Nov 20, 2001, 03:55 AM

Anyone converted Kyosho P-51D or Spitfire?

Has anyone e-converted Kyosho P-51D or Spitfire successfully.
They are spec for 40 size, 5-6 lbs, on the heavy side.
Wondering if MEC turbo10+ or Jeti 30/3 will be ok on it?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2001, 10:31 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Frank, I did build a MEC P51 (older Kyosho foamy ARF).

They were using MEC Turbo10+ systems in these.

The new .40 sized Mustang is too big for a Turbo10+ motor. You would need a geared Astro 25 or 40 sized motor or a brushless Aveox or Maxcim or Jeti 40/3 for the larger Kyosho Mustang or Spitfire.
Nov 20, 2001, 09:35 PM
aka neweflyer
I am flying the spacewalker kit, same size on a jeti brushless. The kit quality was good.
grant
Nov 20, 2001, 09:47 PM
Giddy up!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerald
Frank, I did build a MEC P51 (older Kyosho foamy ARF)...
Gerald,
Did you ever get that foamie back together? Tell me you did, sure was a sweet job.
Nov 20, 2001, 09:49 PM
Giddy up!
I just read your web page, I guess you didn't. What was the problem with the crashes?
Nov 21, 2001, 09:39 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Sal, the problem was more with me than with the plane. Only one crash was not due to pilot error. That was when I lost all control because of an overheated BEC (I think).

These scale WWII warbirds usually have a high wing loading, the Mustang especially. I was just not used to flying something like this. Furthermore I was flying at a large school sports field. It's big for this kind of field but not really big enough for a heavy fast plane like the Mustang was. I should have taken it to the club field.
Anyway its final crash was due to a high speed snap stall caused by trying to turn too sharply. There were people walking in the area so I was trying to fly it close in so I wouldn't be overflying anyone.

I learned a few things on that one though so when I complete the second one it will do better.
Nov 22, 2001, 09:41 PM
Giddy up!
Gerald,

I know the feeling. You sure did a beautiful job on that plane.

Like PortAh I was also thinking about converting the Kyosho P-51. At $122 from Tower during their sale it seems like a steal.
Nov 24, 2001, 04:51 PM
Gerald,

You sure did a great job making the MEC mustang
looks so good. Sorry to hear about the mishap.
I see your workmanship can restore it back no problem. :-)
How did you make it so silver and smooth? What type
of paint do you use?
The rascal still looks good in my hangar.

Sal, that's exactly what I am looking, Tower's price.
At $122, that's hard to pass. Kyosho kit is very scale
and detail too.
Maybe I just spend the bucks and get the Mega 45/3 and jeti esc
combo for it.

-Frank
Dec 17, 2004, 09:56 PM
Speed Demon
I've just about got one of the Kyosho P-51's ready to fly. I'm using an Astroflight 05BL fan motor geared 4.4:1. Using a TP 3S1P 2100 pack that is 1/2 charged it pulls 29 amps. The AUW is a hair over 36 oz. I still need to get the battery pack mounted solidly. The only thing holding me back on this is I have no idea where the CG needs to be. Gerald or anyone else have any words of wisdom for CG placement?
Dec 21, 2004, 06:14 PM
Registered Useless
A link to a converted Hangar 9 'Stang, larger than a Kyo though:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&page=1&pp=15

Pretty comprehensive list of components therein.