Jan 14, 2013, 09:50 AM
team sleprock
she is looking mighty sexy there ACE!

it's at this point, when she starts looking like a plane, I get excited!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2013, 12:28 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
I'm sorry-here- I'll hold your dang hand !....But you gotta remember-I'm building three airplanes at onct,and I don't have all that time !

I HAVE been watching,and getting inspired by your build.

One more thing I'll give you credit for,is the way you pointed out your cabane mistake, and then proceeded to fix it....

We're glad you're that comfortable with the build (and us) to say it out loud..

Building models is difficult....no doubt....but you're getting right along.....People are reading, but not everyone talks back....Keep doing your thing,Ace....We're still here.
Jan 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
LOL Thank's Earl. My hand was getting real cold. All warm and fuzzy now.
Jan 17, 2013, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
Well after a couple days off to tend to some buisiness got back on it this morning. Started sanding the top wing, thankfully had the L/E area done when, damn, the rain came in. Now I'm glueing the L/E sheeting on. I will finish the sanding tomorrow. Then I want to mount the wings again, double check the incedence of both wings to the fuse, and then finish building the struts.
Jan 18, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hey Robert. I was searching for 1/3 scale Pitts and who did I find? .... LOL
Awesome build as would be expected. My other build is coming along but I've already begun thinking of the next. I'll be watching this one.
Jan 18, 2013, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Really trying to get the sanding done today but mother nature is not cooperating. There has been a light mist most of the day. Almost done, only need about 30 more minutes.
Nice to have ya aboard here as well TM.
Jan 18, 2013, 06:29 PM
Are you sanding outside Robert?
Jan 18, 2013, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
Yes Greyflight I am. Did not finish the sanding today I gave up. But I did get the wheel pant mounts installed. And I got the engine mount in. I'm going to put the throttle and choke servos inside the cowl, theres plenty of room. The black arrow depics the throttle servo placement, the red is where I will cut the exhaust pie at, and the green is where the exhaust will be ran to. When you see the sideview the green arrow is where it needs to exit.
Jan 18, 2013, 10:37 PM
AMA 910957
I see you're using a soft mount. Curious as to your take on using one as opposed to not using one. Advantages/disadvantages. Thanks.

EJWash
Jan 19, 2013, 08:25 AM
Thread OP
EJ you are correct in that being a soft mount, but it won't stay. Not the rubber part anyway. I will replace the rubber section with a 1-1/8" dowel as a stand off. This way gives me more flexibility in the mounting and removal of the engine. If the engine stand off blind nuts get boogered or something it is easily replaced. It also helps shorten the original stand offs, which were 2-1/2". Also the ply the engine mounts to will have a 1-1/2" hole for the carb intake, better airflow.
Jan 19, 2013, 11:19 AM
AMA 910957
Of the guys flying gassers at my filed, some use a soft mount and some do not. The two camps are pretty adamant on the subject. One guy went from not using one to using one swears that he has seen the Light and wouldn't go back to not using one. Another guy that was using one removed it and all his problems went away. I was wondering what your experience/preference was, as well as other guy's.

EJWash
Jan 19, 2013, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
My experience with them is if one can not balance a prop properly or tune properly, yes they help with the vibration. Elsewise they really serve no true purpose. Most of my gas engines are smooth as silk, the smaller one's like the 20cc are not quite as smooth but still no worse than a Nitro powered engine.
Jan 19, 2013, 01:57 PM
Bellanca Kruesair

Soft and pliable

EJWash- I used to swear by soft mounts,and simply would not have an airplane without them.

I will not take sides on this issue, but I will relay my experiences.
In the early eighties, I began a sound quietening campaign at our club.

I made mufflers,snufflers,and mousse' can silencers....Almost all my models are at "90 at 9'" now,some are quieter.
Now, you know how some folks say 4 cycles are LOUDER, but not as offensive?

Well, that's where soft mounts come into play... BALANCING isn't always the answer to vibration....Everytime a cylinder fires,there is a power impulse..The prop doesn't WANT to move,the engine insists that it DO!
That's why I would advocate soft mounts.....Some of that power impulse is softened (absorbed ?) by the mount,and not transmitted to the airframe.
That actually made some film covered models quieter. The Monocote didn't "drum",amplifying the sound.
If I have the correct mounts, I 'soft' mount....If not,I don't worry about it.

About half my models have insulating mounts..Ya' pays yer money, an ya' takes yer choice..
Jan 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Not much gets done on the weekends but I have managed to get the dowels cut and installed for the engine plate. Also have the throttle and choke mounts in with the linkage set up. Just have to put the servo screws in.
Jan 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
team sleprock
every llil job done, is of course, one less thing on the tado list!

Quick Reply