Dec 17, 2012, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
Alert

WARNING bad batch ** Hobby King Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller

*** WARNING *** This Hobby King board has a MANUFACTURING FAULT.

The entire Hobby King batch is affected, it is NOT a random faulty component, it is a missing GND connection on the PCB

I did initially incorrectly believe it was the wrong component was preventing the board from working, pointed out by a poster that the GND connection for 5V regulator is missing on the Hobby King board.

It continues to be sold by Hobby King long after the manufacturing fault was clearly brought to Hobby King's attention, then it was briefly out of stock, hours later SALE PRICE: $34.95 limited time only!
No mention or acknowledgement of the manufacturing fault.

If like me you have unfortunately already purchased this board, cut your loses now - DO NOT USE THIS BOARD AND RISK YOUR MULTICOPTER

I have made Hobby King aware that this board has a manufacturing fault which has been confirmed by others, the issue is beyond any doubt, it affects the entire batch.

Yet Hobby King continue to sell this board [now on Sale at reduced price without any mention of manufacturing fault] embroiling many more innocent buyers, that behavior I find beyond unacceptable and unprofessional.

Unless there is absolutely no way around it we will never again buy anything from Hobby King, I am not a Hobby King basher, we have spent thousands of dollars with Hobby King and I have in the past devoted my time to support their products here on rcgroups - NO MORE - not after I informed Hobby King that clearly they have a manufacturing fault and yet they continue to sell that known confirmed flawed board.

----------------------------------------------------

The Hobby King board is a clone of the CRIUS AIO PRO V1 which does NOT have the manufacturing fault introduced by Hobby King.

The manufacturing fault with this board is - missing GND connection to the 5V regulator.

Arrow points to 5V regulator which has no GND connection - on HK Multiwii PRO

Photo of delicate rough modification to connect 5V regulator GND pin to GND - this is not something most people can fix without totally stuffing up the board, very small part involved. AND it voids Hobby King warranty.

Photo of the same area on a CRIUS AIO PRO V1 that works correctly because the GND pin of 5V regulator is indeed connected to GND -

You may be fooled into thinking your board is not affected if you power it from USB, LED's light up board APPEARS to be OK - WRONG! -

- How to test your board -

Hobby King's instructions for powering this board

Quote:
Input power selection:
• One of the following ways
– Connect 5V power cable from ESC or UBEC to the ESC/Servo port, the J1 jumper must be closed.
– Connect 5V~12V power cable to the extend power port, the J1 jumper must be removed.

Note: When using Extend Board, AIO PRO must be powered from the extend power port.

Here is what happens when I do that to my Hobby King board - the board does NOT WORK - ATMega2560 gets no power, LEDs get no power.

This is what is supposed to happen, same connections to CRIUS AIO PRO v1, Board works, everything gets power as it should.

The ONLY way normally to power all the optional devices which may be connected to this board such as GPS and 3DRadio is to – Connect 5V~12V power cable to the extend power port, the J1 jumper must be removed.

Here is what happens when I attach GPS and 3DRadio to the Hobby King board - ONLY the GPS gets any power - the board does NOT WORK - ATMega2560 gets no power, LEDs get no power.

This is what is supposed to happen, when I attach GPS and 3DRadio same connections to CRIUS AIO PRO v1, Board works, everything gets power as it should.

There are various people posting misinformation, saying that all one needs to do is power the board like this – Connect 5V power cable from ESC or UBEC to the ESC/Servo port, the J1 jumper must be closed.

this is what happens when powered that way

GPS receives no POWER, there is NO POWER ON S1`S3 socket at all because that power ONLY comes from the Extend power in connector.

That behavior is normal, same thing happens when using CRIUS AIO PRO V1

If you intend to fully utilize the HK board you cannot avoid having to use s1~s3 connector which is affected by the manufacturing fault on the Hobby King board.

No amount of arguing will fix that.

IMHO Hobby King should do the right thing - STOP SELLING THIS BOARD WITH A MANUFACTURING FAULT - and recall all the boards from this batch with Hobby King paying return postage, it is the correct thing to do Hobby King, your mistake, your lack of quality control, you pay for it. - NOT FAIR to demand your customers finance your mistake -

-- This is a DESPERATE WORKAROUND --

This will make the board work however it leaves the lingering doubt what else have Hobby King messed up, why risk your entire multicopter your safety and those around you over $50.

Use one of the supplied single leads. White cable shown in photo below.

Connected between the Extend power in V pin and the top right corner [in the photo below] SPI pin

Power the board by connecting 5V UBEC to any of the ESC output headers, J1 jumper in place.

Simply NOT worth the risk, your multicopter, your safety and the safety of those around you is worth a lot more than $50. Don't tempt fate.
Last edited by jabram; Jan 01, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2012, 04:21 AM
Wonder if brass rivets through the holes and then soldered back will do a better job?
Dec 17, 2012, 04:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSMANS
Wonder if brass rivets through the holes and then soldered back will do a better job?
Not sure I understand what you mean. not much we can do once the board is finished. All they had to do is a very minor redesign of the PCB to allow use of the correct USB socket, the original problem is well documented and obviously they are aware of the problem just haven't bothered to actually fix it. I doubt cost is an issue, the correct USB socket with thru hole mounting pins would not cost a lot more, it may even be cheaper as more designers would be using the correct component, maybe there is a glut of the junk USB connectors and they can obtain them for free.
Dec 17, 2012, 06:09 PM
Subscribed ;-)
Dec 17, 2012, 07:51 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
I think those cables with the little white connectors are only one sided. I think that's how everyone else sells it too. Just one white connector per cable.
Dec 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan
I think those cables with the little white connectors are only one sided. I think that's how everyone else sells it too. Just one white connector per cable.
The CRIUS AIO PRO V1 purchased ages ago came with both ends of the cable with shells on some cables as well as spare cables, some of the cables have bare ends. At least they paid attention and got the colors right.

I know one can go out and buy shells, but you order and wait, then this turns up, causing a delay in getting your toy working while you order and wait for parts that should have been included.

The slight difference in price means one may as well order from Rctimer and not have the extra hassles ordering shells and undoing all the connectors to move Red and Black cables so you don't get trapped later on and fry something.

I never did like those white connectors, there is no way to avoid the mess splitting GND and VCC to power GPS and Bluetooth for example - which is why I prefer the Rctimer ArduFlyer 2.5 with mostly standard 0.1" headers and where they use the small white connectors for GPS and 3DRadio the cables are supplied with shells at both ends and the cable colors correctly placed. They even supply a spare GPS cable with 0.1" end so that you can set up the Ublox GPS using FTDI with 0.1" header without having to find another cable.

The USB connector, given all the well documented troublesome past history is pathetic.
Last edited by jabram; Dec 17, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Dec 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
Thread OP

Hobby King use wrong coponent board doesn't work.

Deleted - incorporated into first post in this tread
Last edited by jabram; Dec 25, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Dec 19, 2012, 09:46 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
So what happens when you used extended power in? None of the Serial ports get powered with the jumper off?
Dec 19, 2012, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Last edited by jabram; Dec 25, 2012 at 07:07 AM.
Dec 19, 2012, 01:20 PM
Nice spotting digger

Hopefully many will see this thread before they get one of these early ones.
Roll on my RCT AFC
Dec 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
That post of your partner is still viewable on the discussion thread at HK
The picture is still available in the files menu too
Dec 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ
That post of your partner is still viewable on the discussion thread at HK
The picture is still available in the files menu too
This is the censored post

Dec 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram
Initially I was just disappointed about the weak USB socket and the cable colors, well that pales into insignificance now.

Board works fine if powered from USB.

Board does NOT work at all when powered from the Extend Power connector.

Reason it doesn't work - wrong component on board where the 5V linear regulator should be.

Arrow points to wrong component -NOT a 5V regulator -

Photo of the same area on a CRIUS AIO PRO with the correct part - a 5V regulator -
'IM335' top mark in SPX3819 data sheet is a 5V regulator ,that is correct part.
Dec 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogupu
'IM335' top mark in SPX3819 data sheet is a 5V regulator ,that is correct part.
Downloaded the data sheet you mentioned SPX3819_DS_R200_082312.pdf

Searched the pdf for IM335 and it is NOT found in that document.

The IM335 on the board I received from Hobby King outputs 3.3Volts which is the reason my board doesn't work.

Either it is the wrong part or a mislabeled part. It needs to be a 5V regulator, what I have marked as IM335 is working as a 3.3V regulator
Last edited by jabram; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Dec 19, 2012, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
Last edited by jabram; Dec 25, 2012 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply