Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 06, 2015, 12:04 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntripps
I answered my own question maidening my new Drifter. With a Turnigy 2S 1800 mah 20C battery and 2 AA cells secured in the front canopy it balanced at the front wing struts. I had to use a lot of up elevator trim to make it fly level. I removed the ballast and it balanced just behind the 2 front wing struts. Perfect! It flew level with hardly an nose-up elevator trim.

With 2S it was not a robust flyer at all, I had to run it at 60%-70% throttle to stay level or gain altitude flying into a breeze. It flew gently and was a real pleasure. Landing was at an amazing walking pace and all landings were at my feet in the grass.

I had to hand launch, it would not take off on the ball field dirt runway. I am sure pavement would be OK but I will replace the wheels with something light and larger, probably 3".

The motor was just warm and the stock ESC was cool after two 10 minute flights. Batteries were at 3.75V with throttle at 30% when I was done.

I will replace the stock ESC and try 3S but probably no more than 1500 or 1800mah. The 2200 mah battery balances at the front wing struts but it seemed front heavy for me. Maybe with the FPV gear and everything else loaded the 2200mah battery is perfect?

Even with 2S the Drifter is a real pleasant park flyer. I may leave this one as is and convert my second Drifter to a better ESC/motor combination and eliminate that plastic mount altogether. It would be better suited for long range FPV.
The problem that I had with 2S was having to add all that weight in the nose to get it balanced... Once I upgraded the ESC and went to 3S 1800 -- it was balanced... Though I have no fpv gear in my drifter... So, if you were going to add that too, then could be heavier than my set up... Though with a pilot figure at least twice the weight of the original pilot. Plus a Mobius and 808 #16 camera with extension cables on board, I could be nearing the weight of an FPV ship.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2015, 01:32 PM
Radio-Actif
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis
The problem that I had with 2S was having to add all that weight in the nose to get it balanced... Once I upgraded the ESC and went to 3S 1800 -- it was balanced... Though I have no fpv gear in my drifter... So, if you were going to add that too, then could be heavier than my set up... Though with a pilot figure at least twice the weight of the original pilot. Plus a Mobius and 808 #16 camera with extension cables on board, I could be nearing the weight of an FPV ship.
Adding a small 5.8GHz VTX and clover leaf antenna to your Drifter won't be much weight at all, just feed the output of the Mobius to the VTX and you really save some weight. I do this with my other flyer it and it works great.

I did the ESC upgrade after testing the stock ESC last night. Even though my stock ESC claims 30A it and the motor got hot with 1 minute 30% throttle on 3S. The new HK 30A ESC runs warm on the same test, the motor a little hot. I will try a 6x4 propeller also, it may run a little cooler.

I plan to run light FPV gear, nothing too long range, trying to stick to 1800mah 3S at most.

I don't trust the zip tie and next I will use the small hose clamp to reinforce the mount.

I like the way the Drifter flies, just my speed, and landing is a charm! It's something my old eyes can keep up with!

Andy
Last edited by capntripps; Sep 06, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
Sep 06, 2015, 07:25 PM
flying ninja!
A noob came to our flying field with his over powered video transmitter...the result it kill everyone including mine.....

Dived into ocean while my video goggle just saw green grasses and a sandal...damn noobies!

R.I.P. #1

Last edited by ican3d; Sep 06, 2015 at 07:36 PM.
Sep 06, 2015, 08:26 PM
Radio-Actif
Quote:
Would you post a photo of the hose clamp mount, I'm trying to figure the best way to mount mine with minimal damage to the frame.

Thanks.
Sep 06, 2015, 09:50 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
A noob came to our flying field with his over powered video transmitter...the result it kill everyone including mine.....

Dived into ocean while my video goggle just saw green grasses and a sandal...damn noobies!

R.I.P. #1

Its not nice when that happens but hopefully you have a spare Drifter or two, still?
Sep 06, 2015, 10:09 PM
What the Heli is up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d

R.I.P. #1

What was he using to overpower everyone? I've flown with others and haven't had fhat problem, as long as we're on separate channels. Unfortunately most people have the misinformed idea that higher wattage is better when there is so much more to consider such as antenna selection and placement.
Sep 07, 2015, 01:26 AM
flying ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
Its not nice when that happens but hopefully you have a spare Drifter or two, still?
Yup i still have extra two both are complete FPV spec but the first one was most beloved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mike
What was he using to overpower everyone? I've flown with others and haven't had fhat problem, as long as we're on separate channels. Unfortunately most people have the misinformed idea that higher wattage is better when there is so much more to consider such as antenna selection and placement.

Nope, the newbies did not follow the rules. Out of the box and just fly it without checking the video frequency around, plus the video transmission wattage (mw) was huge it took the whole field. 3 FPV guys including me was knock off from our own video transmission. The newbs doesn't understand what channel is. Never let non-rc people fly an FPV quadcopter.

Btw reconstruction is on the way to revive Drifter #1, spare parts already purchased are on the way in few days. But i have to let it dry for at least two weeks under the hot sun and clean all those rusts. The Drifter will be rebuild with new looks. I called it version 6.
Sep 07, 2015, 04:50 AM
A mate of mine had a big 6 feet plus span yellow cub so was easy to chase that around this afternoon even though there was a bit of drizzle to start with. A few more touch and gos too.

Chasing a 6 foot span Cub (3 min 26 sec)
Sep 07, 2015, 09:06 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Adding a small 5.8GHz VTX and clover leaf antenna to your Drifter won't be much weight at all, just feed the output of the Mobius to the VTX and you really save some weight. I do this with my other flyer it and it works great.

I did the ESC upgrade after testing the stock ESC last night. Even though my stock ESC claims 30A it and the motor got hot with 1 minute 30% throttle on 3S. The new HK 30A ESC runs warm on the same test, the motor a little hot. I will try a 6x4 propeller also, it may run a little cooler.

I plan to run light FPV gear, nothing too long range, trying to stick to 1800mah 3S at most.

I don't trust the zip tie and next I will use the small hose clamp to reinforce the mount.

I like the way the Drifter flies, just my speed, and landing is a charm! It's something my old eyes can keep up with!

Andy
Sounds great Andy. I did have an issue with the stock motor heating up on 3S with the upgraded ESC, with any real throttle above 3/4. It got so hot that the post going into the mount melted the plastic receiver... Then the motor weight made the motor droop down... Causing the prop to strike the tail boom and the control rods!! Was a real mess!
Sep 07, 2015, 09:21 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Would you post a photo of the hose clamp mount, I'm trying to figure the best way to mount mine with minimal damage to the frame.

Thanks.
Here's my hose clamp. There is no longer a set screw... But you can see that the Drifter has been through several world wars, with the control line guides completely sheered off as well. Lol!
Sep 07, 2015, 10:19 AM
Radio-Actif
Quote:
Here's my hose clamp. There is no longer a set screw... But you can see that the Drifter has been through several world wars, with the control line guides completely sheered off as well. Lol!
Perfect, thanks for that pic!. Since my set screw is still there I'll drill through the band to make room for it. If my mount was already damaged I would just cut a slit through it and use the clamp to tighten.

So far at 50-60% throttle on 1300 mah 3S with 10 minute flying the motor was warm but not hot and the ESC was cool, but my Drifter isn't carrying anything yet. FPV and FC are next.
Sep 07, 2015, 11:23 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Quote:
Perfect, thanks for that pic!. Since my set screw is still there I'll drill through the band to make room for it. If my mount was already damaged I would just cut a slit through it and use the clamp to tighten.

So far at 50-60% throttle on 1300 mah 3S with 10 minute flying the motor was warm but not hot and the ESC was cool, but my Drifter isn't carrying anything yet. FPV and FC are next.
I would have thought that the Drifter would still be tail heavy with a 3S 1300.
Sep 07, 2015, 11:54 AM
Radio-Actif
Quote:
I would have thought that the Drifter would still be tail heavy with a 3S 1300.
I thought the same thing. The 1300 3S is secured as far forward as possible. The CG balanced out just behind the front wing strut mounts, about 62mm from the leading edge.

First flight I tried using the front struts as the balance point, battery full forward with additional ballast weight, and the plane was nose heavy, needed quite a bit of elevator trim to get the nose up, and was a little unstable. I removed the ballast and then the plane flew great with little nose up elevator trim. I had to secure my 1800mah 3S battery up to the front seat edge to get the same balance point, and 2200mah 3S makes it nose heavy.

I do like my planes a little floaty, maybe explains why the CG difference?

I haven't loaded the FPV or FC gear yet, that's next and we'll see what the CG does.

BTW, I can't seem to find any hidden nose weight either. I shined a bright light through the canapy at every angle and could not see any shadows indicating a weight.
Last edited by capntripps; Sep 07, 2015 at 02:46 PM.
Sep 07, 2015, 06:25 PM
It makes me wonder if there are different makes of drifters. My cog is the normal rule of 1/3 of the wing width from leading edge and it flies spot on.
When I first got it I took advice from this thread and set up my cog at front mounting screw and sure it flew but it was nose heavy and I hated it. In calm conditions and straight flight it was ok but in turns and take offs and landings it was nasty. Adjusted cog to the golden rule for non swept back wings and it felt just right.
Like I said can't help but wonder
Sep 07, 2015, 07:21 PM
The Drifter flies with a wide range of CG as flies like a Trainer. I fly at roughly 55-60mm back from leading edge or if I flip it upside down, its balanced on the rear spar screws where they screw into the fuselage. Seeing video of mine flying, it does fly tail down but Im happy with the way it flies.