Bolt pattern - RC Groups
Dec 07, 2012, 09:22 AM
Discussion

Bolt pattern

Ok, I think this is a good forum to start but I can move the topic if I have to.

I have a 4X4 inch aluminum plate (1/8 inch thick) that needs 12 holes drilled in a very specific orientation. I know I should use CNC for this but...

Is there some piece of software that I can place dots with specific measurements and print it out. Then, tape the paper to my aluminum plate and smack each dot with a center punch?

Is there some better way of doing this that does not involve CNC?

Thanks,

- Joe
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
Duane, LSF IV
Just draw your template in Inkscape. Use guides to get accurate positions and angles. Or send me your specifications, and I'll send you a PDF.
Dec 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
Cool - I will give inkscape a shot. I really appreciate the offer on the PDF but right now my prototype is a cobbled-together, eyeballed rigging that works; but I need to do it right for this version - which means I have not measured and calculated everything yet.

Thanks a bunch for the link.

The chassis is for an on-board starter I am designing. As you can see - the aluminum I am currently using has a lot of flex (1/16 inch). I will go thicker and add L-shaped aluminum braces across the top as well.

Starter (0 min 11 sec)
Dec 07, 2012, 11:14 AM
Duane, LSF IV
Do you have a one-way bearing in there, or some way for the engine to run after it starts without driving the starter motor?
Dec 07, 2012, 11:21 AM
yup, there is a sprag on the flywheel gear.

I started a thread in the engine section on it - I am having lots of problems but that is the nature of anything I try to design.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1784305