Dec 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
Registered Slopeaphile
Due to shipping constraints, I'd be interested in the glassfibre fuselage pod on its own.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2012, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
cool... let me get this one finalized and I will work up a price for the pod.. The current wing configuration of a plug in center and glue on the tips, the wing is small. I will post all that specs shortly... well sneaking off to the shop now while all the family is visiting... my quiet time
Jan 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
well been working on the horizontal stab mount and trying to see how to make it easier for production run. I will have photos on this later today.
Jan 04, 2013, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
got some work done and will get photos and update shortly, I had to travel over the last few days and hope to be home in a few days to gt this done and flown.
Jan 07, 2013, 09:04 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
nice work... I may be interested but shipping to me may be pricy

Chris
Jan 09, 2013, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Chris,

Yeah from Knoxville to Oak Ridge..might even have to clear customs and have special permitts...

Hope to have some more done on this soon... have a family issue come up and has been keeping me out of the work shop.

S.
Jan 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
okay.... well got some stuff done today, the wings are all ready , this version will have 3/4 oz glass cloth with West epoxy and then primed and painted.. I'm thinking most will go with a monokote wing for additional weight savings... so in to keep the epoxy "soak" down i sealed the wings with min wax sanding sealer, I do this also when sheeting foam wings with either epoxy or the poly based glues. The wings hanging up drying right now.

I did a check of the payload mound and battery mount and all is good there, photo to be added.... As a kit version the builder will have the choice of how to make a mount for all the fun stuff. My mount is made of honeycomb nomex/fiberglass light weight but $$$

I also worked on the tail boom and cut the slot for the stab this prototype will have a glassed foam stab with a live hinge on it from another version we flew. The production version I have not decided on what is to be done, and it may be a option that you the customer can add....

The horizontal stab has been glued in place, now the add the vertical and then glue the boom into the pod....we have already been working on some new ideas for their where maybe the boom will slide into a sleeve/fitting on the pod.

The nose will be hinged on the top to open up and slide the try out for battery and payload change, the camera will either be in the nose or out on the wing, still looking at this.

The goal is 1+ hour of flight time ! and be able to cover a large distance or keep in orbit at a point for extended times.

I hope to get the wings glassed this week, some of the other small stuff.

As always the end user could always make access thru the side of the pod to get to gear, my feeling to this you either have to stand the plane up on the wing or have some sort of stand,with nose access it just flips up onto the wing for easy access..

The wing has been mounted to the podnow, and 1/4x20 nylon bolts will be used into T nuts.

pics added.
Jan 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
do you get your fiberglass local or order it?

Chris
Jan 13, 2013, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
Chris,

I have alot of the materials for making molds and the lay-ups in house... I do order online from various vendors depending on price and what I need.

S.
Jan 13, 2013, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
more photos
Jan 13, 2013, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot1
more photos
ha! secrets out... thats XPS in the tail...

For production ones may want to go to EPS (2"x4'x8' at lowes for $25) it has half the density of XPS and is great to hotwire and wrap...

Chris
Jan 14, 2013, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Chris,

No secret... Yep that is home depot pink foam for the stab..It is Magnum Models stab we used for testing, ( foam with a glassed/carbon surface no wood)

The production version will be a bit different to help keep the cost down.

The wing a different foam that is sheeted with 1/32 balsa.

I will be sanding the wing today and getting it ready for the glass.

I did some work late last night and am working on the nose / hinge system and latch system.

s.
Jan 15, 2013, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
okay, got the nose hinge system figured out.. Had to do some mod, so most likely will make a new plug and mold for production version to help in the build process.

Wings got a light sanding and now are ready for glass... See if I can get the wife to help with this... The wing will be covered in 3/4 oz glass and epoxy then primed and painted.

The boom is almost ready for install and gluing. then sand and prime all and a quick coat of pain and install of gear... thinking about running the push-rods down the center of the boom.. make it look cleaner..

hope to get into the shop tonight...

s.
Last edited by patternpilot1; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: info
Jan 17, 2013, 12:59 PM
Great Build. Would be interested in one of this when completed. Please let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply