Dec 11, 2012, 09:01 AM
CG =Airplanes .. COG's = Gears
Thread OP
Question

NewBee Park Flyer questions

Years ago there was a small model, called a NewBee, that interested me. Reminds me of the Fat Cartoon park fliers I have seen recently.

I was thinking of getting back into the hobby after a long break but I no longer have a place to fly the large models. Electric would allow me to fly small to medium sized models in the local park.

What would you folks suggest for a motor, battery and ESC for this model?

The rough plans are here.

http://www.svensons.com/airplanes/?f.../NewBee_p1.jpg
http://www.svensons.com/airplanes/?f.../NewBee_p2.jpg

Regards
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
PowerTower
Depends on the model weight, wingspan/loading and how you want to fly.
Look's like about 28-30" wingspan & chord about 7".
I think I would try a 1600 -2000kv motor, a 6x4 or maybe 7x4 prop, 25A ESC.
Not certain though, as it looks like you are going balsa-building, so weight will be the issue and you might need a fairly beefy motor
Dec 15, 2012, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Thanks RW,

My intention is to convert the plans to use foam as the primary building material.

I'm new to the world of electrics. Fuel models, for me, are a bit easier when trying to figure out which engine and prop to use.

I'll use your guidelines to get started.

Thanks Again,
Dec 15, 2012, 08:28 AM
treefinder
Connie: Welcome back to the RC for second half of life!...cute plane, looks to be a fun flyer. You will find a lot of good info in the battery and power systems forums: https://www.rcgroups.com/power-systems-13/ both a few up from us if you want to do some research. I haunted them when I first got into the electrics. Both of them have some 'stickies' threads at top of first page that have successful systems that you can check out. as well.. Finally, take a look through the "600+planes" thread and find a plane about the type and size you are looking at and see what the folk who built it have used. There are several similar layouts in that thread including my OSRacer at 22" span. Wing span and overall weight are the two big first criteria as RW has stated.
Dec 15, 2012, 04:33 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Build that nice and light, make sure it has a good bit more than 1:1 thrust ratio and it will be a superb little plane.
Great choice! You'll love the low parts count with foam.
Dec 17, 2012, 06:43 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info ... Looks like it's about time to put pencil to paper.

Regards,
Dec 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Welcome back. That is a cute plane. For working out power systems, I purchased a program called. Motocac.
Dec 18, 2012, 08:13 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Welcom back. I took about a 15 year break and jumped back into electrics back in '06. There is lots to learn about power systems, batteries et al, but RCG is the place to find it all with lots of people here to help. The amount of info can seem overwhelming at first but keep hammering away and it will all start to make sense.

If you are a Bee fan here is a posting with lots of different Bee plans.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=12

Have fun.

Rick
Dec 27, 2012, 11:44 AM

Newbee

I buit a .35 gas model, balsa and monocoat when the plans were first avaiable. Needed right thrust and seperate servos in each wing, instead of one midwing. Flew ok and with a Barbie doll head as a pilot, it was a hit with the kids. Good luck.

Quick Reply