Mar 04, 2013, 04:51 AM
Awesome video Rolling Circle!

I'm building myself another CY Mini this weekend due to my friend braking mine. Will be making it as light as possible
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneButcher
Well I think my Dualsky took one too many hits and the motor has come loose from the ESC board and has stopped working. Is there any way to fix this or do I place an order for a new one?

Thanks,
Mine has become loose but not detached from the board. I put some glue on it on the back side of the board and tightened it up so there is no more more movement.

If yours is completely off the board and doesn't work any more, maybe one of the motor wires is broken.
Mar 04, 2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom
Mine has become loose but not detached from the board. I put some glue on it on the back side of the board and tightened it up so there is no more more movement.

If yours is completely off the board and doesn't work any more, maybe one of the motor wires is broken.
It is not completely off but the last few flights I could see it was starting to get loose a wobble around a bit. Then when I tried to power up for the next flight it would only stutter and hum. I thought of glueing it tighter but not sure if they will help now. I will have to pull it apart a take a closer look. Might just order a new one and would have a spare if I can fix this one.
Thanks for the reply,
PB
Mar 04, 2013, 11:28 AM
Quote:
It is not completely off but the last few flights I could see it was starting to get loose a wobble around a bit. Then when I tried to power up for the next flight it would only stutter and hum. I thought of glueing it tighter but not sure if they will help now. I will have to pull it apart a take a closer look. Might just order a new one and would have a spare if I can fix this one.
Thanks for the reply,
PB
The stuttering you describe is typical of what happens when a motor wire is broken. Take a look at where they connect to the board and see if the solder joint is intact. You may want to reflow each one with your soldering iron. If the wires are broken at the motor you will probably need to replace the motor unless you want to rewind it.

I used a dab of hot glue to secure that little flange that attaches the motor to the board and it has been solid for many flights.

Good luck.
Mar 04, 2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
The stuttering you describe is typical of what happens when a motor wire is broken. Take a look at where they connect to the board and see if the solder joint is intact. You may want to reflow each one with your soldering iron. If the wires are broken at the motor you will probably need to replace the motor unless you want to rewind it.

I used a dab of hot glue to secure that little flange that attaches the motor to the board and it has been solid for many flights.

Good luck.
Thanks again, people on RCG are always so helpfull.
I will get into it to tonight and see if I can save it. I ordered a new one just in case.
PB
Mar 04, 2013, 12:48 PM
Registered Addict
asosestrom is right sounds like one of the three motor wires is loose bet this sorts it out PB
Mar 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris...
asosestrom is right sounds like one of the three motor wires is loose bet this sorts it out PB
Thanks,
Is there any way to pull the bell off this motor?
Mar 04, 2013, 01:12 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Yes, probably by loosen the two Allen key screws that are doubling as holder for the O-ring to secure the prop. For that you need a small hex key with the size 0,9 mm.
Mar 04, 2013, 01:34 PM
Picture worth a thousand words.
I removed the prop holder screws and tried to pull the bell of but the whole motor pulled off. Blue wire is off. I will re-solder it and put the motor back on. Should I use epoxy or JB Weld to reattach the motor? almost looks like it was soldered on to the board.

Any thoughts?
Mar 04, 2013, 02:03 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Oops, that doesn't look good.
But you have nothing too loose by trying to fix it. Yes, I do also think the parts are soldered.
Maybe you can solder it back together again?
Mar 04, 2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark
Oops, that doesn't look good.
But you have nothing too loose by trying to fix it. Yes, I do also think the parts are soldered.
Maybe you can solder it back together again?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mar 04, 2013, 02:38 PM
I would try to solder it back on. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult.
Mar 04, 2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
I would try to solder it back on. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult.
Gonna give that a try, just need to buy a smaller soldering iron.
Mar 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
Well I am happy to announce that the surgery was a success. The motor was on the table for 1/2 hour and then 1/2 in the recovery room while the epoxy hardened. I couldn't seem to solder the motor back onto the board and I didn't want to overheat it so I used epoxy. It is out of recovery now and as been successfully re-attached to the plane.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Mar 04, 2013, 10:24 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Quote:
It is out of recovery now and as been successfully re-attached to the plane.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Hey that's great news!!! This will help a lot of others! I know a guy who is on his second motor due to putting it into the gym floor. He is an older guy that saw the mini and wanted to get back into flying. I told him that it is a great flying plane. At the rate things are going, it won't be long until he gets motor #3 .... Perhaps we can help him recycle or at least share your story. Great job! The pic really helped show what you had to deal with.

Quick Reply