Sep 07, 2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe
Like you I'm glad Ican3d put his great vids up to catch our attention.It's the cockpit view you get in front of the scenery that looks so realistic hey!
I think those motors are not powerful enough especially since you obviously want it for fpv use. The one that I used which Aussie hoppie suggested in earlier posts has resulted in a perfect balance of size and power output-250w!!
See my youtube vid of my first few goes and you can hear the power as she steeply climbs then the purr as she coasts along.
Best of luck anyway, nice to hear of another in the UK for a change
i will look at the motor you have gone with, the turnigy one, and do you have a link to your video
carl
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit
i will look at the motor you have gone with, the turnigy one, and do you have a link to your video
carl
sorry I'm not able to post it but put nick twinn flying in youtube to see it.
Sep 07, 2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_a
Thanks for the all the tips.

Regarding the drifter handling strong winds, I actually did mount my ESC standing up against the motor frame pillar. Will look at shifting over my components for better streamlining as suggested.
Yes I did the same,figured it was in the slip stream of the cockpit if not the passenger seat. Oh well its staying for now
Sep 07, 2013, 05:29 PM
dde
dde
Quote:
sorry I'm not able to post it but put nick twinn flying in youtube to see it.
Just watched the video - nice - was it FPV or did you just do a recording of the flight while using LOS control?
Sep 07, 2013, 06:36 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dde
Just watched the video - nice - was it FPV or did you just do a recording of the flight while using LOS control?
I just watched your vid then too Dram, looks like she's flying great!
Sep 07, 2013, 09:16 PM
flying ninja!
nick twinn flying (2 min 39 sec)

Nice flying dram i like your flying location, btw your motor mounting looks solid i might follow your idea once i need to upgrade my motor on drifter

Quote:
hey guys, i am yet another drifter convert thanks to ican3d and his videos, i have a drifter ( kit not pnp ) on order from HK uk so i can add my own gear, i am thinking of using one of those little blue wonder motors http://www.giantshark.co.uk/search.a...nder&x=13&y=17 i will probably use the 1500kv and i have a few 1500 mAh lipos i can use, for my fpv i will try my 500mw 2.4ghz tx and cloverleaf, not sure if i will add my suppo osd just incase i am over weight with it all, but once i get the drifter i will weigh everything and see how it stacks up against everyone else
carl
Welcome doggit, im interested to see how much load a drifter can carry and battery performance on 500mw 2.4ghz vtx. What radio frequency are you going to use?
Sep 08, 2013, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dde
Hi DDE,yes it was just a LOS flight.
It was it's 3rd ever fly after sorting out the maiden flight's terrible handling problems.She's just a real pleasure now,All I need now is some good weather back so I can experiment with weight distribution and then try some fpv trips.
I carry an anemometer in my flight box which showed the wind at an average 10mph with gusts to 14 so I was surprised that it didn't seem to bother it!
It made for some real gentle almost vertical landings
My mate was flying a much larger Wot4 and speed wise I was keeping up no problem
Sep 08, 2013, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drc0D-T1ryU

Nice flying dram i like your flying location, btw your motor mounting looks solid i might follow your idea once i need to upgrade my motor on drifter

Welcome doggit, im interested to see how much load a drifter can carry and battery performance on 500mw 2.4ghz vtx. What radio frequency are you going to use?
Thanks drambuidhe for the video, you seem to have it dialed in really well, and also amazing scenery in the west of scotland,

ican3d i am not sure about power drain on a 500mw with a 1500mAh lipo, hopefully it wont be too drastic, and if it is too much i may look at going 5.8ghz and 200mw tx, as for my flying radio i can use 35mhz, and i also have the origional chainlink uhf 433mhz so will see the weight difference with both rx,

carl
Sep 08, 2013, 05:35 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Well, I have mine ready for LOS maiden, finished her tonight
I had an old eflite 30 amp esc so that is now soldered in place, I'll be running on 1300mah 3S on the stock motor, wish I had something a little bigger lying around, next step up is 2200mah but I'd prefer to keep it as light as possible, I'll maiden expecting her to be a little tail heavy, if I am close I reckon she'll balance out nicely later with addition of the cam & 450mah batt.
Given the stock prop is 7 x something on 2S, I thought I'd try the ever faithful 6x4 on 3S, figured the stock motor is designed for 2 cell so I'd drop down on prop size to step up on voltage, figure it might lessen the load on the stocker motor... expecting the smaller prop to reduce performance... wrong! I did some test taxiing in my small back yard, holy poopers, batman! I actually managed an airbourne hop in 10 feet! She's a veritable ultralight rocket lol
Apart from esc & prop, she's basically stock.
I'll maiden this week sometime and if all goes well LOS, I'll then throw on some camera gear.
Thinking I'll keep it all light, I am not intending on breaking any range records heh heh so probably just 5.8/200mw. I used to manage 4 or 5 ten minute flights on a small & light 450mah lipo in my olde Parkzone P47), so I'll probably do the same again. Being a pusher prop I have an old Fatshark CCD killer CMOS cam, might try to make a small lightweight pan n tilt, I'll see how excited I get
Sep 08, 2013, 07:48 AM
flying ninja!
Quote:
Thanks drambuidhe for the video, you seem to have it dialed in really well, and also amazing scenery in the west of scotland,

ican3d i am not sure about power drain on a 500mw with a 1500mAh lipo, hopefully it wont be too drastic, and if it is too much i may look at going 5.8ghz and 200mw tx, as for my flying radio i can use 35mhz, and i also have the origional chainlink uhf 433mhz so will see the weight difference with both rx,

carl
How far can the chainlink can go on stock? Thinking putting RCMILEC.
Sep 08, 2013, 07:52 AM
flying ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
Well, I have mine ready for LOS maiden, finished her tonight
I had an old eflite 30 amp esc so that is now soldered in place, I'll be running on 1300mah 3S on the stock motor, wish I had something a little bigger lying around, next step up is 2200mah but I'd prefer to keep it as light as possible, I'll maiden expecting her to be a little tail heavy, if I am close I reckon she'll balance out nicely later with addition of the cam & 450mah batt.
Given the stock prop is 7 x something on 2S, I thought I'd try the ever faithful 6x4 on 3S, figured the stock motor is designed for 2 cell so I'd drop down on prop size to step up on voltage, figure it might lessen the load on the stocker motor... expecting the smaller prop to reduce performance... wrong! I did some test taxiing in my small back yard, holy poopers, batman! I actually managed an airbourne hop in 10 feet! She's a veritable ultralight rocket lol
Apart from esc & prop, she's basically stock.
I'll maiden this week sometime and if all goes well LOS, I'll then throw on some camera gear.
Thinking I'll keep it all light, I am not intending on breaking any range records heh heh so probably just 5.8/200mw. I used to manage 4 or 5 ten minute flights on a small & light 450mah lipo in my olde Parkzone P47), so I'll probably do the same again. Being a pusher prop I have an old Fatshark CCD killer CMOS cam, might try to make a small lightweight pan n tilt, I'll see how excited I get
I'm not sure if its a good idea to put your radio rx beside motor and esc, its known to cut your radio range short, and dual diversity radio rx antenna suppose to be "V" configuration. I did put horizontal but i didn't get a good range previously.
Sep 08, 2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
How far can the chainlink can go on stock? Thinking putting RCMILEC.
i believe it was quoted at around 25 -30 kilometers or 18 miles stock, alishanmao did a lot of reviews,
carl

How to setup ChainLink 30Km UHF System (4 min 43 sec)
Sep 08, 2013, 02:16 PM
Oh POOP!! Old Tommy Tosser decided to bail out carrying my camera on his arm and dived right through the windscreen!!
Sep 08, 2013, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Oh POOP!! Old Tommy Tosser decided to bail out carrying my camera on his arm and dived right through the windscreen!!
Lol

How did this happen?

I want to go back out and fly mine but winds here are still strong. Maybe I could add some ballast and see if I can manage flying her better in these conditions.
Sep 08, 2013, 06:18 PM
flying ninja!
Quote:
Hahaha, sorry but i can help myself looking at the pilot as if it really looks like have been brutally thrown off into the windshield. You should include your hand thumbs up and post your photo at hobby king to win weekly prices. Btw this is first time i see a drifter totalled that bad.

Btw you can get a complete spare parts for this plane here: http://www.mymegastation.com.my/category-35575.html