Model Aero Polaris Ultra ARF - Page 14 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jan 10, 2013, 04:37 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
I've had good luck with scanning and color matching at Home Depot.
I wonder if they can match and supply water based paint that would work in an air brush?
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2013, 05:41 PM
Registered User
bluebird's Avatar
You can get a sample size of matched color waterbase paint and i have sprayed it. Testors red enamel is too dark. I did the same thing.

I added a short piece of shrinkwrap to the ends of my pushrod guides and shrank it down but that the wire still slides through

Nice exaust. Is that an 8-6 x 3 prop? Going to try that on 4S?

Joe
Jan 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8
How did you guys check the CG?
Can I just put it on a flat table and adjust the components untill it will tip either way on the step?
Thanks!
Just flip it upside down and balance on fingertips. The CG should be right at the rear end of the plastic vent on the fuselage top, i.e., directly over the step.

Resting it on a table may work if you tip the model back and forth to make sure it's right on the edge of the step, but the tendency is to think it's balanced when in fact it's ahead of the step. I want to know where the CG is, not just whether it's on the step or not. My way, I can find the actual point where it balances level and that's the CG. I like it slightly behind the step -- say 1/4".
Jan 10, 2013, 09:49 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird

Nice exaust. Is that an 8-6 x 3 prop? Going to try that on 4S?

Joe
Yes! if it ever stops raining and the wind dies down!
Joe, got any video yet???
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jan 10, 2013, 09:58 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Ok. Don't laugh to hard......the short term fix was a Red Permanent Marker
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jan 10, 2013, 11:52 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird
You can get a sample size of matched color waterbase paint and i have sprayed it. Testors red enamel is too dark. I did the same thing.

I added a short piece of shrinkwrap to the ends of my pushrod guides and shrank it down but that the wire still slides through

Nice exaust. Is that an 8-6 x 3 prop? Going to try that on 4S?

Joe
gonna look aweful funny carrying my Ultra into Home Depot
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jan 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
Registered User
I found an acrylic paint at Walmart yesterday that matches the red really well. To test it, I reluctantly striped some paint off the wing of my Ultra prototype, then applied 2 coats of the paint with a foam brush. The color was good but the gloss was off, so I found a can of clear gloss spray in the closet and sprayed a light coat over the repaint. As you can see it's nearly invisible!

The paint color is #21469 Flad Red. $.97 for a 2 oz. bottle.

Scott
Jan 11, 2013, 11:02 AM
Registered User
Caddguy6's Avatar
Great find Scott, thanks! That'll save us allot of searching for the right product. Price is right also!
Jan 11, 2013, 03:55 PM
We shall serve the Lord
kingsflyer's Avatar

Dry Land Flying


Went out to the club field this morning to show off the Polaris Ultra. Easy take offs from the grass beside our runway and Polaris smooth landings. Here are some pictures from this mornings activities.
McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jan 11, 2013, 04:18 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero
I found an acrylic paint at Walmart yesterday that matches the red really well. To test it, I reluctantly striped some paint off the wing of my Ultra prototype, then applied 2 coats of the paint with a foam brush. The color was good but the gloss was off, so I found a can of clear gloss spray in the closet and sprayed a light coat over the repaint. As you can see it's nearly invisible!

The paint color is #21469 Flad Red. $.97 for a 2 oz. bottle.

Scott
You must live uptown! It was $.47 at my Wallyworld!
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jan 11, 2013, 04:19 PM
Registered User
Aviefly's Avatar
Wow great pics kingsflyer, makes me want one even more. The shot of you holding it is good to get an idea of the size of it, it really is quite big eh.
Jan 11, 2013, 04:45 PM
Outlaw
gatorb8's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Went out to the club field this morning to show off the Polaris Ultra. Easy take offs from the grass beside our runway and Polaris smooth landings. Here are some pictures from this mornings activities.
McD
Lookin' good Kingsflyer!
Weather wind fcst was 15-25 this morning but reality was 0! So the last few details that I put off because the fcst was so bad prevented me from maiden today I'll be ready tomarrow just in case.......
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad
Jan 11, 2013, 05:10 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8
You must live uptown! It was $.47 at my Wallyworld!
I guess!!!
Jan 11, 2013, 05:12 PM
Registered User
Thanks for sharing the photos kingsflyer! It looks like you are having a ball with her.

Scott
Jan 11, 2013, 08:24 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Lockey's Avatar
Great pics kingsflyer, I am envious .. wish we could get the Ultra in Oz

Thanks for sharing mate

Lockey


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Complete Power set up for a Aero Models Aqua Cat or Polaris RTflyboy Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 1 Dec 08, 2012 06:52 PM
For Sale cassini aero models usa p 51d mustang 120 arf asteroidguy Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 17, 2012 06:21 PM
Discussion Model Aero Polaris Seaplane Auction Model Aero Hot Online Deals 1 Mar 11, 2012 12:28 PM
For Sale cassini aero models usa p 51 mustang 120 arf asteroidguy Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 22, 2012 01:14 PM