Oct 25, 2015, 08:23 AM
Build more, websurf less
Chrisftestpilot,

Looking good. As seen in the picture below it might be a little better if you were to angle the ends of the RFU antennae (blue lines added) away from the ESCs and wiring that are directly underneath.

Of course a range check will reveal how it performs.

Best luck,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Oct 25, 2015 at 03:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2015, 04:31 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
It range checked fine, didnt fly very far away as i am still trying to make sure I have this thing setup properly but is working good so far. You cant tell from the angle of the pic but there is quite a bit of separation between the antenna and the ESCs.
Oct 26, 2015, 08:20 AM
Build more, websurf less
Ok sounds like you are good. Range check through 360 degrees is crucial. I had a crash earlier this year that I believe may have been partially caused by poor receiver placement on the craft. I mounted the Nano Rx near some wires, the fpv camera and a 11-volt lipo for the fpv equipment. At most angles the Nano antenna had a clear shot to receive signals from my controlling Tx, however; at some angles it was blocked. I also learned not to have a failsafe condition disarm the motors.
Oct 27, 2015, 09:12 PM
Just got my RFU and 10X and was wondering the best way to install this set up in a thin (carbon friendly) F3B sailplane and setting up the antennas. Is it ok if they are only about 2" apart and not 90 deg to each other
Oct 27, 2015, 10:44 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Having them close isnt necessarily an issue as long as its not like a full carbon layup, but if you fly at altitude or over long distances you really need to have some angle between them. Even if not 90 some is better than none. When in doubt range test, from all angles. If in doubt still, change something and check it again.
Nov 02, 2015, 02:25 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Here is my Dietrich Edge 540 with a RCGF 56cc engine, X10+ expander, and dual Nano receivers. This was setup as a test bed to begin real world testing of a new product.
Nov 02, 2015, 04:39 PM
Build more, websurf less
Nice neat wiring. Where are the two Nanos located? How are they oriented relative to the airframe?
Nov 02, 2015, 06:35 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
One Nano is about one foot behind the turtle deck, with the antenna wires parallel to the fuse. The other Nano is located about 1 inch behind the main firewall (where the engine box connects) with the antenna wires perpendicular to the fuse.
Nov 02, 2015, 08:40 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
That is a neat wiring job, makes me feel ashamed for not spending more time on some of mine lol. And I will bite, what real world product
Nov 02, 2015, 08:54 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
I am not releasing any info yet.
Nov 02, 2015, 09:14 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Haha yeah I knew that, I had to ask though
Nov 03, 2015, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
Haha yeah I knew that, I had to ask though
Yeah, he doesn't want to make the same mistake he made 5 yrs ago..... or is that 6 now ??????
Nov 03, 2015, 09:58 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
There won't be any pictures put in the AMA magazine until it's ready, that is for sure. That was the only mistake that was made.
Last edited by JimDrew; Nov 04, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
Nov 03, 2015, 12:33 PM
Build more, websurf less
Regarding Nano installation: Your positioning likely gives the best overall reception from all angles - nice. I suppose you already know that since you designed the things!
Last edited by FlyingW; Nov 03, 2015 at 07:00 PM.
Nov 03, 2015, 08:26 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Yeah, I have a little bit of experience with these things.