Dec 20, 2012, 01:03 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobby King big stick

Just recieved today ,parts quality good, a few tags need cutting that the laser missed but no problems, should make up into a nice lightweight . https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29648
Last edited by olmod; Dec 20, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2012, 05:47 AM
Looks like fun... Nice to see some one else uses 123 blocks.... I use them every chance I get... Wish I could afford some more...
Dec 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
A nail board or small file is handy to clear notches, you must check each piece against the parts pix and label them ,some are a bit obscure,once I got into the wing ribs I found plenty of cuts to be made, good quality wood tho'.
Dec 21, 2012, 08:45 PM
I am a sucker for some kits to go on the shelf for a rainy day, and the price is right for these. Bought 3 -should be enough parts to keep two flying for many years.

As the grandkids get interested in flying models, they are great to give em and show em how to build and fly.
Dec 22, 2012, 12:03 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
There are a couple of puzling things with this kit .like you build the wing panels but there does not seem to be any provision for joining the 2 halves together ie joiners ect. so I have improvised a plywood brace for the main spar .
Dec 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
Wouldn't be a hk kit if you didn't have to work it out for yourself. Usually the 'plans' are close but not quite right for the bits.
The ministik kit was an exercise in establishing the best way to build it using the plans as a guide only. Doubt it was even for the same plane!
Dec 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
Must admit I have had my share of adventure builds up to the stage of how the @%$#t do the allerons go together
Dec 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
What is the setup you plan to use? Motor, Esc, Prop, Battery?
Dec 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
For the power plant I will wait until I have a near complete airframe and check out then but I am not going to use no 7x5 prop as suggested on the plan , probably 9x6.
The top cap of the wing I used the narrower of the 2 size sheets and cut some 12mm strips of the wider sheets for top and bottom caps on the trailing edge, allerons built up as I have pictured, I bought some ultra light 2mm pin hinges from HK to use with this kit and find them good to use.
Last edited by olmod; Dec 28, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Dec 25, 2012, 06:47 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
Some more pix of the progress, I ended up using 1mm sheet for covering the fuselage ,I did not fancy the open structure if it was warren girder that would have been fine.imho. non of the control horns had the right size holes for the size wire supplied , yer I know par for the course.
Dec 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP

Ready for maiden.

All up weight using a 1550 mah pack just under 700grams. I dont think a 2200mah pack would fit btw.
I have used an old HET Typhoon 15/10 -1190kv motor fitted a APCe 9x6to start with but this motor can run to 10" with a 30amp esc under the battery floor I also opened up the lower holes in the firwall to gain cooling and access, I would not recomend this as a beginners kit but if undertaken it will be character building. oops I have forgotten to put some exhaust holes behind the esc in the floor that could have cut the maiden short.
Hope this thread is helpfull in some way cheers Lez. and seasons greeting to all.
Last edited by olmod; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Dec 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
Weather is not good so here is a pix showing cg @3 1/4" for a 9 1/4" chord and the amount of downthrust I have used . btw am I the only one building this? not much input from others.
Dec 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP

maiden completed

I would suggest lowering the battery floor as low as possible ,that way you will be able to fit 2200 mah packs.the old 1560mah packs that I used were not the best I would also suggest this motor for a more spirited performance
HK NTM 2826-1350kv.
Performance was good requiring quite a bit of downtrim,that will change as the 2200mah pack will move the cg further forward wich it needs.
Dec 29, 2012, 12:27 AM
Hi Olmod,

How would you rate this kit in terms of quality, ease of build, flying ability, and value? I'm laying in a stock of kits for retirement and am wondering if this one is worth a buy.

Thanks, Mickydee
Dec 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi Olmod,

How would you rate this kit in terms of quality, ease of build, flying ability, and value? I'm laying in a stock of kits for retirement and am wondering if this one is worth a buy.

Thanks, Mickydee
If you are prepared to replace spars with full length ones ,the kits are 1/2 length and take the time to mark all the parts so you can work out where they go ,then there is value in the kit, the materials are ok its the instructions that will confuse novice builders. I would give it a 6 out of ten.
Last edited by olmod; Dec 29, 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply