Jan 22, 2020, 08:21 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
I used the same paint on my A-10 also.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2020, 08:25 PM
If you reach around back and grab those cans, or tell the attendant you want them they are happy to make the sale at the store. By warming the cans, it increases the internal pressure and you don't have to hold it so close . Plus it flows better and sets up quicker...its win win.
Jan 23, 2020, 03:08 PM
It's all about scale models!
Just found this link on the ww2aircraft.net forum -- the recently restored original ME-262 (Paul Allen collection) doing a run-up of the JUMO jet engines and a brief taxi test. They'd hoped to make a flight by the end of 2019, but evidently not. No idea if it was weather or mechanical issues.

Note that RCGroups won't let me type the actual website address f---b--k -- so replace "FB" with what you know goes there.

https://www.fb.com/flyingheritage/vi...2086125580004/
Jan 24, 2020, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic liner
So many great replies. A treasure trove of valuable information !

Fresh paint makes all the difference. The older paint seems to coagulate and cause issues.
The red me-262 plane must look great in the air especially on a bright day.
Jan 24, 2020, 09:49 PM
It does indeed. I will try and get some pics.
We have to bike the planes in right now so not many pilots go out.
Jan 24, 2020, 09:53 PM
Ship it ! (1 min 30 sec)
Jan 24, 2020, 09:55 PM
At least its moving...lol

January 20, 2020 (0 min 58 sec)
Jan 24, 2020, 09:59 PM
Planeing around...

Run up after paint. (1 min 28 sec)
Jan 24, 2020, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmoothie
I have to remove large wings in order to fit models this large in my car. Those Phillips head screws would definitely be a problem with repeated assembly/disassembly. I threaded the existing plastic mounting studs to use M4 hex head metric bolts and this has worked great. It's much easier to assemble models using hex screwdrivers and to be able to feel when things are "tight enough" (compared to a Phillips head screw). I've made this easy modification to two ME-262's.

The related thing I do is to epoxy a couple of magnets to the inside of the battery hatch, and put the M4 bolts there when removed from the fuselage.
Good idea Mr. Smoothie, I will go that route. I was looking at the supports yesterday and it is not so easy to install a blind nut or lock nut with washer on the upper side of the supports. There is foam to contend with and really not much access room. I had been thinking of removing foam and gluing in a small hardwood block with a pre-tapped threaded hole, but your method will be much easier.

If you have a moment, what length are the M4 socket bolts you are using to mount the wing? Same for front and back? Thank you.

Now to reinforce that front end and get it ready for spring.
Last edited by Creative RC; Jan 26, 2020 at 01:34 AM.
Jan 24, 2020, 10:41 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
any flight vid ?
Jan 25, 2020, 05:37 AM
Not of mine. We have to bike in our planes due to the entry bridge being washed out for the last 3 years. They are making a new road this year so more people will come. Just no camera person at this time.
Jan 26, 2020, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Just found this link on the ww2aircraft.net forum -- the recently restored original ME-262 (Paul Allen collection) doing a run-up of the JUMO jet engines and a brief taxi test. They'd hoped to make a flight by the end of 2019, but evidently not. No idea if it was weather or mechanical issues.

Note that RCGroups won't let me type the actual website address f---b--k -- so replace "FB" with what you know goes there.

https://www.fb.com/flyingheritage/vi...2086125580004/
Thanks for this information. There is also an interesting video at that site about the jumo jet engines in which described is the replacement of the original heat sensitive metal components with modern heat resistant alloys, thereby making the engines safe. The first flight, after all these years, will be interesting to watch.
Jan 26, 2020, 01:37 PM
It's all about scale models!
Those of you who changed out to the nicer (heavier) Stinger 90 main gear struts: did you notice that the spring is more forgiving? I went ahead and got the Stinger main wheels as well for the larger axle -- they have metal hubs -- otherwise identical. Nice improvement.

Over on the Venom thread, there has been much talk about the main springs being too stiff -- they just "load up" on landing and cause bounces. Same struts as the ME-262. I occasionally had the issue with the 262, usually if I wasn't level on landing and one main touched down before the other.

Two flights today with the new and improved setup and two of my better landings. These Stinger 90 struts are out of stock at MRC. I'm kind of surprised they haven't used them on any other models -- have they?
Jan 26, 2020, 01:57 PM
I changed mine to Trailing links like on the F-5 or Super Scorpion for better shock absorption.. Straight fit except for a little foam trimming around the knuckle.. Served me well for over 200 flts so far..
Jan 26, 2020, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Those of you who changed out to the nicer (heavier) Stinger 90 main gear struts: did you notice that the spring is more forgiving? I went ahead and got the Stinger main wheels as well for the larger axle -- they have metal hubs -- otherwise identical. Nice improvement
I purchased the Stinger gear as well, but not yet installed, and also noticed when comparing today this gear has a noticeably softer resistance. I wondered whether that was going to be an issue, but your good landings confirm what I had hoped for.
Last edited by Creative RC; Jan 26, 2020 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply