Sep 04, 2019, 10:44 PM
Living the dream
Very cool. Nice. way to go...
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 02:48 PM
Hi Jim, would like your input on the RFU and X10 placement. The one RFU aerial will be down the side of the fuselage where the red line is and the other one go through a hole ( red dot) up into the canopy behind the instrument panel. Second picture of the aerial position in the canopy. The X10 will be slightly higher than in the photo.
Many thanks.
Charlie
Oct 21, 2019, 03:05 PM
This is the aircraft. The aerial along the inside of the fuselage will be above the wing and approximately where the blue stripe is.
Oct 22, 2019, 12:17 AM
posted on thingverse?
Oct 22, 2019, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_whitney
posted on thingverse?
I don't know thinsvers?
Oct 23, 2019, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antic bipe
I don't know thinsvers?
It is a place for 3d printer files so you can print it out yourself. or have it made and shipped to you.
Oct 25, 2019, 01:20 AM
Thread OP
This will work, but a range test will tell you everything.

If you were going to use a 2nd RFU I would place one in the belly towards the tail, with one antenna running parallel to the fuselage along the bottom, and the other antenna running vertically up one side of the fuse.
Last edited by JimDrew; Oct 25, 2019 at 03:24 AM.
Oct 25, 2019, 01:53 AM
Many thanks Jim.. I always range check and make sure everything is perfect. I'll also make sure all the wires are as far from the RFU as possible. It's a scratch built Extra so will be extra sure.

Many thanks

Charlie
Oct 25, 2019, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
WOW! That's beautiful for a scratch built! Well done!
Oct 25, 2019, 06:23 AM
Thanks Jim, I did fly it quite a lot for a few years till the rudder servo packed up while flying and jammed full right. I could still keep it in the air but it was flying terrible and I never knew what was wrong. When I throttled back it immediately went into a spin. I got it out three times. Then eventually killed the engine and watched it spin in.
Well now it's rebuilt, recovered and painted and almost finished. Just waiting for all the vinyl stickers etc.
Used to be on 35mhz pcm but used to get glitches every now and again. But now it will be much better on 2.4 XPS! 😁
Nov 01, 2019, 03:41 PM
Hi, just some pictures of my x10+ and RFU installed with light pipes so I can see the status LEDs. Works great but I still have to neatly tie all the wires etc.
A funny thing I noticed when about to switch on I rotated the rudder servo (JR 8401) and the LED on the X10 and RFU both blinked red. I can only imagine it was generating some electrical feedback into the X10 bus. I've never seen this before.
Enjoy the weekend.

Charlie
Nov 01, 2019, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
Yes, servos will generate power like a magneto.

Quick Reply