Dec 08, 2012, 01:38 PM
I just want to go fly!
Discussion

kyosho edge 540 red bull epp foam thoughts?

does anyone know about this plane? is it a good company and is it worth consideration? 1200 kv bl, 30 esc, 11.1 batts, 48 inch wingspan, 12x6 prop. just some specs. saw it and thought i would ask those in the know if this plane would be worth getting? thanks, walt.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2012, 03:34 AM
It is my favorite model on phoenix sim as it flies just like my 47" hacker edge 540 Kyosho is a pretty well known company especially in the car/truck department. With a 3s lipo, 45a esc, 990kv motor and 12x6 prop my edge is pretty good so I am sure that setup is great for the kyosho. I am not sure how well the stock 30amp esc is though? Maybe someone with experience flying this plane will know.
EPP foam is awesome, I have ripped the gear/underside off my 540 and the foam breaks cleanly (its tough though so it is hard to break). It all glues right back in place.
Dec 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
I just want to go fly!
i dont like side battery compartment door set up. looks fiddley. youtube of esc dying and causing crash on maiden. scary! i might just go parkzone extra 300 and get creative with paint.
Dec 09, 2012, 02:23 PM
Being slightly smaller it would be easier to transport. At-least it would be for me when I am taking the car
Dec 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
K_B
K_B
1D Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
i dont like side battery compartment door set up. looks fiddley. youtube of esc dying and causing crash on maiden. scary! i might just go parkzone extra 300 and get creative with paint.
Anything can happen on a maiden. I wouldn't let one youtube video turn you off. If I had read through the PZ Extra 300 threads before I got one, I probably never would have bought one. And that plane is a hoot. Even with the alleged "wing issues"

Is this the plane you're referring to?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1278292
Dec 09, 2012, 03:59 PM
The Edge had an issue with the first run of ESC's that was taken care of a while ago. I love mine but if I had to complain it would be side hatch is kind of iffy in terms of design and the battery is more or less wedged in there. It is a poor design in that regard. I had to figure out a good way to put it in. Beyond that it is a great performer.

The PKZ extra 300 is my fav plane and you cannot go wrong with it.
Dec 09, 2012, 06:35 PM

Hi folks

I have two extra 300 from pz and i got the redbullbedge too. The edge is a great plane, pain is the lipo placement and the landing gear is way too week. I have changed the lg for cf from hk and it just looks & works great. The plane is very acrobatic as u would expect from a edge plane, but not like on the sim
The paint job looks fab in the air but is very fragile. The assemble is bit of a pain since i have to take it apart every time i take it to the field( no car in london)

I have two extra300 with more that 1000 flight on it! Luv it, the quality is day & night to koyosho. Look at my paint job on my second extra
Dec 09, 2012, 06:37 PM

Esc problem -no

No problems with my servos esc or motor so far on the edge.
Dec 09, 2012, 06:39 PM
Keep in mind that u can not get spare parts for this gem. The bare fuse would cost about 100 so this is why i am scared to fly/ dent it
Dec 09, 2012, 06:59 PM

Here we have mine

Rrrrred bulllll
Dec 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
does anyone know about this plane? is it a good company and is it worth consideration? 1200 kv bl, 30 esc, 11.1 batts, 48 inch wingspan, 12x6 prop. just some specs. saw it and thought i would ask those in the know if this plane would be worth getting? thanks, walt.
I have had this plane for awhile now. No issues with my servos or ESC,, landing gear did break loose pretty easily , but then I strengthened the mount with some epoxy (easy ) and as others here have said the battery compartment is a bit weird and requires me to use a custom cut piece of foam to wedge it in there,, and that side door does require some fiddling ,,,, but,,,, it does fly AWSOME . I personally think it'd do much better on 4S,, I'd like to see Tad more vertical punch. So I'm thinkin of rehabbing it with a lightweight 4S and a higher amp ESC ,,, then it would be a GREAT plane!!! It's amazingly fast on 3S,, I radared it at 67 mph and yet its pretty floaty too,, a FAR better flyer than the PZ extra 300 IMHO,,, the PZ extra is not anywhere near as floaty , and just doesn't handle as well ( I've flown both ) . So that's my 2cents. :-)
Dec 24, 2012, 11:20 PM
Thought you might like this Red Bull Edge 540.

http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...-rc-plane.html
Aug 13, 2013, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonichobby
Thought you might like this Red Bull Edge 540.

http://subsonichobby.blogspot.com/20...-rc-plane.html
U are Right,
I like it alot! thanks

But unfortunately the edge epp is crap.
My esc failed and I have nosed in the lovely plane, now looks like a mess and I will not fly it again till i have upgraded the electrics and the new paint job

was saving this plane for a year and after 3 flights the esc failed

not happy