Thread Tools
Apr 12, 2017, 07:44 PM
TOPDOG
Bother, shipping has made the deal fall though(not the sellers fault) seems like shipping around the world has skyrocketed.
I remember shipping a 1.8M A10 before for less than $60



Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier
I've replaced every servo that came with the plane. They were easily stripped. The original motor was needed to be run near full throttle for the type of flying I like to do.

I now have metal gear servos and use the largest Hobby King donkey motor and it perfoms just the way I like it. I think the HK motor cost about $13!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2017, 05:39 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
ooops, wrong decathlon thread...
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 02, 2017 at 06:27 AM.
Aug 09, 2017, 11:55 PM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
After the decimation of my Volantex 1400mm Decathlon due to flying too close to a mobile/cell tower and being mercilessly shot down, I decided to brush the dust off the X-UAV 1800mm (HK) Decathlon.

ESC had the stock motor stuttering so I went back to Plan A, Turnigy 5055 430kv 85 amp FMS esc on 6 cell.
One ails servo was dead out of the box, 2nd one jittered like mad, so all servos were replaced.
Brittle cowl was seriously cracked so I had held it together with tape externally while epoxy fibreglassed the inside. This was done some time ago.
Starboard main wing is perfectly straight, port wing is bent (droops).
Battery restraint. What a PITA!!! lol CG at 90mm has the 6s 5000mah just aft of cg marks, the bigger motor/prop/esc added a fair amount of weight to the nose so the lipo location conveniently fell to the fwd end of the underbelly hatch. After spending hours building a battery box I went an entirely different route- I doubled up the ply shelf in the battery area with 4mm ply, glued some epo blocks on the underside, carved in slots for velcro straps and voila! retains the lipo perfectly!
I decided to maiden with the stock tailwheel setup and stock mains but used 4" ally wheels and ommitted the foam spats. I read the main undercarriage was weak but surely if I grease her in, she'll be right... yeah?

Last weekend I committed to maiden.
Roll out and rotation was easy and scale, in the air docile and required half dozen clicks to arrest slight roll. Stab throttle and accelerated straight enough, slowed to a near crawl with nothing nasty, although I don't think I'd like to push luck too far.
Inverted barely any up elev.
After 7 mins I brought her down to check mah consumed, brought her in for a surprisingly smooth gentle landing, a nice end to a maiden... then noticed as she was taxiing back she was leaning over and by the time she was back to me she was on 30+ degree lean lol the cheese main gear sagged terribly while slowly taxiing!
That night I replaced the main gear with my old TS Cessna gear with a near perfect fit.
Sunday back up again and 4 flights later I walked away with a smile from ear to ear.
The 6 cell upgrade was perfect, will never be a speed demon nor should it be, but will vertical til the cows come home.
Tumbles, hammers, stall turns, inverted, and just literal throwing around... as well as just beautiful scale cruising around. She does it all.
The size has decent presence, looks great, easy greaser landings, just a lovely plane.
I wasn't holding any high hopes for it but I have been very very pleasantly surprised
My only gripe would be obviously the garbage stock main gear, and the total lack of anything at all in the cockpit. Yet the wing struts with U clamps and all look great, and wing removal is simply removing 2 bolts and loosen the spar clamps. Way too easy.
Bags of power with a most surprising 15 minute flight consuming approx 60% lipo with 30% of that flight doing sport aeros.
Kinda wished I had done something with it ages ago lol
Jan 22, 2018, 05:08 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
First trial fpv flights of my X-UAV 1800mm Decathlon
Now with a Tacon 60 on 6 cell
I need less spring in my main gear lol can't avoid bouncy bouncy landing

X UAV Decathlon 1800mm maiden fpv (scale) flights Jan 2018 (9 min 30 sec)
Feb 23, 2020, 09:23 PM
TOPDOG
After searching for a long time I finally managed to locate a NIB kit. An current considering 2 power options, a 6s 4050 550kv with 15x8, or a Greatplanes rimfire .32 4250 800kv 12x7 on 4s.

Anyone have any suggestions
Feb 24, 2020, 05:04 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacro
After searching for a long time I finally managed to locate a NIB kit. An current considering 2 power options, a 6s 4050 550kv with 15x8, or a Greatplanes rimfire .32 4250 800kv 12x7 on 4s.
Anyone have any suggestions
I haven't flown mine in a long time, in fact I haven't flown at all in well over a year due to personal circumstances.
From memory she flies on the wing as quite a heavy feeling bird. I think a 4 cell .32 motor would be more akin to a lethargic Cub. From memory I powered mine with a .60 motor on 6 cell. Flies great with more than enough power, enough to tow with ease.
Feb 24, 2020, 05:23 AM
TOPDOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
I haven't flown mine in a long time, in fact I haven't flown at all in well over a year due to personal circumstances.
From memory she flies on the wing as quite a heavy feeling bird. I think a 4 cell .32 motor would be more akin to a lethargic Cub. From memory I powered mine with a .60 motor on 6 cell. Flies great with more than enough power, enough to tow with ease.


I'm looking to keep it simple and hopefully only use a 4s.
I would like it to feel a bit like my FMS pa18, simple enough to lazily fly around but enough backup punch to do some general aerobics.
The Pa18 uses a 3541-750kv motor witha 12x7.5 and it has MORE than enough power. I remember powering my TS 1900 Cessna 182 witha FMS 3948-760Kv from their 3D series planes with a 14x7 prop and it had tons of power
Feb 24, 2020, 06:12 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacro
I'm looking to keep it simple and hopefully only use a 4s.
I would like it to feel a bit like my FMS pa18, simple enough to lazily fly around but enough backup punch to do some general aerobics.
The Pa18 uses a 3541-750kv motor witha 12x7.5 and it has MORE than enough power. I remember powering my TS 1900 Cessna 182 witha FMS 3948-760Kv from their 3D series planes with a 14x7 prop and it had tons of power
Sounds like your mind is made up
Beware: the cowl is extremely brittle. Before it cracks, if it isn't already, throw a layer or two of fibreglass on the inside. I bought mine NIB for something like $80 due to the cowl being horribly cracked up from the factory, the original owner didn't want to mess with repairing a brand new plane. I cut flaps into mine. Fun plane to fly, even being so much heavier than a balsa counterpart
Feb 24, 2020, 07:13 AM
TOPDOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
Sounds like your mind is made up
Beware: the cowl is extremely brittle. Before it cracks, if it isn't already, throw a layer or two of fibreglass on the inside. I bought mine NIB for something like $80 due to the cowl being horribly cracked up from the factory, the original owner didn't want to mess with repairing a brand new plane. I cut flaps into mine. Fun plane to fly, even being so much heavier than a balsa counterpart

Hahah, what I want doesn't always happen though.
A friend has a spare fms 4258 550kv from his olyumpus.
Gonna use that, if 6s is the way to go for power, then I guess that's the only way.

I was wondering why the 1800mm doesn't have flaps but their 1400mm does
Feb 25, 2020, 02:12 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacro
Hahah, what I want doesn't always happen though.
A friend has a spare fms 4258 550kv from his olyumpus.
Gonna use that, if 6s is the way to go for power, then I guess that's the only way.

I was wondering why the 1800mm doesn't have flaps but their 1400mm does
I think you'll be very happy with that motor, I've used them in other planes.
I didn't know X-UAV put out a 1400mm version, regardless I was a little surprised this 1800mm Dec didn't have flaps installed from factory.
I think you might want to change out the ally plate main gear too, or at least be prepared to replace. Unless I'm getting my Decathlons mixed up, pretty sure it was this one that started splaying out very early in the piece. Very weak metal. You can search this thread, I'm on my cell phone at the moment.
Also I'd be weary of the stock servos.
Apart from all the upgrades lol these do fly well
Feb 25, 2020, 03:26 AM
TOPDOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
I think you'll be very happy with that motor, I've used them in other planes.
I didn't know X-UAV put out a 1400mm version, regardless I was a little surprised this 1800mm Dec didn't have flaps installed from factory.
I think you might want to change out the ally plate main gear too, or at least be prepared to replace. Unless I'm getting my Decathlons mixed up, pretty sure it was this one that started splaying out very early in the piece. Very weak metal. You can search this thread, I'm on my cell phone at the moment.
Also I'd be weary of the stock servos.
Apart from all the upgrades lol these do fly well

The 1400mm version is a epo wing and control surfaces but an ABS fuse and comes stock power for 3s, and it isnt made by Xuav, but it's still sold under the Hobby King logo. I had one before, very stable but underpowered for 3s, I upgraded it to 4s but the battery bay hatch size and size of the bay limited it to 2200s so very short flights

The one I got is a kit, so I dont have to worry about crap servos, I have read this entire thread so I know about the LG issue, have a few spares from my old TS C182 and a few other 3d style planes.
Feb 25, 2020, 06:02 AM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacro
The 1400mm version is a epo wing and control surfaces but an ABS fuse and comes stock power for 3s, and it isnt made by Xuav, but it's still sold under the Hobby King logo. I had one before, very stable but underpowered for 3s, I upgraded it to 4s but the battery bay hatch size and size of the bay limited it to 2200s so very short flights

The one I got is a kit, so I dont have to worry about crap servos, I have read this entire thread so I know about the LG issue, have a few spares from my old TS C182 and a few other 3d style planes.
Glad you're aware of the servos and gear

That 1400mm was a Volantex (amongst other distributors). Similar story as with this 1800mm X-UAV... sad servos and underpowered. But repowered and revamped, a very fun plane! Flew the pants off mine both LOS and FPV, so much fun with that 1400mm Volantex!

I Love Flying 25042017 (4 min 14 sec)

Flying Fun Dec, Cub, & Bix's 25062017 (6 min 26 sec)

Decathlon Low level fun 30042017 (6 min 48 sec)
Feb 27, 2020, 10:46 AM
TOPDOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
Glad you're aware of the servos and gear

That 1400mm was a Volantex (amongst other distributors). Similar story as with this 1800mm X-UAV... sad servos and underpowered. But repowered and revamped, a very fun plane! Flew the pants off mine both LOS and FPV, so much fun with that 1400mm Volantex!

Well my kit arrived today, from one point of view its POS hahaha, the PVC roof peice doesn't fit, I dont see how the wings attach to the roots, the fuse is heavy as FxxK, the magnets on the hatch are so strong I almost cracked it trying to pull it out,and I'll probably cut slots in the board to run a strap through to hold the 6s in place.

On the other hand, its wonderful, I've always loved the decathlon but never really liked balsa planes enough to get a Seagull or Phoenix models, so despite all these flaws, I'll make this work


AussieHoppy, would you mind sharing some close ups of your flaps
Feb 27, 2020, 04:24 PM
what goes up, must come down..
AussieHoppy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacro
Well my kit arrived today, from one point of view its POS hahaha, the PVC roof peice doesn't fit, I dont see how the wings attach to the roots, the fuse is heavy as FxxK, the magnets on the hatch are so strong I almost cracked it trying to pull it out,and I'll probably cut slots in the board to run a strap through to hold the 6s in place.

On the other hand, its wonderful, I've always loved the decathlon but never really liked balsa planes enough to get a Seagull or Phoenix models, so despite all these flaws, I'll make this work


AussieHoppy, would you mind sharing some close ups of your flaps
All the above is true ha ha! I had forgotten my surprise when I first pulled it out of the box, although the tinted roof plastic did fit mine quite fine.
I'll dig mine out of storage and take some pics of the flaps and the location of the main wing fastening screws.
Despite the short comings, she is none-the-less a fun plane to fly, and I found the extra weight helps her tolerate more windy days.
Now you know why in part I suggested 6 cell lol
Feb 27, 2020, 08:48 PM
TOPDOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
All the above is true ha ha! I had forgotten my surprise when I first pulled it out of the box, although the tinted roof plastic did fit mine quite fine.
I'll dig mine out of storage and take some pics of the flaps and the location of the main wing fastening screws.
Despite the short comings, she is none-the-less a fun plane to fly, and I found the extra weight helps her tolerate more windy days.
Now you know why in part I suggested 6 cell lol

One thing I forgot to ask, are the side windows supposed to bulge like they are on mine? I kinda wanto buy a sheet of flat pvc and redo them flat

Also I have how did they expect anyone to do anything through that tiny hatch, if I'm going to 6s i kinda want to recut the hatch, I hate squeezing through small hatches and dinging up the sides of trying to arrange large cells through small places


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 1400mm wingspan EPO Super Decathlon from ESR HOBBY Gavin he Sport Planes 8 Jan 24, 2015 04:06 PM
Discussion $100 SCRATCH/DENT Decathlon 1800mm from USA warehouse. +10 in stock :O Koo Hot Online Deals 47 Apr 12, 2013 06:31 AM
Discussion Hobby King 1800mm Composite P-47 Olearsenewbie Electric Plane Talk 5 Nov 04, 2012 10:57 PM
Discussion Dynam (Hobby King) Piper Super Cub PA-18 - which replacement motor? romandesign Foamies (Kits) 2 May 28, 2012 01:41 PM
Discussion Hobby King KI-61 Hien!!!!!!!!!!!! 1800mm TripleW Glow to Electric Conversions 7 Feb 08, 2012 04:18 PM