America nears el tipping pointo - Page 5 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 07, 2012, 02:08 PM
Tu ne cede malis
MtnGoat's Avatar
We both know why.
Dec 07, 2012, 02:25 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Punkie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
I'm reasonably sure I already do. Folks who *don't* disagree with me never seem to have problems with understanding my words right off the bat.

It's impossible to write for an audience with a vested interest in not understanding them.
No, what you present especially in this post is the Emperors new clothes.
Those that want to be seen as being on your side, pretend they understand your nonsense and tell you how wonderful your posts are, the rest of the world goes around thinking something rather different.
But carry on, its fun reading.
Dec 07, 2012, 02:25 PM
Registered User
peterp1964's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
You didn't read the article.
so your OP is an intentional misrepresentation of the article. Well done !
Dec 07, 2012, 02:31 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Punkie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
After seeing terms like "salubrious", and various Latin phrases being thrown around, I'm not sure why someone would complain about your posts.
Many Latin and Greek words make up English words, along with words from India, Germany, France, in fact all over the world.
The difference being that some are able to string them together in a way that despite being in some cases spelling and grammatically challenged, they can put "real" meaning across.
You read their posts, you understand them.
Goat posts garbage, wrapped up in verbose non speak.
Dec 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
Many Latin and Greek words make up English words, along with words from India, Germany, France, in fact all over the world.
The difference being that some are able to string them together in a way that despite being in some cases spelling and grammatically challenged, they can put "real" meaning across.
You read their posts, you understand them.
Goat posts garbage, wrapped up in verbose non speak.
I would point out that at least twice, when some other poster complained about MtnGoat's posts, I could successfully explain them. Let's see if I can do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Not to mention the idea that words mean things, people and their lives, rights, and choices are ends not means, among other items.
Not to mention the idea that words mean things Self explanatory, right? Words do mean things especially when they are used or misused as justification for action.

people and their lives, rights, and choices are ends not means, It's the typical Libertarian position, where individual people are more important than some Socialistic paradigm that holds that the State's goals are more important than an individual's own goals, life, and well being. The State has the, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" paradigm. But what Goat stated was central to Libertarian thought where the State's power over positive rights is limited to agreement by each individual.

among other items I would say that he meant the list of Libertarian negative rights.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
After seeing terms like "salubrious", and various Latin phrases being thrown around, I'm not sure why someone would complain about your posts.
Salubrious is a word in general use and ought to be in the vocabulary of an average high school student. There is nothing remarkable about the term being used.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:08 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Salubrious is a word in general use and ought to be in the vocabulary of an average high school student. There is nothing remarkable about the term being used.
It took over two pages of Google search to find the word being used in other than a definition.

And really, MtnGoat didn't even use big words.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:12 PM
SUPERDOG!
BE77 Pilot's Avatar
I love this place.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:21 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
It took over two pages of Google search to find the word being used in other than a definition.

And really, MtnGoat didn't even use big words.
Maybe if one got out into the outside world instead of relying on the ridiculous notion that the position of a word in a google search was remotely relevant to it's use in real life?
Dec 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Maybe if one got out into the outside world instead of relying on the ridiculous notion that the position of a word in a google search was remotely relevant to it's use in real life?
OK, I don't believe that I've ever heard the word, "salubrious", in a conversation with my friends or acquaintances, and I've known a fair amount of Brits. The only reason I know the word, is from reading old books.

Say, when was the last three times that you used it, totally unprompted, in a conversation with your friends?

"A most salubrious day to you Sir Gareth of Orkney!"

"Forsooth, 'tis that, Count Yorga!"
Dec 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
We both know why.
I think that the above posts prove your knowledge out.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
OK, I don't believe that I've ever heard the word, "salubrious", in a conversation with my friends or acquaintances, and I've known a fair amount of Brits. The only reason I know the word, is from reading old books.

Say, when was the last three times that you used it, totally unprompted, in a conversation with your friends?

"A most salubrious day to you Sir Gareth of Orkney!"

"Forsooth, 'tis that, Count Yorga!"
The most typical use of the word would be in the everyday expression "less than salubrious" used routinely to describe something that is a bit naff, dingy, grubby, dirty, etcetera.
Like I said the term is in regular use in the English language.
Dec 07, 2012, 03:56 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
The most typical use of the word would be in the everyday expression "less than salubrious" used routinely to describe something that is a bit naff, dingy, grubby, dirty, etcetera.
Like I said the term is in regular use in the English language.
FYI, "naff", and "dingy" aren't in common use over here either. "dingy" has mainly gone out of common use, it's still used, but getting more rare. I don't believe that "naff" ever was in common use.

But I asked for specific examples. Have you actually used "salubrious" in conversation this last week?
Dec 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
Sloping off....
leccyflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
FYI, "naff", and "dingy" aren't in common use over here either. "dingy" has mainly gone out of common use, it's still used, but getting more rare. I don't believe that "naff" ever was in common use.

But I asked for specific examples.
Which I gave the most typical use of the term. You can believe that or not. You can even do anotger google search for the exact phrase, if you do not believe me.

Quote:
Have you actually used "salubrious" in conversation this last week?
Probably not, but I have not used "aileron", "fireguard", "light switch", "drudgery", "windlass", "earwig" or "creosote" either. None of which alters the fact that tge expression is an everyday one in regular use here.
The mistake you make is assuming that US English is the metric by which the language is to be judged and that is simply not the case.
Dec 07, 2012, 04:10 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
The mistake you make is assuming that US English is the metric by which the language is to be judged and that is simply not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
Honestly mate, have you considered writing in English?
MtnGoat is American, last time I checked, this is an American chat site, so let's use American rules for him, right?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold El Gringo and El Gringito Plan set W/ July 1970 RCM Mag. puplover Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 13, 2012 11:54 AM
Question DLG flying near in El Segundo Tehachapi Jim Hand Launch 5 May 24, 2010 12:51 PM
Question Where to fly zagi near El Segundo, CA serunderpar Flying Wings 0 Feb 13, 2008 08:56 PM
Discussion Mezclas? Incidencias? tips? Todo para el vuelo acrobatico y 3D ClarkR Mexico 118 May 11, 2007 01:44 PM
Discussion Tip para el 10 de Mayo Rana metalera Mexico 7 May 09, 2007 01:52 AM