Thread Tools
Dec 07, 2012, 03:14 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
MtnGoat is American, last time I checked, this ia an American chat site, so let's use American rules for him, right?
This is not a chat site. Neither is it solely American. It is an International site, with participants around the globe.
You are the one who brought up the term salubrious, not Mtn Goat, or anyone else, other than in using it in conversation
It appears that you have commented on it's use previously. Go figure.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:20 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
This is not a chat site.
OK, it's not a chat site.

It's not a site, and we don't chat.

Quote:
Neither is it solely American. It is an International site, with participants around the glibe.
Ownership is American I believe, not International.

Quote:
You are the one who brought up the term salubrious, not Mtn Goat, or anyone else, other than in using it in conversation
If you had read the thread context, you'd know why.

Quote:
It appears that you have commented on it's use previously. Go figure.
Yup, that's why I used it as an example. Oops, is "example" too big a word? Three syllables and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Looked pretty clear and concise to me before I hit send, and after as well.

My fav is being accused of choosing big or unusual words because I think I'm better than other people. This from a fellow who's sure so many other folks need to be told what to do for what he sees as their own good.
After seeing terms like "salubrious", and various Latin phrases being thrown around, I'm not sure why someone would complain about your posts.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:27 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
OK, it's not a chat site.

It's not a site, and we don't chat.
RCG does have a chat room, but this most definitely is not it.
Quote:
Ownership is American I believe, not International.
Not what I said. Participation in the site is international.
Quote:
If you had read the thread context, you'd know why.

Yup, that's why I used it as an example. Oops, is "example" too big a word? Three syllables and all.
I believe that those who were hung up on the more than three syllables thing are no more. Only on LTUP would it be considered laudible to decry a decent vocabulary and precise use of language. Thankfully those induhviduals* are long gone.

*Thanks to Scott Adams for the term
Dec 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
RCG does have a chat room, but this most definitely is not it.
I didn't say ,"chat room".

Quote:
Not what I said. Participation in the site is international.
I didn't say, "participation".

Quote:
I believe that those who were hung up on the more than three syllables thing are no more. Only on LTUP would it be considered laudible to decry a decent vocabulary and precise use of language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
Honestly mate, have you considered writing in English?
Dec 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Perhaps not using so many code phrases and not indulging in the use of inpenetrable grammar might help?
Dec 07, 2012, 03:47 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Perhaps not using so many code phrases and not indulging in the use of inpenetrable grammar might help?
He uses concepts which are familiar to anyone who has read up on Libertarianism. I think it's unfair to accuse him of not using English, when he actually is, just in a way that requires more than a cursory glance to understand.

He didn't obfuscate, as he easily could have, so I think the accusation unfounded.

I have seen in previous cases, accusations against his "English", where the accuser was simply ignorant of Libertarian concepts. It wasn't a case of MtnGoat;s English skills, it was a case of simply not having the frame of reference to properly evaluate his words. I think that also is the case, here.

If any of his "English tutors" can explain what Libertarian concepts are involved, without resorting to Google or similar, I will happy retract my opinion.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:55 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
He uses concepts which are familiar to anyone who has read up on Libertarianism. I think it's unfair to accuse him of not using English, when he actually is, just in a way that requires more than a cursory glance to understand.

He didn't obfuscate, as he easily could have, so I think the accusation unfounded.

I have seen in previous cases, accusations against his "English", where the accuser was simply ignorant of Libertarian concepts. It wasn't a case of MtnGoat;s English skills, it was a case of simply not having the frame of reference to properly evaluate his words. I think that also is the case, here.

If any of his "English tutors" can explain what Libertarian concepts are involved, without resorting to Google or similar, I will happy retract my opinion.
I have had many long conversations and discussions with Mtn Goat on the Libertarian concepts that he describes, without google, based on what has been posted and IIRC he has even agreed that I have paraphrased his position accurately. I expect that Mtn Goat has tge integrity to confirm that, in case you might have missed it.
None of that alters the fact that those libertarian concepts often play fast and loose in the redefinition of English in the adoption of code phrases, as referred to earlier.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
Useful Idiot
Anyone who writes in a language typical of a minority political group in a general forum should not be surprised when it results in difficult comprehension. If he wishes to make his points more understandable to the majority, more "normal" language might be the answer.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
I have had many long conversations and discussions with Mtn Goat on the Libertarian concepts that he describes, without google, based on what has been posted and IIRC he has even agreed that I have paraphrased his position accurately. I expect that Mtn Goat has tge integrity to confirm that, in case you might have missed it.
None of that alters the fact that those libertarian concepts often play fast and loose in the redefinition of English in the adoption of code phrases, as referred to earlier.
I do not remember you as one who claimed his posts were undreadable.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:59 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
Anyone who writes in a language typical of a minority political group in a general forum should not be surprised when it results in difficult comprehension. If he wishes to make his points more understandable to the majority, more "normal" language might be the answer.
Is there some part of his post that you found difficult to understand? Did his words not fit my explanation?
Dec 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
I do not remember you as one who claimed his posts were undreadable.
That would be correct. I certainly would not claim that Mtn Goat's posts are undreadable.
Dec 07, 2012, 04:03 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
Anyone who writes in a language typical of a minority political group in a general forum should not be surprised when it results in difficult comprehension. If he wishes to make his points more understandable to the majority, more "normal" language might be the answer.
Fair point, well made.
Dec 07, 2012, 04:47 PM
Restful User
Jacques Flambeau's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
Many Latin and Greek words make up English words, along with words from India, Germany, France, in fact all over the world.
The difference being that some are able to string them together in a way that despite being in some cases spelling and grammatically challenged, they can put "real" meaning across.
You read their posts, you understand them.
Goat posts garbage, wrapped up in verbose non speak.
I look at that verbosity as the Randian equivalent of NewSpeak.

--Bill
Dec 07, 2012, 05:33 PM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Is there some part of his post that you found difficult to understand? Did his words not fit my explanation?
If it was post 43, it didn't exactly flow off the tongue, but as I'm used to correcting English by native Spanish speakers, I might not be the best judge.
Dec 07, 2012, 05:37 PM
BE77 Pilot's Avatar
I have never seen a larger group attack on a member of LTUP since I have been here.
Last edited by BE77 Pilot; Dec 07, 2012 at 06:03 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold El Gringo and El Gringito Plan set W/ July 1970 RCM Mag. puplover Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 13, 2012 10:54 AM
Question DLG flying near in El Segundo Tehachapi Jim Hand Launch 5 May 24, 2010 11:51 AM
Question Where to fly zagi near El Segundo, CA serunderpar Flying Wings 0 Feb 13, 2008 07:56 PM
Discussion Mezclas? Incidencias? tips? Todo para el vuelo acrobatico y 3D ClarkR Mexico 118 May 11, 2007 12:44 PM
Discussion Tip para el 10 de Mayo Rana metalera Mexico 7 May 09, 2007 12:52 AM