Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
I had a brief FPV flight this afternoon and chased a Wing for a while.

Drifter chasing Andrew Wing (1 min 24 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2016, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by ican3d
flying ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post

Ican, I don't have any way to collect real-time data from a Drifter yet, can you calculate watts/volts/amps from your info for stall speed and for efficient cruise speed? That would help put below data in perspective I think, and make the proper choice easier.
I'm bad with it comes to math but all i know assume surrounding wind speed is 0 (Zero), stall speed would be at 15km/h. But if there's normal wind condition lets say 10km/h wind head into drifter then stall rate will be 5km/h. All this assume the Drifter was flying at full flying weight of 615~630gram with average cruise speed of 55~70% throttle. Amp consumption during cruise speed on stock motors + prop varies between 7~8 amps according to telemetry reading on Drifter #3.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by Fyathyrio
Embrace the suck!
Watts = volts * amps, you can grab some data from your telemetry for various voltages and amps and we can figure the rest out easy enough. I believe watts, since they measure power, should be similar across a variety of motor & prop combos.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by garryk
Corsair Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyathyrio View Post
Watts = volts * amps, you can grab some data from your telemetry for various voltages and amps and we can figure the rest out easy enough. I believe watts, since they measure power, should be similar across a variety of motor & prop combos.
This is a stock power system with FY41 AP OSD system. Hope this helps with some readings you are looking for.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Fyathyrio
Embrace the suck!
Garry, I forgot about your vids with telemetry...thanks! Looks like cruising about 80 watts, which matches ican's estimates, that's about 300g thrust on the test bench. My lower kv motor running a 6045 prop gets that at around 50 to 60 watts, so should net some nice efficiency increases if that 25% drop equates to in the air performance. Won't know until around Christmas after finals are over and I get to finish building it.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:25 PM
My new Drifter now has the Mini Mobius camera instead of the keychain camera. The new Drifter comes with a modified motor mount (ply hotglued to the plastic frame). And the hotglue failed today on its 2nd ever flight. Here is the crash footage but no damage other than pride!

Drifter crash flown FPV (1 min 27 sec)
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by garryk
Corsair Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
My new Drifter now has the Mini Mobius camera instead of the keychain camera. The new Drifter comes with a modified motor mount (ply hotglued to the plastic frame). And the hotglue failed today on its 2nd ever flight. Here is the crash footage but no damage other than pride!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIR6hy3wyDU
Are you that nose heavy? Mine glides rather well for having an FY41AP OSD and FPV gear with a 2200mAh 3S battery. Glad you had no damage. That was a forgiving bush that caught it.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Heli Mike
What the Heli is up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIR6hy3wyDU
Glad to here there wasn't any damage!

Happy New Year to all my fellow Drifters, I hope everyone got some new RC stuff for Christmas!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Are you that nose heavy? Mine glides rather well for having an FY41AP OSD and FPV gear with a 2200mAh 3S battery. Glad you had no damage. That was a forgiving bush that caught it.
I was gliding into a 20 kt headwind so not penetrating.
Old Jan 01, 2017, 12:23 AM
flying ninja!
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 TO ALL DRIFTER PILOT!!!
Sorry for all caps, that mean happiness, lol.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by stanordave
Don't know why I didn't do it before! Been using 2650 and 3000s in the Drifter but it never dawned on me that I have a bunch of 1500, 3s packs. Tried two in series and they fit great! Plane handled well. Should of used them long ago! Oh well, blaming it on getting old..
Old Jan 15, 2017, 06:38 AM
flying ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
Don't know why I didn't do it before! Been using 2650 and 3000s in the Drifter but it never dawned on me that I have a bunch of 1500, 3s packs. Tried two in series and they fit great! Plane handled well. Should of used them long ago! Oh well, blaming it on getting old..
Drifter can actually carry up to big 3s 3500mah lipo pack provided that the landing gear must be reinforced to support the weight and the wing must embedded extra carbon spar.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by thosmosis
"Champ'ion Newb"

Gone since Forever

Trying to get some of my original Drifter repaired. And ready for another flight after all this time!

Drifter Wax 311 (3 min 9 sec)