Post pictures of your installation here! - Page 12 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 21, 2018, 01:50 PM
Hi Jim, OK I have ordered an X24 and RFUs via Mike. Think he is placing an order for quite a few components tonight . A lot is saved on the postage if one person places an order. Looking forward to seeing the x24 and seeing it working. I can get life batteries here so will more than likely use 2 2100mA cells.
Lovely stuff and have a great day.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2018, 08:25 PM
Mike did place an order for quite a few items, so it should be like Christmas for you shortly.
May 22, 2018, 02:45 AM
Hahahaha cool!
May 31, 2018, 05:07 AM

10+ and Nano 3d printed mounts

I printed these as the Nano covers come off and screwing the 10+ hard down in a petrol powered model would expose it to a lot of vibration.
I can either mount them with velcro or servo rubber mounts. The Nano case has a cover that clips on to retain it and the 10+ has 2 lugs that I mushroom over with a hot metal punch.
May 31, 2018, 06:32 AM
Nice! ....
May 31, 2018, 10:28 AM
Be aware that some types of plastic that close to the Nano antenna wires can cause problems. Make sure that you range check that setup.
May 31, 2018, 04:22 PM
Ok didn't think of that, I thought 2.4 would be fine as long as no metal was in the mix.
What type of plastic should we avoid, these are printed PLA.
Well that's taken the wind out of my sails!
May 31, 2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the advice Jim I will cut the arms off for the antenna.
If the antenna breaks at the solder joint on a nano, what type of wire can be used to replace it.
Jun 01, 2018, 12:02 AM
It has to do with the capacitance of the wires to the coils. Some types of plastic can cause a problem. I am not sure about PLA, ABS, PETG, etc. though. A range test is a quick way to know.
Jun 11, 2018, 07:30 PM
Build more, websurf less
Hi all,

I want to install an RFU in my 2m sailplane.

I can put the RFU in the fuse behind the X10, and have the antenna wires come out of the fuse at 90 degrees to each other as shown. Maybe with the antenna parts outside the fuse enclosed in a protective nylon tube (pushrod inner). Is that ok?

I wish I could get the RFU inside the fuse nearer the tail and put one antenna along the fuse and the other up the vertical fin, but I cannot get in there...too much like a ship in a bottle.

If I were able to mount the antennas inside the fuse and fin do you think the range would be affected by having to go through the fiberglass and gelcoat?

Thanks for your opinions,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Jun 11, 2018 at 07:37 PM.
Jun 11, 2018, 09:49 PM
The ONLY time you need the antenna wires outside of the fuse is if the fuse is made of carbon fiber. Otherwise, just run them inside the fuse at opposing 45 degree angles on each side of the fuse.
Jun 11, 2018, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
The ONLY time you need the antenna wires outside of the fuse is if the fuse is made of carbon fiber. Otherwise, just run them inside the fuse at opposing 45 degree angles on each side of the fuse.
I disagree that removing ANY object between antenna to antenna when possible would not be a good idea.
Jun 12, 2018, 12:03 AM
Huh? What I describe is correct.
Jun 12, 2018, 07:45 AM
Build more, websurf less
Ok, interesting. Something like this. I'll figure out a way to keep them at least two inches apart.

Perhaps mounting the antennas on a piece of paper card at the proper orientation and then feeding the card down aft into the fuse.

Thanks,

Paul
Jun 12, 2018, 10:51 AM
Yep, that's exactly correct! Of course a range test will tell you everything!

Quick Reply