Jun 07, 2020, 05:49 PM

Nano in wing

Hi Jim, firstly I hope you are all well on the other side of the Atlantic. I am fine but we have quite a strict lockdown here.
OK I'm busy with the complete refurbishment of my Yak 112. I used to fly it on 35mhz. Now I'm installing a X24 and a RFU in the cabin area. I also want to mount a nano in the one wingtip.
Now is it OK to run the wires from the nano with the servo wires to the X24 or must there be separation between the wires. I'm using powerbox twisted wires throughout. The wing is hollow moulded fiber glass construction. It has only two servo hatches for access.

Many thanks in advance.

Stay safe

Charlie
Last edited by JimDrew; Jun 07, 2020 at 09:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2020, 09:59 PM
Thread OP
It is recommended that you always use twisted wires (like our SuperTwist wire) for connecting receivers to the X10+ and X24.
Jun 08, 2020, 03:08 AM
Thanks for your reply Jim, but can I run the NANO output cable with the servo wires or can it cause interference? All the wires are twisted.

Thanks.

Charlie
Jun 08, 2020, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
As long as the wires going to the Nano are twisted you can run them with servo wires.
Jun 08, 2020, 02:05 PM
Thanks Jim that makes my life a lot easier.👍
Jun 08, 2020, 04:37 PM
Thread OP
Just make sure the Nano is eventually away from the group of wires, like in the wing tip like you described.
Jul 11, 2020, 06:38 AM
Build more, websurf less

XPS-J1 module in Taranis

Here is the XPS-J1 transmitter module installed in the external RF bay of a Taranis transmitter.

I've seen folks keep one antenna for the internal RF output and another antenna for the external RF output. Instead of having two antennas sticking out I just use the XPS 2.4GHz antenna on the XPS-J1 and put a dummy load on the internal RF output for protection.

When I switch to the internal RF capability I swap the XPS antenna to the internal RF output and put the dummy load on the XPS-J1. I do not switch very often so I do not think I will be placing too much stress on the antenna or connectors from repeated re-connections.

The setup works well and the hardest part is reproducing 30 years of airplane setups in OpenTX.
Jul 11, 2020, 08:04 AM
Nothing in this world is free
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Here is the XPS-J1 transmitter module installed in the external RF bay of a Taranis transmitter.

I've seen folks keep one antenna for the internal RF output and another antenna for the external RF output. Instead of having two antennas sticking out I just use the XPS 2.4GHz antenna on the XPS-J1 and put a dummy load on the internal RF output for protection.

When I switch to the internal RF capability I swap the XPS antenna to the internal RF output and put the dummy load on the XPS-J1. I do not switch very often so I do not think I will be placing too much stress on the antenna or connectors from repeated re-connections.

The setup works well and the hardest part is reproducing 30 years of airplane setups in OpenTX.

I have the Jumper T-16 and have both antennas on the TX. What are you using for the "dummy load" and where did you get it?
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Jul 11, 2020, 08:37 AM
Build more, websurf less
I'm pretty sure it was this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jul 11, 2020, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
I'm pretty sure it was this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ok. thanks.....
Jul 13, 2020, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
You don’t need a dummy load for our modules.
Jul 13, 2020, 03:19 PM
Build more, websurf less
That's good to know.

(I got into the habit from using less sophisticated radio designs )
Jul 13, 2020, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
You don’t need a dummy load for our modules.
That is good to know. If I was to get one, I would have only used it on the internal module on the Jumper T-16. I only have 1 plane that uses that module. All the rest, about 15, planes are on the XPS module that use to be in my JR 9303.
Sep 12, 2020, 02:21 PM
Build more, websurf less
Jim,

I have older-style XPS-F1 module running firmware version 3.8 in my Futaba transmitter.

If I remove the screw-on antenna, does the RF transmission revert to the nub antenna?

Thanks,

Paul
Sep 13, 2020, 01:44 AM
Thread OP
No. The only antenna is the one you screw into it. That nub just protects the antenna connector.

Quick Reply