Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by rclab1
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Nice images!!!! FPV cockpit flying, I always enjoy!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by ican3d
flying ninja!
Flying along drifter ultra light. My mustang should be ready soon for FPV.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
flying ninja!
Yesterday i almost lost my plane due to video loss. I was flying far away at very high altitude around 1.5KM then suddenly video went out, i was totally lost video connection with my plane for more than 1 minutes!! I cut off the throttle and thumbs off on the stick hoping it could stay afloat and avoid further possible crashes. I was shouting to my buddies if they saw my plane who are few seconds behind me. Then checking around my FPV equipment and troubleshooting was possible could trigger the loss. My plane was solid build in circuit connection so could not possibly got its power disconnected up in the air and double check my AIO goggles connection.. it was good..until i found out the frequency selection knob on top of my goggles got loose and derailed into another frequency causing total disconnection. Quickly i turn the knob to my original frequency and there i found my plane in hovering mode after 2 minutes tinkering around my equipment. Surprisingly the Drifter Ultralight stays slightly on the same spot hovering linearly with no indication of dropping altitude and doesn't drop like normal plane do. Its like cotton in the air!! Love it. After taking back control of my plane i quickly dive and landed safely so i can catch my breath after all those panic mode.

I had to remind myself:
-Don't forget to bring my Ground Station as backups
-Must install RTH and failsafe.
-Always tape and secure loose video frequency switching knobs.

After the incident i realized the Drifter actually most best FPV platform i ever had compare to any FPV plane i own. My Bixler@Skysurfer was my favorite but i think i'll push my FPV Bixler & Raptor position back to number 2 and 3 after seeing all the capabilities of Drifter. Drifter floating ability, maneuverability, climbing performance, endurance, portability, low cost, self balancing and maintenance ease are the key points to all my FPV needs.

After that we had chasing and tandem flight session with my buddies.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by gp125racer
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Looks cool! Could you please share where you have installed your components on the airframe??

Thanks for sharing!
Don
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:38 AM
Find More Posts by msev
Ican3d, how much does that uncased bloggie weigh? I have one still cased and I'm curious how much grams do you loose when removing the case
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:03 AM
Find More Posts by nige838
Where'd you get your video TX, camera, and wide angle lens?

Thanks and great thread...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 PM
flying ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
Looks cool! Could you please share where you have installed your components on the airframe??

Thanks for sharing!
Don
Thanks, attached are photos where i installed my hardware, mostly attached under the fuselage for excelent CG and pendulum weight stability factor.
-(Under the fuselage): 5.8Ghz 200mw nano vtx (1S) + clover leaf antenna, Radio receiver, G-OSDII . Mounting video and radio transmitter under the fuselaje with upsidedown CL antenna give superb excelent range due to unobstructed LOS. The tall landing gear give excelent ground clearance to avoid electronics from beings smacked even under hard landing.
-(Behind the seat hatch): HK micro UBEC 5V/3A, Lost and found beeper.
-(2nd seat): 1300mah 1S 20C lipo to power video transmitter and mini cam FH18C.
-(1st seat): Light weight modded SONY BLOGGIE for recording with its cased on FH18C + 130 degree lenses, main pilot cam FHC18C + 150 degree lenses, HXT900 modded 2.2K resistor for 170 degree full pan.
-(Top wing behind motor): G-OSDII GPS module
-(Lower tail boom): extended nano microphone
-(Motor pillar): 20A ESC stock taken from Art-tech plane (BEC removed/cut red wire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Ican3d, how much does that uncased bloggie weigh? I have one still cased and I'm curious how much grams do you loose when removing the case
I don't have weighting machine but i estimated its 1/3 from its original weight after remove all the unnecessary parts, case, buttons, metal background noise filter, metal tabs, USB port, li-on battery, remove camera lenses and auto focus mechanism housing.
The SONY Bloggie camera was stripped left only CCD board censored and perfectly case inside FOXTECH FH18C mini camera case with i can easily fit any customizavle lenses (130 degree).
SONY Bloggie now powered from my Radio RX 3 pin port which suppy 5V from channel port just to save weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige838 View Post
Where'd you get your video TX, camera, and wide angle lens?

Thanks and great thread...
Got all from FOXTECHFPV.com.

--------------------------------------------------------
Its been a month flying this plane almost daily basis still amaze me in terms of perfomance, agility, ease of flying, stability, climbing power, floating capability and system failure situation. It makes my biggest long range FPV Sky Surfer@Bixler a junk. It was decided after long consideration about permanent "jack of all trade FPV platform" i bought 2nd unit of Drifter Ultra light and gutted out all my FPV equipment from SKY SURFER 1.4m into the drifter for long range flight purposes.
I will compile video of my flights once i filter up my videos and collect bunch of light location.

Ultralight drifter strong keypoint:
-------------------------------------------
-Huge climbing power, unlimited altitude, endurance and efficient.
-All weather plane: clam, huge gust of wind, turbulance and thermal..no problem
-Easy to take off and landing via video goggles.
-Easy maintenance access. Customizable.
-Not CG sensitive. Able to carry same load as standard size FPV plane.
-Still glide, maintain altitude, self stable and low ground impact if all system fail/shutdown.
-Small friendly looking plane, lightweight, less public damage if inccur, portable, detacheable. ( i got video recorded crashed into some places, not a scratch or dings...awesome plane)
-Low cost, small lipo, small servo, small vtx/rx and etc.
-Predictable control, fast reaction, quick turn
-Flies like big plane
-Huge after market parts (under EASY SKY brand)
-Very scale plane, nice cockpit view. Fliew like scale too.
=======================================
Cheers.
Last edited by ican3d; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by tymodel
Jack Xie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d View Post
Thanks, attached are photos where i installed my hardware, mostly attached under the fuselage for excelent CG and pendulum weight stability factor.
-(Under the fuselage): 5.8Ghz 200mw nano vtx (1S) + clover leaf antenna, Radio receiver, G-OSDII . Mounting video and radio transmitter under the fuselaje with upsidedown CL antenna give superb excelent range due to unobstructed LOS. The tall landing gear give excelent ground clearance to avoid electronics from beings smacked even under hard landing.
-(Behind the seat hatch): HK micro UBEC 5V/3A, Lost and found beeper.
-(2nd seat): 1300mah 1S 20C lipo to power video transmitter and mini cam FH18C.
-(1st seat): Light weight modded SONY BLOGGIE for recording with its cased on FH18C + 130 degree lenses, main pilot cam FHC18C + 150 degree lenses, HXT900 modded 2.2K resistor for 170 degree full pan.
-(Top wing behind motor): G-OSDII GPS module
-(Lower tail boom): extended nano microphone
-(Motor pillar): 20A ESC stock taken from Art-tech plane (BEC removed/cut red wire)

I don't have weighting machine but i estimated its 1/3 from its original weight after remove all the unnecessary parts, case, buttons, metal background noise filter, metal tabs, USB port, li-on battery, remove camera lenses and auto focus mechanism housing.
The SONY Bloggie camera was stripped left only CCD board censored and perfectly case inside FOXTECH FH18C mini camera case with i can easily fit any customizavle lenses (130 degree).
SONY Bloggie now powered from my Radio RX 3 pin port which suppy 5V from channel port just to save weight.

Got all from FOXTECHFPV.com.

--------------------------------------------------------
Its been a month flying this plane almost daily basis still amaze me in terms of perfomance, agility, ease of flying, stability, climbing power, floating capability and system failure situation. It makes my biggest long range FPV Sky Surfer@Bixler a junk. It was decided after long consideration about permanent "jack of all trade FPV platform" i bought 2nd unit of Drifter Ultra light and gutted out all my FPV equipment from SKY SURFER 1.4m into the drifter for long range flight purposes.
I will compile video of my flights once i filter up my videos and collect bunch of light location.

Ultralight drifter strong keypoint:
-------------------------------------------
-Huge climbing power, unlimited altitude, endurance and efficient.
-All weather plane: clam, huge gust of wind, turbulance and thermal..no problem
-Easy to take off and landing via video goggles.
-Easy maintenance access. Customizable.
-Not CG sensitive. Able to carry same load as standard size FPV plane.
-Still glide, maintain altitude, self stable and low ground impact if all system fail/shutdown.
-Small friendly looking plane, lightweight, less public damage if inccur, portable, detacheable. ( i got video recorded crashed into some places, not a scratch or dings...awesome plane)
-Low cost, small lipo, small servo, small vtx/rx and etc.
-Predictable control, fast reaction, quick turn
-Flies like big plane
-Huge after market parts (under EASY SKY brand)
-Very scale plane, nice cockpit view. Fliew like scale too.
=======================================
Cheers.
Fantastic!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by rclab1
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
This one is similiar plane, but bigger!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html

Should be able to carry more of your camera/FPV gear :-)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:08 PM
flying ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
This one is similiar plane, but bigger!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_PNF_.html

Should be able to carry more of your camera/FPV gear :-)
Looks good but i prefer smaller, lightweight and low side drag body. This Super Scout plane has a hard body so it might be hazardous if it crashed down and hit into civilian below. So i prefer something safe and lightweight for both party. Btw its not as scale as the real thing...no cockpit view. So Super Scout will probably arouse people to treat it as a drone rather than leisurely scale flight.
Super Scout reminds me of my old HK Sky Arrow, the rubber band holding the wings will break, no wing cabane/struts will definately increase the wing load and break the wings apart and the 4 studs where it used to hold the rubber and in place will loose and displace over time....this is what experience taught me in the past.

Btw i've ugpgraded my Drifter with RTH module. Works great and got everything i need to get my precious scale drifter back to home base and boost my level of confidence having a safe flight.
Last edited by ican3d; Mar 18, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:02 PM
flying ninja!
I'm trying to push my Drifter Ultralight to its maximum range but my old 1000mah 3s 35C crappy battery quickly loses its capacity and hit RTH. I'm waiting for a new batch lipo battery to give more runtime and power soon. So far FPV on drifter was a blast to fly, best for relaxing sight seeing trip. Excellent long distance flyer in its current size and weight. Floaty and the RTH system can easily manage its flight mode on all its wing surfaces. Hoping to get 5~10km range but my worn out 1000mah lipo can pushes up to 2.5km mark leaving enough juice to return back another 2.5km return home.

I love my drifter.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by parkjungho

How long flight time wiht 3s 1,000ma?

I prepare assemble drifter kit version.
I order this plane and storm osd.

I wish to use 3S 1,000ma battery and 30a ESC.
and 2,200kv motor.

Can flight 10min this setup?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:55 AM
flying ninja!
I run on 20A ESC with stock motor + fresh new 3s 1000mah 35C zippy compact, giving me approximately 20 minutes of runtime hovering at high altitude.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:54 PM
flying ninja!
Been flying my drifter exceeding 50 flight times in my log and i love it! Now i got second drifter setup for superlight weight FPV plane built for mid range FPV.

So now i got both! one for Long Range equipped with ARKBIRD RTH (4~10km) & another one for short range super lightweight park flyer (2km). Fun to fly, small, can fly dead stick and agile.

**My advice for those getting this plane is to direct solder their ESC wire to motor because stock bullet connector have cold soldering and will break due to vibration after 4th flight so be aware, it happened to both of my drifter ...luckily it was just about to take off.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by parkjungho

My Drifter FPV setup.

Last satuday I had done test fligt my drifter.

I use storm OSD an 5.8 ghz 200m diy module.

esc : 30a
motor : AXN float jet's 2100kv motor
Battery : 3S 1000mah 25c
prop : 6*5 may be not good to me so I will test 6*4 or 5*5 prop

Very good park fly FPV plane.

It can be taxing and take off and landing.

This plane is best fit to my wanted.

Hear is my first flying video of my club day.
- rain drop to my keycam.
Jeonju multiwii club flying date. (2 min 30 sec)
Last edited by parkjungho; Apr 22, 2013 at 03:39 AM.