Post pictures of your installation here! - Page 2 - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2015, 01:20 PM
CRS and CDS Certified

Help with a Nano Install

I am looking for some advice on installing a Nano in this plane. It is an AK Simple Flier. The fuse is round and narrow.

The plane will have 2 servos for the ailerons and 2 for the flaps. 1 for the throttle, rudder and elevator. I am going to mount an X+10 in the wing for the aileron and flap servos with an extension going to the Nano in the fuse.

The compartment in the fuse with the 3 servos are in is tight and I do not think really not enough separation between the Nano and servos to prevent interference. The pushrods for the rudder and elevator will be metal pushrods. I maybe able to change them to nyrods but I am not crazy about that because of the length from the servos to the tail. I do not think I can mount the RX behind the bulkhead for the wing bolts as they would be too close to the pushrods. The only place far enough away back there would be on the bottom of the fuse I thought that was a no-no.

The only place left is in the front compartment where the fuel tank and A123 battery goes. The receiver would be mounted to the bulk head the wing dowel goes through with the antenna wires towards the top of the fuse. The distance is just about 2 inches from the end of the battery to the Nano. The throttle and nose gear linkages are nyrods.

My questions are. Is the battery a problem with interference at all for the Nano like wires and pushrods are? If so, is the 2 inches or slightly less enough of a distance between the battery and Nano far enough away from each other? The throttle servo is on the other side of that bulkhead. Will that be a problem?

I know I have to do a range check to verify everything. That is not a problem as I always do a range check before the first flight of the day anyway. Even if I flew the plane the day before I still do a range check. The range check is part of my normal routine.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks....
Bill
Last edited by thebluemax; Aug 27, 2015 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2015, 06:16 PM
I would put the receiver upright, against the right side of the canopy so the antenna wires are parallel to the fuse.
Aug 09, 2015, 12:18 AM
CRS and CDS Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
I would put the receiver upright, against the right side of the canopy so the antenna wires are parallel to the fuse.
Thanks Jim for the quick reply but there is not enough space between the bottom of the servos and the top of the canopy. Plus the width of the canopy is only about an inch and is not wide enough to keep the wires on the Nano spread out correctly.

What I am working on now is putting the X+10 in the wing for the aileron and flap servos and use a multi-wire harness to connect the X+10 to the servos in the fuse along with the Nano.
I changed the rudder and elevator pushrods to nyrods and will mount the Nano in the fuse behind the wing bolts as there is a little platform there for the Nano to sit on. The battery is in the fuel compartment and will run to the Nano. So the only wires on the Nano is for the battery and the X+10.

Hopefully this set up will work.
Aug 09, 2015, 01:04 AM
You could put the Nano inside the wing, at the tip. I have done this is several installations.
Aug 09, 2015, 08:11 AM
Build more, websurf less
In a similar installation I placed the nano about half-way back in the fuse between the wing bolts and the tail. Maybe you can develop an access hatch. The way you described in placing it behind that bulkhead sounds good. The higher off the ground the better. I saw pictures where a builder bent selected pins on the nano to make it fit in a tight spot better.
Aug 09, 2015, 12:48 PM
CRS and CDS Certified
thanks guys for the ideas. I will give it a shot....
Aug 09, 2015, 03:30 PM
A range test will tell you everything. I have seen installations where guys have just wound the servo wires around the receiver and through it in the fuselage... one was a turbine setup too. I saw it and freak out. The guy had over 250 flights that way and refused to change it. Range test passed fine.
Aug 22, 2015, 11:06 PM
CRS and CDS Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
A range test will tell you everything. I have seen installations where guys have just wound the servo wires around the receiver and through it in the fuselage... one was a turbine setup too. I saw it and freak out. The guy had over 250 flights that way and refused to change it. Range test passed fine.
Thanks Jim.
Took a while longer than expected but I finally finished up the installation. Hopefully this is okay.

I ended up putting the X+10 and battery in the wing. I have a 4 wire harness from the X+10 to connect to the wiring harness in the fuse for the other 3 servos and to connect to the Nano. I had to add an additional wire from the X+10 in the wing to the nose gear servo in the fuse as I could not get the rudders and nose gear to turn in the same direction using the V-tail mix without that additional servo.

The Nano went in the fuel tank compartment behind the fuel tank. The Nano antenna wires are at the top of the fuse. There is no metal near the antenna wires. The closest piece of metal is the clunk in the fuel tank and that should only be near the wires when the plane is flying inverted which should not be much if any at all.

Range check will be done soon to double check. Thanks again to everyone for their help..
Last edited by thebluemax; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: added finished pictures
Sep 20, 2015, 12:18 PM
Build more, websurf less
Jim,

Can you please comment on both proposed RFU antenna placement alternatives on the Four Star 120 cockpit? Is there any advantage one way or another?

Thanks,

Paul
Sep 20, 2015, 12:27 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Jim,

Can you please comment on both proposed RFU antenna placement alternatives on the Four Star 120 cockpit? Is there any advantage one way or another?

Thanks,

Paul
not Jim obviously, but there's no practical difference in receiving signals between the two pics. but being a wood structure, I'd pull them inside so they stay within the fuselage... to prevent them flexing outside the fuselage in the wind.
Sep 20, 2015, 12:57 PM
Build more, websurf less
Thanks KM. While kept oriented at 90 degrees, how close can you place the exposed antenna parts?
Sep 20, 2015, 02:16 PM
Try to keep the antennas at least 2" apart. I would put one antenna straight down the fuse and the other placed 90 degrees up or down.
Sep 20, 2015, 02:39 PM
Build more, websurf less
Got it. Thanks. Likely go with something like this, as it places the antenna about three-to-four inches from the servos. I'll sink a pushrod inner down the side of the fuse and tape the top part.
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 20, 2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added photo
Sep 22, 2015, 12:51 AM
The left most antenna could run straight back towards the tail instead of making that 90 degree turn.
Sep 27, 2015, 10:39 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
I am a little rusty at this, but dont be gentle let me have it...
Last edited by chrisf testpilot; Sep 28, 2015 at 12:18 PM.