Nov 21, 2020, 09:47 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
I think it was doing okay. Definitely needed more throttle to get it up in the air. But the location of the floats could have been too far forward. I have now come to realize, that the “step” of the float is supposed to align with the CG of the plane. This formula, I believe is one from full sized aircraft. But strange thing. I put floats on my Dynam SR-22 and the float step was way forwars, and it seemed to fly pretty well.
Probably because real aircraft mass and fuselage drag is different from lighter R/C model which affect floats placement and CG.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2020, 11:16 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mike
Hey Thosmosis. I've been flying some gassers the last couple of years but I want to get back into flying fpv again which means the drifter is going to be seeing some flight time again, but probably not until the spring as the weather is getting a bit cold here.
Aren’t you in Oregon?
Nov 23, 2020, 08:21 AM
What the Heli is up!
Nope, I think you have me mistaken for someone else.
Last edited by Heli Mike; Dec 01, 2020 at 05:21 PM.
Dec 03, 2020, 09:52 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Mayday. Too windy trying to fly at the house. No real damage. Wing strut came loose on the nose in. The wind was bouncing me all over. A more gradual approach was going to be risky.

Drifter Sand Sage 6 HD (2 min 59 sec)
Dec 03, 2020, 10:00 AM
I got FPV fever
Lucky Jim ....
Dec 05, 2020, 12:20 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Nailed it on this landing. Hopefully redeemed myself from the last one...

Drifter Sand Sage 10 (7 min 23 sec)
Dec 08, 2020, 03:32 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Thread OP
Nice landing thosmosis!
Dec 08, 2020, 08:36 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Thanks ICan! This flight from yesterday, I was able to hit an even slimmer runway. Though I should have come in low earlier. The sun was in my eyes at this angle and had little time to mess around with a longer approach. (I did adjust the focal point on the Mobius, however. So, now at least the instrument panel is in focus. The most important part! Lol)

Drifter MRC 11 (5 min 38 sec)
Dec 08, 2020, 09:53 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Thread OP
Yeah! the view looks better that with nice view of the panel like aviation videos. Glad to see you have more airtime with your drifter.

On my side i manage to trouble shoot my problematic engine failed on drifter. Looks like i have a dud brushless motor that cooks the ESC along. So i have to replace both. Its already now on 3rd motor and esc replacement after almost decades in service compare to other drifters. Being frugal i think i need to salvage spare motor and esc from my multirotor which expect have torque 1kg of thrurt under 8A. We'll see how it goes. If i don't finish my fix then the 'shelf queen' Drifter V1 the one that have pan+tilt feature will be back in action just to keep me entertained for a while.
Dec 08, 2020, 10:34 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Hi iCan. Looking forward to more seaside Drifting videos. Or, the P-51 with the head tracking cam up high. You fly very scale when up high with FPV. Looks very cool.
Dec 09, 2020, 09:58 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Thread OP
P-51D will take some deep sleep for a while because its rainy season where it suppose to fly. Hopefully i'll get my drifter fix this weekend, i need to 3d print the motor mount for it.
Dec 09, 2020, 10:49 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Bad news on the P-51. That one had some great scale looks up high. I think we all miss it!
Dec 10, 2020, 02:23 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
Bad news on the P-51. That one had some great scale looks up high. I think we all miss it!
Don't worry when the rain season is moving away the P-51D will continue its sorties.
Btw i'm still working on new FPV planes......F22 Raptor.
Dec 10, 2020, 08:56 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Good news!

In other news... wasn’t there a chap on this forum that had a cool scale DH.2 that he was going to fly FpV? Had a pan servo’d cam in the cockpit. Looked like a cool idea. I think it was the Maxford ARF model. Which I think is one of the only companies making a DH.2 RC model. I had seen some videos of the model in the air from other YouTube sources. And always thought that it looked like it struggled in the air. Was wondering if that guy had ever gotten the plane up?
Dec 10, 2020, 09:05 AM
CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Hi guys.....long time away from this thread. LOT'S of changes. Made a big life decision and move over the summer. RC got put on hold so I never got to try to fly my Drifter.
She survived the move though! She looks the same as in the picture on pg 199 in this thread. Green and yellow stripes, 1.3vtx and EZUHF control.

The latest: Last week I got to take her out to try the maiden after waiting since April to do it......
Didn't go well. I ran into the age old harsh nose over issues. I have 3" wheels on her and short grass. Everytime I tried to power up she instantly shoved her nose into the ground. Even on very smooth ground. Got impatient and decided on a hand launch. Power up to 3/4 and good toss just had her face plant herself into the ground. Busted some things loose but she's ready to go again. It was a hard nose over during the launch, not even close to flying.

I flew 3 other planes just fine that day. Easy hand launches without issue. So back to the drawing board so-to-speak. Checking CG and motor thrust angle. I have always been suspicious of the motor angle. I followed what I thought was how everyone here had mounted theirs but maybe I missed something. The motor only has washers under the bottom bolts to slightly tilt the motor up. I think it needs a lot more. It is too close to being straight back right now.
Not giving up but things need to get much better!
Happy flying,
Ken

Quick Reply