Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Dec 07, 2012, 05:55 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
.

"I had a guy who builds several 100cc planes a year recommending the FUTM0715 servo (145.8 oz/in of torque) for a 50cc plane up to 92 inches wingspan. Pretty good deal at $40. But he doesn't fly extreme flight yet so he might not know the extreme throws that are possible with this plane."

PLEASE I beg of you, do not take this advice. I would wager that the 91" Extra EXP would not make one lap around the field before fluttering itself to pieces. The control surfaces on this plane are as large as some 40% aircraft and will need a lot of power to maintain deflection.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
by the time these planes get to market (especially the bigger gas planes) we have tested them throughly and considered all of this. This plane has been in development for 2 years. It has been flown as hard as anyone will ever fly it by the likes of Daniel and Michael Holman (these 2 guys probably put 100 flights on this plane while staying with me this past summer), Donatas Pauzuolis, Chris Jewett, RJ Gritter, Devin McGrath, and myself, with a variety of equipment. We feel very confident in our recommendations on how to equip the Extra and you can save a lot of time and effort and worrying by using the recommended gear. The gear that is available today is powerful, fast and reliable.
glad to have you there !!

i know the team prefers gas over electric setups and all recommendations about are public, however, what are the experiences about electric setups you made during thouse two years. powerwise, power compared to da-60, recommended prop,...etc...everything you know.
Dec 07, 2012, 06:10 PM
Сделайте Америку Великой Снова
7oneWo1f's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
.

"I had a guy who builds several 100cc planes a year recommending the FUTM0715 servo (145.8 oz/in of torque) for a 50cc plane up to 92 inches wingspan. Pretty good deal at $40. But he doesn't fly extreme flight yet so he might not know the extreme throws that are possible with this plane."

PLEASE I beg of you, do not take this advice. I would wager that the 91" Extra EXP would not make one lap around the field before fluttering itself to pieces. The control surfaces on this plane are as large as some 40% aircraft and will need a lot of power to maintain deflection.
LOL, no I won't take that advice to use such an underpowered servo....thanks for watching out for me
Dec 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng
glad to have you there !!

i know the team prefers gas over electric setups and all recommendations about are public, however, what are the experiences about electric setups you made during thouse two years. powerwise, power compared to da-60, recommended prop,...etc...everything you know.
I flew the first prototype for several months with the Rimfire 50cc on a 12S 8000mah set-up turning a 22x10 prop. Power was fantastic but flight times were 4-5 minutes. This is the plane that Daniel Holman flew in the 2011 XFC. RJ Gritter flew a prototype with the Hacker Q80, again power was great, but flight times were short and for the 2011 King 50 contest he switched to a DA-60. For me, and this is just my personal preference, I prefer a gas engine for this size plane. It is a lot of work to maintain several sets of 12S battereis and all the support equipment requred to fly as much as I like to fly when I go to the field. I feel that I am just getting warmed up when it is time to land with the electric setup. I believe it won't be long until the battery technology progresses to the point that 10-12 minute flights are the norm and then I will reconsider my position.
Dec 07, 2012, 06:24 PM
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
Not to detract from the conversation....but is there any chance of the red 91" Extras showing up by January?
Dec 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
I flew the first prototype for several months with the Rimfire 50cc on a 12S 8000mah set-up turning a 22x10 prop. Power was fantastic but flight times were 4-5 minutes. This is the plane that Daniel Holman flew in the 2011 XFC. RJ Gritter flew a prototype with the Hacker Q80, again power was great, but flight times were short and for the 2011 King 50 contest he switched to a DA-60. For me, and this is just my personal preference, I prefer a gas engine for this size plane. It is a lot of work to maintain several sets of 12S battereis and all the support equipment requred to fly as much as I like to fly when I go to the field. I feel that I am just getting warmed up when it is time to land with the electric setup. I believe it won't be long until the battery technology progresses to the point that 10-12 minute flights are the norm and then I will reconsider my position.
yes, flighttime is an issue. i cant fly gas at my flying field so i got to deal with it.
so the 22 inch prop felt enough for such a big plane?
i plan to go with a 25 inch prop. is it too big?
whats the ideal prop?
Dec 07, 2012, 07:08 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
The 22" prop was because of the motor Kv. A bigger prop would be beneficial although performance was quite nice with the 22".
The ideal prop will depend on the motor you use, but 24-25" would probably be great.
Dec 07, 2012, 07:11 PM
thx
Dec 07, 2012, 07:22 PM
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d
Not to detract from the conversation....but is there any chance of the red 91" Extras showing up by January?
I guess that's a no.
Dec 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d
I guess that's a no.
Sorry, I missed your post. I believe we will have more 91" red Extras by the end of January or shortly thereafter.
Dec 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
Sorry, I missed your post. I believe we will have more 91" red Extras by the end of January or shortly thereafter.
Right on. Around my birthday.

If you've talked at all with Daniel you'll know we haven't had much flying weather in the NW lately. I'll just save what I got for the airframe and get the DA combo from you guys.
Dec 07, 2012, 08:13 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
How long would this plane be without the rudder or spinner? I'm going to measure and see if it'll fit in the car. Otherwise it'll be an 88'' Edge for me....whenever they're back in stock.
Dec 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
any good youtube videos of this plane? I wasnt able to find much
Dec 07, 2012, 09:33 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21
any good youtube videos of this plane? I wasnt able to find much
You have to sign up for flight pass/higher plane productions. There are 2 or 3 videos of Daniel flying it.

There is even footage of the 78'' MXS and 60'' Laser
Dec 07, 2012, 10:17 PM
aka ECAA3D
m0dest's Avatar
2012 Joe Nall One Trick Contest - Daniel and Michael Holman.avi (3 min 7 sec)



one trick contest...this and jewetts are a tie for me.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP or 60" Extra 300 EXP Liberty10 3D Flying 12 Aug 10, 2012 10:36 PM
Sold Extreme Flight 60" Extra 300-EXP RTF hosam Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 May 15, 2012 06:05 AM
Found Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP fuselage... pilotuku Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 14, 2012 12:43 PM
Sold extreme flight extra 300 48" exp The_MonsterMash Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Apr 27, 2012 03:49 AM