FPV Drifter Ultralight - 95cm wingspan - Page 155 - RC Groups
May 15, 2017, 08:14 AM

Old video but she's still flying!

I've been following in silence this post, enjoying every bit of info, now is time to share some of my adventures with the Drifter. It's been more than 2 years that I'm flying it and honestly even if I do own several "better performance" planes, I always come back to her.
I want to thank everyone in this thread for your invaluable info and specially to @ican3d for being such a huge inspiration, taking the Drifter to limits that no one ever thought possible.

I'll be posting more videos as soon as I finish the editing... not much time these days. Happy flying!

The maiden:

ES 9908 DRIFTER - Maiden Flight (2 min 31 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 08:17 AM

One of her first FPV flights

Now a longer video with FPV equipment. By this point I changed motor mount, motors (for a 2212 1400kv), prop (8x6)... Still flying on a single 2200 3S and getting around 18 minutes.

ES 9908 DRIFTER - FPV / Flying around and sunset (6 min 38 sec)
May 15, 2017, 09:16 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Nice video guys, i see many drifter still alive and well in here. Don't crash it since its already consider a valuable relic. I'm still working to do motor mount modification. For those who own past 4 year old drifter better double check the motor plastic mount for cracks. Some plastic doesn't age well especially when exposed to heat from motor after many cycle.
May 17, 2017, 05:13 PM
Hi chaps, Well my beaten up old girl still fly's as well as ever even though it's been through the mill over the years!
I would love to get a new one if anyone finds a good supplier , co's I never want to be without a "Drifter"
It's the only plane I have ever trusted 100% never to stall and spiral in like many do
P.s- my home made mount and original motor have never let me down I'm proud to say
May 17, 2017, 08:00 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe
Hi chaps, Well my beaten up old girl still fly's as well as ever even though it's been through the mill over the years!
I would love to get a new one if anyone finds a good supplier , co's I never want to be without a "Drifter"
It's the only plane I have ever trusted 100% never to stall and spiral in like many do
P.s- my home made mount and original motor have never let me down I'm proud to say
I like how you hang the plane on the ceiling, is that DIY?
Is that phone number under the wing?
May 18, 2017, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
I like how you hang the plane on the ceiling, is that DIY?
Is that phone number under the wing?
Hi ican, Yes I hang them in my garage since I'm running out of space
Yes- thats my phone number , which reminds me , I'm moving away from Scotland so better take it off soon
May 18, 2017, 02:27 AM
Quote:
Nice video guys, i see many drifter still alive and well in here. Don't crash it since its already consider a valuable relic. I'm still working to do motor mount modification. For those who own past 4 year old drifter better double check the motor plastic mount for cracks. Some plastic doesn't age well especially when exposed to heat from motor after many cycle.
Thanks! I'll keep it flying! I've crashed mine so many times, and re-glued it again... it's unbelivable... ! True about the motor mount... maybe the only weak spot of the plane.

Cheers!
Jun 08, 2017, 07:02 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Today made final flight routine before all my Drifter going back to the workshop for extensive 2017 upgrades to improve performance and range capability. Some electronics part on Drifter V1 and V2 goes wonky and range degraded due to 'getting too old' after few kilometers of test flights. Will replace vtx module, radio receiver unit, motors and using Li-on battery LG MJ1 18650 (3500mah) type. Overall will see reduction weight of -100gram and extra range.
Jun 28, 2017, 12:09 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Spending more time tuning newly upgraded Drifter for 2017 spec. One of the drifter had its motor upgraded (white props).
Jul 05, 2017, 05:16 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
I had a quick flight at the local school on the weekend. Drifter is nice for flying in small spaces.

Chasing Bix 3 with the Drifter (1 min 17 sec)
Jul 05, 2017, 07:44 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
I had a quick flight at the local school on the weekend. Drifter is nice for flying in small spaces.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATaTI7L_rVk
Nice flight Chris, i always notice your plane have very fast rolling and loop response on surface control. Did you upgrade the servo or max up the end point throw?

As for my latest updates i've change my Drifter #2 motor to LT2204 KV2200 ripped out from Nano Sky Hunter plane. Fits nicely and no vibration. Lots of torque power even on stock prop. Made my morning flight more enjoyable.
Jul 06, 2017, 04:33 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Quote:
Nice flight Chris, i always notice your plane have very fast rolling and loop response on surface control. Did you upgrade the servo or max up the end point throw?

As for my latest updates i've change my Drifter #2 motor to LT2204 KV2200 ripped out from Nano Sky Hunter plane. Fits nicely and no vibration. Lots of torque power even on stock prop. Made my morning flight more enjoyable.
My stock aileron servo burnt out a long time ago so yes a replacement servo with longer arms so more throws. But trick to snap rolling is to also throw in full rudder with ailerons! I was doing these aerobatics to show off to a newbie looking through goggles for the first time and he is hooked and buying FPV gear now
Jul 06, 2017, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
My stock aileron servo burnt out a long time ago so yes a replacement servo with longer arms so more throws. But trick to snap rolling is to also throw in full rudder with ailerons! I was doing these aerobatics to show off to a newbie looking through goggles for the first time and he is hooked and buying FPV gear now
He he he. Thats why I always have my visitors goggles with me...
Jul 06, 2017, 01:05 PM
Pulled the old -beaten- girl out of the box and found she STILL fly's like a good'un
If I could only find an undercarriage that will withstand the extra weight of the bigger battery and fpv kit she'd be purrrfect
nicktwinnflying (3 min 0 sec)
Jul 06, 2017, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe
Pulled the old -beaten- girl out of the box and found she STILL fly's like a good'un
If I could only find an undercarriage that will withstand the extra weight of the bigger battery and fpv kit she'd be purrrfect
https://youtu.be/cNljh0x0pQM
What can I say........another perfect landing