Jun 16, 2018, 12:05 PM
Hi Jim, whoop whoop I received my first X24 yesterday! It looks absolutely awesome and hope to have it in operation soon!
It looks like a premium product for sure!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2018, 12:08 PM
Thanks. There will be a firmware update available later today for it. See the X24 thread for more info. I know that Mike has a Serial LInk.
Jun 17, 2018, 03:29 AM
Thanks Jim, I have also got a serial link and a XDP so no problem to update the firmware. Will do it today as the weather is no good for flying today.
May still rain some to hopefully as we almost ran out of water. We have had some good rain in the last week but still restricted to 50L water per person /day.
Sep 21, 2018, 01:34 PM
Garland

Mount nano in a heli wires vertical or horizontal?

I know keep nano away from wires but in a heli is better to mount on a vertical side frame or a horizontal plate surface?

Oh yeh I did this mod RX mount to my trainer plane which hasn't flown yet I forgot ask here if this is good before I do. I hope this location gets me into the XPS hall of fame for RX locations in a plane. Cant think of none better! I even gave RX a window! Hell yah!!
Last edited by Ghia; Sep 21, 2018 at 02:00 PM.
Sep 22, 2018, 07:52 AM
Build more, websurf less
Ghia,

Nice viewing porthole. Depending on the airplane's typical flight regime you might want to consider orienting your receiver to match. For example, I do a lot of takeoff and landings and touch and goes which means the side of the airplane faces me most of the time. For this type of flying I orient the Nano antenna vertically near the top of the fuse, canopy or turtledeck. Otherwise for sport aerobatics I orient the antenna about 45 degrees from flat. Note that I've also had Nanos mounted flat for hundreds of flights without any problems; it's just that I am a bit obsessive.

Helicopter: I originally had a Nano on my Mini Protos heli and later installed an RFU. It is challenging to get the receiver far away from wires, carbon fiber or metal frame parts, servos, and other conductive equipment aboard so underneath seemed best.

Both the Nano and RFU have performed rock solid in this application. The heli flies close in anyway.

Good luck,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 22, 2018 at 11:11 AM.
Sep 22, 2018, 11:21 AM
Paul, that is exactly how we have our helis setup with the Nano. We have never used a RFU in a heli, but that installation looks great!
Sep 22, 2018, 12:51 PM
Build more, websurf less
Jim, it is exactly how you did it because I followed your lead Paul
Sep 22, 2018, 08:31 PM
LOL! That makes sense!
Sep 22, 2018, 10:12 PM
Garland
Thanks Guys! On my helis Audacity Pantera Im finding that vertical pins with fixed nano antennas is limited me on mounting options. As ya said ya got moving rods, metal booms, life batts et. I think I'll step u to a rfu which seems more flexible in a heli adn I will get telem info on my A9 screen with rfu.

In my trainer plane I like my RX spot , unless its wrong, for the 8chan rx. I can switch to a rfu or a Nano but im not sure I need to and 8chan will get me telem on A9 screen.
Sep 23, 2018, 08:07 AM
Build more, websurf less
Ghia,

That shelf is perfect for the 8ch receiver, and the telemetry (Rx battery voltage and RSSI?) sounds nice.

Had a 10-foot bush plane many years ago in which I mounted the XPS 8ch receiver in exactly the same spot. Worked perfectly. I was probably the first guy in the club to fly with 2.4GHz. One guy came up to me while I was having the first flight with the XPS system and asked: "How long have you bee flying 2.4?" I replied: "About three minutes now."

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Sep 23, 2018 at 08:18 AM.
Sep 23, 2018, 12:36 PM
Garland
Thanks Paul I will keep my new shelf with the 8 chan RX in my trainer plane!

Ok I keep returning to this location for my heli. If this is good a nano would be simple and I can live without telem features in the rfu on my heli as I dont fly far away and I use and like flight timers as I am old school. Well I never had telem info on my old 9c so ....yeh.....I also use dual 2 cell life a123 1100mah packs on this heli.
Sep 23, 2018, 02:04 PM
Build more, websurf less
The problem with mounting the receiver on top is that its antenna will blocked often by the rest of the heli. By putting it on the bottom it should be in clear view of the transmitter more often.
Sep 23, 2018, 03:39 PM
Garland
Umm ok Paul that is a good point..

I get a tingle crawling up my leg on this location here then! I dont get fuel on that spot usually and it is away from the exhaust. How do I mount a nano RX on a nitro heli or plane? I have liked a thick foam pad with a Velcro strap on my 8 channels RX in the past . That might not work here
Last edited by Ghia; Sep 23, 2018 at 04:03 PM.
Sep 24, 2018, 07:55 AM
Build more, websurf less
That's a good spot. I would remove the label from the nano and glue it to that beam with a small line of PFM or silicone (silicone would help reduce vibration).

If you attach it on that beam make sure that the top half of the nano, the portion with the antenna is as far away from the beam as possible. If the beam is carbon fiber make sure your glue provides an insulating layer to prevent the pins and parts on the back of nano from shorting on it.

As an alternative why not the spot as below? Same PFM or silicone mounting.
Sep 24, 2018, 09:30 AM
Garland
Thanks Paul! The frame is all plastic and I did think about mounting on the land gear but they are zip tied to the frame to be easy off in a crash and I didnt want my RX to go off with them. It would be very close to the metal boom struts also.

Quick Reply