turned out great. But I am still looking for another that's similar.

I have seen some. Right now, it looks like the Art Tech Wing Dragon and the HK Super Scout 500 look similar. But bigger. Anyone have either of these as well?
I actually have a hand me down hk bixler 2 and just ordered the kit version to transplant parts over to. leaving that one though for the spring time after I have had a play with the drifter
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2015, 04:41 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfers25
I actually have a hand me down hk bixler 2 and just ordered the kit version to transplant parts over to. leaving that one though for the spring time after I have had a play with the drifter
I have a friend with a Bixler 2. As I was flying, it drilled the ground from 300 feet above me, within five feet from where I was standing. I didn't hear the crash until it was almost on top of me. Of course, I couldn't get out of the way -- I had a plane in the air!
Jan 27, 2015, 05:52 PM
Mine wasn't from HK or Arttech, it is a clone of Arttech Wing Dragon and it is still flying after 2 years of service.

It's a little bit bigger than the drifter, and its handling is similar, too. The major drawback is the limited and hard to access internal space for the electronis.

The flight control can place in the original servo mount plate and DIY the elevator/rudder servo at the tail as shown in my pic.

The scaled cockpit of the drifter gives much more satisfaction when fpv flying with it in view.
Last edited by Billy6386a; Jan 27, 2015 at 06:06 PM.
Jan 27, 2015, 06:30 PM
ultra cheap pilot
I'm also almost dig into Art-tech Wing Dragon too before Drifter came into the scene. Slightly expensive and narrower cockpit. The only plus i see is quick detachable wings.
Feb 01, 2015, 12:01 AM
fly by night
time to revive this thread.

I finally made this plane something worthy of the effort: Twin motors - on the front of the wing! Using some 1804 Emax multirotor motors. Now she ROG reliably and flies OK. Lazily and relaxing, but also kind of fun

from today

DriftingAway (4 min 7 sec)

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 08, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
Feb 08, 2015, 01:19 PM
fly by night
testng the new animated cockpit and gyro.

the gyro need some tuning.

doll is a 'skateboard guy' from Walmart. lost his torso and left arm, poor fella, but it was dead weight

Twin Drifter moving stick maiden (2 min 0 sec)

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 08, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Feb 08, 2015, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker

https://vimeo.com/119024238
You've "cracked" it- excellent stuff- look forward to much more
Feb 08, 2015, 02:47 PM
What the Heli is up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker

https://vimeo.com/119024238
Great work on the animated cockpit BC, I'm gonna have to come up with something like this as it really makes it look like a full scale plane in the videos.
Feb 08, 2015, 02:54 PM
What the Heli is up!
Has anyone seen the big brother to the Drifter? HobbyKing just came out with the AeroSport 103. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I like it except for the price!
Feb 08, 2015, 03:30 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Oh my god!!!! Thanks for the heads up, Mike. This thing is amazing! (Pilot needs replacing. But at this size, I could put an old school 12" GI Joe "doll" in there!)

And embrace my true doll loving ways, and get one from the '70's with Kung Fu Grip, or better yet, Bionic Arm!
Feb 08, 2015, 03:37 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Dang! Checking again... Balsa wing and tail??

It seems that having a rigid steel or aluminum frame, then combining with Balsa is not right. They could do a foam wing and tail. That would seem to make more sense.
Feb 08, 2015, 04:26 PM
What the Heli is up!
I'm thinking with that kind of wingspan foam might have a lot of flex.
Feb 08, 2015, 04:34 PM
fly by night
that is a monster, and gorgeous scale one too. I think with the double wing struts it would be good in foam actually. But the covering they used looks more scale of course
Feb 08, 2015, 11:07 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
I just have less time than what Balsa repair requires, until I retire in 10-20 years...
Feb 09, 2015, 12:10 AM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
I just have less time than what Balsa repair requires, until I retire in 10-20 years...
exactly, wise choice my friend

I have crashed my KatanaMD twice (balsy/ply/covering/CF precision aerobat). And not too hard crash. Required up to 10 hours to repair each time! Would be 10min with a foamie

-

flew Drifter Twin again today. Plane became almost uncontrollable! Turns out the ESCs were confused, as the throttle for the miniquad they came from with unusual and not consistent with the plane's throttle action. I neglected to calibrate the throttle, and had to fly her in on one motor - no damage. This was fixed with 5 second fix immediately after landing though. , LOL. Just one of those things.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 09, 2015 at 01:14 AM.