Post pictures of your installation here! - Page 9 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 23, 2017, 08:07 PM
That's a great way to mount it! I have done the same thing in the past and it works perfectly.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2017, 05:25 AM
Thanks Jim, I'm sure it will work just fine. The first RX I ever got on 2.4 was your 10 channel and it's been in my Midwest Extra with a zdz 40 close to 10 years now and absolutely no issues. The rx is mounted just in front of the canopy with the aerial just below the front deck. About a month ago I fitted a new and larger 8Amp regulator with two inputs to the rx. Did this because on testing the power to the rx on the bench I was getting some low voltage indicated on my voltage meter. Not on the RX. No more with the larger regulator.
When the first spektrum systems started showing up at the flying field and many had issues with binding /brown outs/ crashing I was very sceptical of 2.4. At the time I was flying with Jr PCM on 35MHZ. ( 35MHZ is our legal frequency in South Africa in the past we had 60,53&54MHZ) many years ago at one of our National power championships Don Lowe flew his phoenix 8 here on 72MHZ without a problem but it was illegal.( some of the best rolls I've ever seen)
Well I was sceptical of 2.4 so was looking for a more reliable system on 2.4 and found out about your XPS systems and decided to give it a try. First I tested the 10 channel in my hanger nine ultra stick 60. I flew that stick as high and as far as I could see then flew it as low and far as I could and it was very far and very low. Never got any loss of control at all and I was very impressed. Now I only use XPS! I have many planes on the XPS systems and it's the only 2.4 system I use. I still have some slope gliders on 35MHZ and my 41year old Antic bipe.
Thanks to you I can now fly on 2.4 with confidence!
I hope you and Shelly have a wonderful Christmas and new year.
Regards
Charlie
Dec 24, 2017, 11:08 AM
Thanks for being a long time customer! I hope you have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dec 26, 2017, 12:01 PM
Here is the RX before disappearing in the turtle deck!
Dec 27, 2017, 12:03 AM
I would fold the servo leads over as close to the edge of the receiver as possible. Having them up as high as the tip of the antenna will be a problem because they can move (wiggle) due to vibration.
Dec 27, 2017, 01:38 AM
Thanks Jim I'll do that.
Apr 23, 2018, 01:12 PM

RFU installation

Hi Jim, this is how I intend to install the RFU in my Mytho S 125E. Is it OK to mount it like this.

Many thanks

Charlie
Apr 23, 2018, 01:14 PM
I will be making sure that servo wires to the rudder and elevators are well away from the RFU aerials.
Apr 24, 2018, 03:09 PM
That's a nice setup, but I would not recommend it mounted that way. You are placing the antenna dead center of the aircraft. The advantage of the RFU is the fact you can place the antennas as far away from the center of the aircraft as possible.

You would be better off taping the antenna along the outer edge of a former. Can you post a picture of your aircraft from a distance, so we can see the entire fuselage?
Apr 24, 2018, 03:53 PM
Fuselage
Apr 24, 2018, 04:05 PM
Some more pictures. I have the RFU in approximately in the same location in my 40cc Extra and it works perfectly.
Apr 24, 2018, 04:28 PM
If you’ve had success with that setup then why not go ahead with it so long as you get good results during a range check ????

On the other hand , you asked Jim for his opinion and he gave it ......so why ignore it ??
Apr 24, 2018, 04:46 PM
Absolutely Juan, I've been using xps systems for many years with great success and would like it to stay that way.
I can mount the RFU in the centre of the fuselage on the cross and tape one aerial on the inside of the R/H side facing forward and the other on the left facing up under the canaliser.
I don't like having an aerial facing down. Does not matter while flying but not good for takeoff and landing.

Charlie
Apr 24, 2018, 06:50 PM
If that were my plane, I would put the RFU in the tail, with one antenna lead running parallel to the fuse going forwards from the base of the vertical (red line), and the other antenna up inside of the vertical stab itself (green line). That is the most ideal location for the RFU in your aircraft. 99% of all of my aircraft are installed this way with a Nano or RFU.

You always want the antenna (which is the 1.1" white tip) as high as possible off the ground and unobstructed from the front of the aircraft. 2.4GHz is greatly affected by the earth, so placing the antenna on the bottom of the aircraft (while better for overall range) is not recommended due to the fact that you need control for landings. The direction the antenna faces (up, down, left, right) makes no difference.

If you can't put the RFU in the tail (due to physical placement restrictions - like you can reach the location), you can try the alternate location I would recommend in the 2nd picture, with the antenna inside of the frame.
Last edited by JimDrew; Apr 24, 2018 at 06:58 PM.
Apr 24, 2018, 07:06 PM
Thanks Jim, it will not be possible to get the RFU in the fin as you suggest but the second location will be easy to install so will do that. I'll post a picture when it's in place.
Many thanks.

Quick Reply