FPV Drifter Ultralight - 95cm wingspan - Page 151 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Nov 23, 2016, 11:26 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
ChrisJ800's Avatar
I had a brief FPV flight this afternoon and chased a Wing for a while.

Drifter chasing Andrew Wing (1 min 24 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2016, 07:40 PM
ultra cheap pilot
ican3d's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio

Ican, I don't have any way to collect real-time data from a Drifter yet, can you calculate watts/volts/amps from your info for stall speed and for efficient cruise speed? That would help put below data in perspective I think, and make the proper choice easier.
I'm bad with it comes to math but all i know assume surrounding wind speed is 0 (Zero), stall speed would be at 15km/h. But if there's normal wind condition lets say 10km/h wind head into drifter then stall rate will be 5km/h. All this assume the Drifter was flying at full flying weight of 615~630gram with average cruise speed of 55~70% throttle. Amp consumption during cruise speed on stock motors + prop varies between 7~8 amps according to telemetry reading on Drifter #3.
Nov 24, 2016, 11:36 PM
Embrace the suck!
Fyathyrio's Avatar
Watts = volts * amps, you can grab some data from your telemetry for various voltages and amps and we can figure the rest out easy enough. I believe watts, since they measure power, should be similar across a variety of motor & prop combos.
Nov 26, 2016, 12:17 PM
Corsair Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio
Watts = volts * amps, you can grab some data from your telemetry for various voltages and amps and we can figure the rest out easy enough. I believe watts, since they measure power, should be similar across a variety of motor & prop combos.
This is a stock power system with FY41 AP OSD system. Hope this helps with some readings you are looking for.
Nov 27, 2016, 07:52 PM
Embrace the suck!
Fyathyrio's Avatar
Garry, I forgot about your vids with telemetry...thanks! Looks like cruising about 80 watts, which matches ican's estimates, that's about 300g thrust on the test bench. My lower kv motor running a 6045 prop gets that at around 50 to 60 watts, so should net some nice efficiency increases if that 25% drop equates to in the air performance. Won't know until around Christmas after finals are over and I get to finish building it.
Dec 30, 2016, 09:25 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
ChrisJ800's Avatar
My new Drifter now has the Mini Mobius camera instead of the keychain camera. The new Drifter comes with a modified motor mount (ply hotglued to the plastic frame). And the hotglue failed today on its 2nd ever flight. Here is the crash footage but no damage other than pride!

Drifter crash flown FPV (1 min 27 sec)
Dec 30, 2016, 10:18 PM
Corsair Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
My new Drifter now has the Mini Mobius camera instead of the keychain camera. The new Drifter comes with a modified motor mount (ply hotglued to the plastic frame). And the hotglue failed today on its 2nd ever flight. Here is the crash footage but no damage other than pride!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIR6hy3wyDU
Are you that nose heavy? Mine glides rather well for having an FY41AP OSD and FPV gear with a 2200mAh 3S battery. Glad you had no damage. That was a forgiving bush that caught it.
Dec 30, 2016, 10:24 PM
What the Heli is up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
My new Drifter now has the Mini Mobius camera instead of the keychain camera. The new Drifter comes with a modified motor mount (ply hotglued to the plastic frame). And the hotglue failed today on its 2nd ever flight. Here is the crash footage but no damage other than pride!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIR6hy3wyDU
Glad to here there wasn't any damage!

Happy New Year to all my fellow Drifters, I hope everyone got some new RC stuff for Christmas!
Dec 30, 2016, 10:34 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
ChrisJ800's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk
Are you that nose heavy? Mine glides rather well for having an FY41AP OSD and FPV gear with a 2200mAh 3S battery. Glad you had no damage. That was a forgiving bush that caught it.
I was gliding into a 20 kt headwind so not penetrating.
Dec 31, 2016, 11:23 PM
ultra cheap pilot
ican3d's Avatar
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 TO ALL DRIFTER PILOT!!!
Sorry for all caps, that mean happiness, lol.
Jan 15, 2017, 12:44 AM
Registered User
stanordave's Avatar
Don't know why I didn't do it before! Been using 2650 and 3000s in the Drifter but it never dawned on me that I have a bunch of 1500, 3s packs. Tried two in series and they fit great! Plane handled well. Should of used them long ago! Oh well, blaming it on getting old..
Jan 15, 2017, 05:38 AM
ultra cheap pilot
ican3d's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
Don't know why I didn't do it before! Been using 2650 and 3000s in the Drifter but it never dawned on me that I have a bunch of 1500, 3s packs. Tried two in series and they fit great! Plane handled well. Should of used them long ago! Oh well, blaming it on getting old..
Drifter can actually carry up to big 3s 3500mah lipo pack provided that the landing gear must be reinforced to support the weight and the wing must embedded extra carbon spar.
Jan 15, 2017, 08:08 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
thosmosis's Avatar

Gone since Forever


Trying to get some of my original Drifter repaired. And ready for another flight after all this time!

Drifter Wax 311 (3 min 9 sec)
Jan 31, 2017, 06:30 PM
ultra cheap pilot
ican3d's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
Trying to get some of my original Drifter repaired. And ready for another flight after all this time!

https://youtu.be/_ozfODav6lk

Should restock more spare Drifter kit because i notice this plane seems to be disappearing from major online shelf, my friend back in the game for FPV looking for drifter unfortunately for him this plane is now hard to come by.
Jan 31, 2017, 09:46 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
ChrisJ800's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
Should restock more spare Drifter kit because i notice this plane seems to be disappearing from major online shelf, my friend back in the game for FPV looking for drifter unfortunately for him this plane is now hard to come by.
There is a supplier in Hong Kong on eBay and also spare parts on eBay. And Banggood has it for a cheap price.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Good on-road/drifter? resonatortune On-road Cars 21 Oct 07, 2012 11:48 PM
Discussion FPV Newbie- Seeking ultralight 1S OSD, voltage only? Pete P FPV Talk 0 Jul 05, 2012 03:28 PM
Discussion More Ultralight FPV, added a tilt servo too... Bonafidepirate FPV Talk 11 Jun 30, 2008 04:45 AM