Dec 18, 2012, 12:14 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
I'm pitching 2 cents into the well,here...........If you intend to sheet the turtle deck with 1/32 A/C ply,please add another stringer between those two on each side.
Use hard balsa,maybe 1/8 x 1/4..After a couple of years of the dope shrinking,mine began the 'starved horse' look....a couple of extra stringers woulld take care of that lil' problem.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Thank's for the tip Earl. I'll look into it.
Dec 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Well Earl I've decided to do something a little different. A lot of gear is going in up under that front section so I decided to make it removable. I am going to take lithoplate cut it to the size of the panels. Then I will laminate 1/64 ply to the back side, except for the overlap. This will give me removable panels. I think. We'll see.
Dec 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Doesn't the plan tell you to get a GROSS of screws or something like that?

The side panels are easily done,but man.fitting up the center top one around the cabanes is a head scratcher ! Everything tapers and is on an ANGLE!!!
Well fastened panels are as strong as glued in place ones,and access won't be denied.....
Dec 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
I can't find a number on the plans. A quick count there will be a couple hundred or so. What really suck's is they are slotted flush screws. I like the access part but I don't like the head scratcher part.
Dec 18, 2012, 05:03 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Full scale planes usually use flat head phillips screws,to prevent the screwdriver from slipping out.
Andy was wrong to use slotted screws,IMHO,but that was his choice,whatever his reason.
Maybe the plane he copied used slotted screws....a wise man doesn't.!
Dec 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
That makes me fell much better because I am going to use panhead phillip's. On the detail stuff I like to make it just a little more pronounced.
Dec 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Added some, whatever there called, to the fin and rudder. When dry I will finish it up.
Dec 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Forgot to post this one about two hours prior to the last post.

Have the fin/rudder lamination laminated. I will give it an hour of drying to retain some shape then remove it and add glue.
Dec 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
They're called lam....in....a....shuns...( I've called 'em other names on occasion.)
Dec 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
Ah a wise guy. I was refereing to the internal pieces.
Dec 18, 2012, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
I have done several laminations of this sort, but usually with balsa. When I read lightply I thought oh boy. But it went rather well.
Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
After wiping the egg off my face,I thought you'd know I were joshing !!lol.
Ribs.
Dec 19, 2012, 07:45 AM
Bellanca Kruesair

Skinny legs

Here's a photo of the Cessna style landing gear,although I prefer the Original Pitts style...I hate change.

I have 18 pics of the S1s,yours if you want them....PM your mailing address,and we'll get them on their way.
Dec 19, 2012, 10:16 AM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4rc
Added some, whatever there called, to the fin and rudder. When dry I will finish it up.
Those are very nice laminations. You've charmed those curves like a dancing cobra. Would appreciate if you'd share your technique on how you got those results.

EJWash

Quick Reply