Dec 07, 2012, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

First RC car, which one would run better on grass??

The redcat backdraft 8e (1/8 buggy, stock 50+ mph) or the traxxas slash 2wd VXL 3s with VXL motor?

I am looking for something with speed and agility without getting overheated. I want to run it hard for at least 15-30minutes 2X a day at a local field and have my dog chase it. Are these both not a viable option? Grass isn't super long but it's not super short. Like a trimmed school field.

The other option I KNOW can run grass well is a 1/5 scale redcat shredder but it's a bit more expensive and the mah requirements for run time require big batteries which are costly.

if any other models are out there, please let me know.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
Far out man, like you said, on grass..... he he he.

Ok enough... I would think something like this would work well for you & the dog, just don't let it become a tire biter. Consider a truck body to cover up the tires. And 1/8 scale even!http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBRBL&P=7
Dec 08, 2012, 08:44 AM
^^ That requires motor/esc/batteries/transmitter/receiver/servo, probably another $400 in stuff.

I would also look at the stampede VXL, more ground clearance will definitely help with grass.

I've driven my XXT and 22T (both stadium trucks) on soccer fields before, and they work fine. Both have less ground clearance than a Slash so it *should* be ok too.
Dec 08, 2012, 09:14 AM
Just Fly!
+1 on the Stampede 4x4 VXL. Moderate grass is no problem.
Run it on 2 cell LiPo's and you should have no issues with heat. A heat sink on the motor will help, also.
My experience with Traxxas is very good, with parts widely available.

Troutbum
Dec 08, 2012, 11:20 AM
Traxxas is one top notch company. Combined w/ Horizon Hobby's customer service, one can't do better no doubt.
Dec 09, 2012, 04:14 PM
Obeying the law of gravity
Traxxas is really good. I would recommend the stampede too. I have a rustler and it does O.K. in grass, but it has about half the ground clearance of a stampede so the stampede would be a llot better. and go 4x4 for top performance. Good thing about the stampede is that it's fully waterproof and can be driven in rain/snow

Quick Reply